PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Nutrition??

bnme
01-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Reading posts about what your kids are eating got me thinking...
My 1 yr old eats many of the same foods as a typical toddler, but has his days where he is extremely picky and they seem to be getting more and more common.

The only things I know he will eat for sure are cheerios, yogurt, most fruits (jarred or fresh) and cheese. And most of the time he refuses all meats. But he eats pasta, pancakes, string beans, whole wheat bread, and infant cereal fairly regularly. And occasionally will eat broccoli or chicken or eggs.

How can I be sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs now that he is not drinking formula (not that formula is healthier than milk, but I felt it had all his requirements in it since for a time he drank that exclusively)? He drinks at least 20 oz of milk a day (which my ped says is too much (?)).

Any thoughts appreciated.

JElaineB
01-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Sounds like your son eats lots of things! My son goes through phases where he changes his food preferences. For example, for a while he LOVED cheese for breakfast and sometimes would eat 2 slices of American cheese. Now he won't touch the stuff. I just try to give him choices that are healthy overall, and make sure he gets something from at least 3 different food groups at each meal. DS drinks about 16 oz. of whole milk a day which his doctor said was perfect, she said most kids do drink a lot more though. I guess if you want to make sure he is getting enough vitamins you can give a vitamin supplement but you should check with you doctor on that. I started to give him vitamins when he was around a year old because I felt the same as you when we first went off formula, but it was such a struggle that I gave it up and just figure he will eat what he needs to get all his nutrients as long as I offer him a healthy and varied diet.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sntm
01-28-2004, 03:46 PM
i don't have a toddler, but i think other moms have posted that when they restrict the amount of milk he drinks, he should start eating more. they get full on milk which provides fat and calories and some vitamins but not all.
i don't know what the current rec is but 20 oz does sound high.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

egoldber
01-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Just remember, it is your job to offer him good nutritious food, and it is his job to decide how much and what to eat. But toddlers are VERY smart! They learn very quickly that if you offer them chicken, broccoli and rice for dinner, and they don't eat it, that you will whip out the yogurt. And they will start to refuse dinner in favor of the yogurt.

My ped says no more than 16 ounces of milk a day and 12 ounces or so is ideal. For a long time my DD drank around that (although I didn't really keep track). But after awhile, I'm not sure how, I realized she was drinking more like 24 ounces day and that her food consumption was way down! I have cut her milk back down to 16 ounces ounces and she is eating a lot more. Now when she asks for more milk, I encourage water instead.

Good luck! Feeding the toddler can be nervewracking at times!

kaitlinsmommy
01-28-2004, 11:29 PM
My ped just told me the same thing last week. All dd wanted to eat was mac & cheese & Goldfish crackers (because I had fallen into the trap and was worried she wouldn't eat enough). He told me it's my job to offer her a variety of healthy foods & when she's hungry, she'll eat it. He said it's very common after 14 months for kids to eat like a bird one day and parents get so worried they offer kid-desired but less nutritious food.

As for the milk, she drinks maybe 8 oz. a day but still bf too.