PDA

View Full Version : he's on, then off, then on again, then off again!!

Java
01-30-2004, 01:53 AM
Lately 4 month old DS has been, shall we say, lacking focus on the task of nursing. He latches on, then looks around, pops off then sucks real hard and re-latches. Repeat.

In case I wasn't clear: he's STILL latched when he looks around and ends up dragging my nipples all over the place! OUCH!

I frantically try to pop him off but by then the suction is already broken and he's popped off. He takes a moment to grin at me then sucks really hard and *voop* the nipple gets Hoovered back in his mouth.

I know that he's distracted, and I'm trying to nurse him in a boring environment. No TV, no radio, etc. But he's still looking around. Maybe he needs something to look at while he's nursing: so I have his toy on my chest, have him clutch something in his hands... and he still looks around!

What can I do??

COElizabeth
01-30-2004, 02:50 AM
I never came up with any solutions, really, but I can tell you that this distracted phase did eventually pass!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

houseof3boys
01-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Yup, it happens to all of them! Ryan still does it at 7.5 months if we aren't in his usual spot. When they are really hungry, they will eat without distraction. Until then just keep trying to pop him off if he drags your nipples around (LOL). I used to have Ryan hold my finger that was near my nipple so I could speedy pop him off if he started pulling me around.

It does get a bit better but it's part of the fun now!

Some people find success with nursing necklaces so you could do a search and read some experiences on those to see if that's something you would want to try.

drsweetie
01-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Normal! Painful, but normal. It's because now he's more alert and attuned to his environment in general. It will at least decrease in frequency over time. I don't have any good suggestions for dealing with it, but at least know that I empathize (been there!).

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03

KGoes
01-30-2004, 11:06 AM
The only success I had (and this was limited) was gently massaging or scratching her head while she was nursing. Fortunately, this phase passed, and we only revisit it when a distraction (normally of the canine variety) starts us off.

Kelley
DD born 7/03

momma_boo
01-30-2004, 12:11 PM
It'll get better... it did for me, anyway. This is a pretty frequent occurrence in this age.

Sarah still gets distracted if DH walks into the room. She pops off, flashes him a big grin, then goes back to business.

sarahfran
01-31-2004, 01:27 AM
Ditto. Been there. Still there, actually. When I let out a squack "OWW!" Dylan just chomps down in a grin. I'm much less amused than he by the whole thing.

My only consolation is that even with Dylan's new tricks I much prefer nursing him to pumping.

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!