PDA

View Full Version : Soy milk at 12 months

liya
01-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Anyone done this? We tried the whole milk on Ari(dr actually wanted to, to see how he reacted) and well it was horrible. He threw up, his bum was red all the time. He was in such horrible pain. The dr told us to use the isomil or soy milk 2 and honestly im just a tad hesitant about it. Just because i do feel they are a waste of money. I was thinking of just feeding him regular soy milk when he turns 12 months. But im also scared of this as well...

\TIA

JElaineB
01-31-2004, 01:54 PM
I just use cow's milk, but if you use soy milk you need to check out the fat content. Until age 2 they should be getting whole milk, which has 8 grams of fat per cup (8 oz.) for whole cow's milk. A lot of soy milk has much less than that. So you should probably try find a soy milk that has 7-8 grams fat per cup.

Have you tried goat's milk to see if he has the same reaction? It is expensive, but it has 7 grams of fat per cup. I can find quarts of it fresh at Walmart SuperCenter or it also comes in aseptic packaging (like juice boxes) and cans in the grocery aisles of Walmart and my natural foods co-op.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

liya
01-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Same reaction to goats. He is really really intolerant. And for once i dont think its the lactose i just think its the milk per say. I cant drink milk whatsoever eaither sooo I do believe its inherited but i can(different with im though) drink lacto free milk...

lizajane
01-31-2004, 03:10 PM
we all drink soy milk around here, so that is what we will do. one dr said i could give it to him at 9 months, another said i have to wait until 12. so i may try a tiny bit mixed with potatoes at 11 months, and work my way up to his drinking it.

Momof3Labs
01-31-2004, 04:31 PM
We tried soy milk but Colin did NOT like it. He eventually took the lactose free milk (and still does) but his problem is lactose intolerance, not a full dairy sensitivity.

If you give soy milk, I would just watch how much he drinks since it is lower in fat.

ETA: Linda, Ari's response sounds like lactose intolerance instead of a milk allergy. Dr. Sears has a pretty good write-up on his site; you might want to check it out. If it is lactose intolerance, I'd suggest trying the lactose free milk instead of soy milk.

jra
01-31-2004, 05:22 PM
When we tried switching my son to regular milk at 12 months, we discovered that he is lactose intolerant, so we tried soy. What a mistake that was. The soy caused diarreah and gas much worse than the regular milk did and it didn't go away very quickly either. He also ended up with a major diaper rash that required a prescription cream to help it heal. He is now drinking lactose free with no problems.

Jennifer

gamommy2noahnavery
01-31-2004, 08:27 PM
I use soy with my baby as well. My DR just told me that Avery need the equivilant of 2 cups per day of the fat content of whole milk. I use the silk vanilla and she loves it. She has never had any issues with it at all. Of course, you can also give baby plain as baby is not aware of flavors, but since everyone in my family (except me) drinks soy then we just buy TONS of vanilla every week.