PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to milk/soy after one year

hellokitty1
01-31-2004, 01:26 AM
This isn't an urgent question but I've been thinking about it lately as a result of our 9 month checkup. I asked the ped what we would do if Sydney continues to have a milk/soy allergy after she turns one since normally, she would be able to move to cow's milk. He said we could either continue on Nutrimagen (but obviously need less since she is eating more) or to not have any milk and take supplement.

What are your thoughts on these two options?

mom2kandj
01-31-2004, 11:30 AM
What about Nutrimagen and then transition to rice milk? Because soy and rice milks tend to be lowfat, I'd make sure to keep her diet higher in fat until she gets older. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

hellokitty1
02-06-2004, 10:39 PM
This rice milk website says it's 99% fat free. I would think that's way too little fat. What do you think?

http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/products/ricedream.html

etwahl
02-06-2004, 10:48 PM
vivian, i wonder if you'd get better response on www.mothering.com boards? it's worth a try. i also wonder that - i was off dairy and soy for the first six months because she was sensitive, but i think one of the two will work for our dd. i'm planning to probably go with soy first, because that's what we used to drink. i still drink rice milk from my elimination diet (i'm used to it) but i defintely don't think that's enough fat for a toddler at all.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

egoldber
02-06-2004, 10:52 PM
A supplement for what? Milk is NOT required for toddlers. What is required are fat, calcium, vitamin D, and various B vitamins, all of which milk has plenty of. But there is no requirement that they drink milk as long as they get that stuff from other sources. And generally, peds are recommending no more than 12-16 ounces of milk a day for babies over 1.

HTH,

mom2kandj
02-07-2004, 02:34 AM
Most of your soy and rice milks are going to be low or nonfat. We are very lucky that the kids can tolerate small amounts of dairy in butter and cheese which are higher in fat and help balance the lowfat soymilk.

FWIW, my kids average about 8-16oz of soymilk per day. I try to prepare most foods with soymilk as it is just easier on the kids. (DH would rather not have the soymilk, but we practice *don't ask, don't tell*) In your case, if you don't want to give the rice milk as a regular drink, I would use it as a cooking ingredient and a substitute for those things where you really *need* milk, like on cereal or in a smoothie.

A friend's little guy is allergic to soy and dairy and she has had success with almond milk, which I would expect to be higher in fat. The bad thing about almond milk is that it is a nut based milk and we wouldn't even take the chance before age three in our house! Living with food allergies is a daily struggle, but it can be done! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02