PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you not give juice?

LucyG
01-26-2004, 09:55 PM
I haven't yet, and I'm wondering if there is a nutritional reason to start right now. DD is 11 months and exclusively breastfed (with solids too, of course). I think I've held off on the juice partially because my mom and MIL keep asking, "Well, have you given her juice yet? When are you going to give her juice?" etc. Enough already! She loves to drink water from a sippy, and I'd rather her drink that than get hooked on a sweet drink. I'm not opposed to juice, but it doesn't really seem necessary right now. I'll dilute it when we do start. Any thoughts?

Roleysmom
01-26-2004, 10:05 PM
I might be in the extreme here, but Roley was a little older than a year before she had her first cup of juice. I also didn't see any reason for it. She was eating fruit, so she didn't need juice to meet that need. I just wasn't in any hurry. Even now at two years, she's probably had no more than 10 cups of juice. She's doing just fine with milk and water.

Paula-- mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

kaitlinsmommy
01-26-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm on the same page. DD still hasn't had juice at 14 months. She gets sippies with water and milk. I just feel like there's a lot of sugar in juice and give her water instead.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-26-2004, 10:06 PM
I haven't given juice and don't have any plans to do so.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
01-26-2004, 10:09 PM
My DD does not like juice and she doesn't drink it. I have offered it to her a few times since she turned 1, and she doesn't like it. But there is absolutely no need for juice. It has virtually no nutritional value and can become a source of conflict.

HTH,

bluej
01-26-2004, 10:41 PM
I don't give juice either. My other two didn't really start drinking juice until preschool and that's about the only time they have it (at school).

cdlamis
01-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Count us in- we don't give juice either. I don't see the point. Julia did try OJ over the holidays and liked it but we only give her sips when we're drinking it which is maybe a few times a week. Our ped asked how much juice we give DD and I said none. She suprised me by saying "Good- keep it that way".

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35d0802848f *December pictures

Melanie
01-26-2004, 11:46 PM
We did not give any juice until Ds started having constipation problems around age 2. We are still mostly water since it's all I drink at home anyway.

wendmatt
01-27-2004, 02:55 AM
I'm the same, I didn't really see the point as dd eats fruit, so I haven't started her on juice, just water, which she seems happy with......getting her to drink milk is another story altogether!!

sntm
01-27-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't think there is any reason to start. I love juice, so I will probably give some diluted juice to Jack eventually, but as a treat (in lieu of Coke!) Water is the best for baby to drink (after BM or formula).

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

lizamann
01-27-2004, 10:38 AM
The only juice I give is the occasional prune juice when she gets constipated, which is fairly frequently, poor thing. Sometimes she screams when pooping! The prune juice takes care of that situation.

cchavez
01-27-2004, 11:28 AM
I agree. I have given Diego juice (pear or prune/apple) for constipation....but I would rather he drink water.

Jeanne
01-27-2004, 02:42 PM
I am not a fan of sugared drinks of any kind but my husband is in the food industry and is pretty much an expert on juice. We only give our 2.5 year old DD Orange or White Grape - 6oz each morning with breakfast. If it does not say 100% juice on the label than it has no nutritional value. Both Orange and White Grape at 100% contain vitamins that you cannot get in water, milk, or chewables. We don't give chewables. Food is the most efficient way of delivering vitamins. However, toddlers go through phases of not eating certain foods so it's not always possible to get a good dose of vitamins into them. Orange and White Grape at 100% offset some of that as well as offering Vitamin C levels that help stave off infections.

August Mom
01-27-2004, 03:01 PM
DS is 17 months and has not had juice. I have no plans to introduce it either because of high sugar content. He drinks milk and water only.

lizajane
01-27-2004, 05:13 PM
no juice for us! i am a sugar addict, so i see no reason to start schuyler off with my bad habits. i don't intend to give him cookies, either. what's the point!!

Jeanne
01-27-2004, 05:28 PM
I just wrote an email about juice and it didn't post. Not sure what happened so I'll try it again.

AngelaS
01-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Neither of my kids got juice until at least 18 months. And then it was diluted orange juice once a week or so. They don't NEED juice, so why get them accustomed to 'sweet water'? :D

JElaineB
01-28-2004, 11:27 AM
My son has never had any juice except for very small sips of my orange juice some mornings. He only drinks water or milk. I am not totally opposed to giving him diluted juice occasionally at this point, but I don't really feel any great need to give it to him either. I figure it is better if he just drinks water (which he really likes) and does not get used to sugary drinks. He'll have plenty of time to like them later!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02