PDA

View Full Version : Solids questions--are we going too fast? (sorry, long)

sadie427
01-31-2004, 01:06 PM
We just started solids, and I have some questions. I had planned to wait until 6 months, which is what the pediatrician had said, but he was showing a lot of the signs (fascinated by my food, grabbing at it, sitting well.) Also, he just seemed so hungry--I know that's not necessarily one of the signs, and it's better for him to nurse more often, but my instincts were telling me to try solids so I did. So we started at about 5 months and one week, and he loved it. Ate 2 tablespoons of rice cereal the first day, reasonably thick. I did rice cereal for about a week, following his lead and giving him as much as he wanted, but that meant he ate 4 tbs one evening and didn't poop for 5 days!

I had planned to follow Satter's book, I really liked what she said, and keep him on the rice cereal till he was eating two fairly large thick and lumpy servings a day. (She says its best if you work up to this over a month or more.) But I was nervous about adding a second meal so soon. So I've slowly introduced other foods, for the experience but mostly to try some higher fiber things so he won't get constipated. I've tried sweet potato, baby oatmeal, avocado (not high fiber, but so delicious I couldn't resist, and I wanted something less sweet) and will try peas next. He generally eats quite a bit--won't give him more than 2-3 tbs cereal and a few tbs of veggie, till I know what constipates him. It doesn't seem to be replacing nursing--I do it 1/2 way between his evening nursing sessions, and he still nurses with enthusiasm before bed. He does seem to sleep a little longer at night--his first wakening is more reliably at 2am rather than sometimes at midnight--so perhaps he is less hungry at night.

So I guess the question is, I want to follow Sammy's lead, and I think he's telling me he wants more. I think I have a champion eater! But could this get us going too fast? I'm sure he'd eat a second meal if I gave it to him, but does that mean I should? How much food is too much? I really don't want to replace nursing. This is hard to figure out--don't have many people to advise me in real life as a lot of my friends seem to just start their babies on food at 4 months, and move quickly to 3 meals a day.

Two other random questions about orange veggies:
1-I read you shouldn't give homemade carrots as they could be too high in nitrates--is that really true? Even with organic? And how do you know that the jarred ones aren't high in nitrates anyway? Bought a jar of Earth's Best carrots and it doesn't say anything about it. I prefer to make my own--it's easy just to steam and mash, and he does so well with a little texture, like fork-mashed sweet potatoes, that I'd rather not give him the really smooth jarred stuff.

2. How much orange veggies is too much? I heard that your baby can turn orange with too much sweet potatoes, etc, and my aunt tells me she really did turn my cousin's nose orange. But Sammy loves his sweet potatoes, and it helps with the constipation. How much can he have without getting too much carotene?

Thanks!

egoldber
01-31-2004, 03:17 PM
I would make sure to nurse him first anmd make sure that solids are second. At this age, solids are for practice and not for nutrition. I would also wait the full 3 days between veggies. I followed the Satter plan to the tee (we had no issues with constipation though), but mainly switched to oatmeal after the first or second week. It actually took me a long time to get through all the various fruits and veggies. I would just make sure not to fall into the pureed foods trap, unless he seems to need them.

I would also not feed him one food exclusively. Make sure to give him a variety. Even when trying out a new food, he doesn't have to have that food at every meal. That will help to prevent the "orange" effect, LOL! :)

And as long as solids are not replacing any nursing sessions at this point, I would follow his lead and let him eat as much as he seems to want. But if it seems to interfere with nursing, then I would cut back on solids.

HTH,

malie
01-31-2004, 04:26 PM
As far as the carrots go unless you know for sure because they have been test, then whether you buy organic or not is not enough

Nitrate levels in plants are determined by a number of factors, such as variety of plant, light intensity, climate, soil, and by the nitrogen supply. Nitrogen, specifically amount, availability during growth, and time of application to the plant, has been considered as the source of nitrate variability in most studies comparing organically versus conventionally grown produce. In many organic fertilizers, the organically-bound nitrogen is relatively insoluble and must be mineralized before it can be used by the plant. In contrast, the nitrogen in mineral fertilizers is soluble and in usable form as applied.

There is considerable evidence from controlled experiments that some organic fertilizers result in lower nitrate concentrations in plants compared to conventional fertilization. However, when conditions are as not carefully controlled, differences in nitrate levels between the two fertilization practices become less apparent, or the conclusions drawn less supportable. http://www.eap.mcgill.ca/Publications/EAP38.htm

Baby food makers in theory only buy carrots from areas of the country that have been tested to be low in nitrates

mharling
01-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi Susan!
Just a quick note about our experience.

We added a second meal about a month after we started cereal. Lane was about the same as Sammy was when we started, so I guess he was just over 6 months when we did the second meal. I was also nervous about solids replacing nursing, but at that time, I actually think he nursed more because I would always nurse before the solids and offer again after the solids. He still maintained his longer nursing sessions.

He nurses a little less now than he did. I asked the ped about it and she said at his age (almost 10 months) he should be getting about 24 ounces/day. With 3-4 good nursing sessions and some snacking, I am confident that he's getting that. I know you didn't ask about this, but hope it does help down the road as you continue navigating through solids.

It sounds like you're doing a great job watching him and following his lead. Good for you!! Continue doing that and you'll be fine.

*Edited to add this link that discusses nitrates (interesting info regardless if you plan to use jarred or fresh).
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b346cc5b6556 - New pics 1/26

jennifer13
01-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi Susan,

We were on pretty much the same plan- intended to wait until 6 months but Norah was showing all the signs so we started at around 5. It evolved into 2 meals a day until last week when she turned 8 months. So at breakfast I gave her cereal and fruit, and then gave her dinner of vegetables, and sometimes more fruit because we were dealing with constipation too. (Pureed pears are very effective. Bananas can be constipating) I think the issue is to make sure he's not nursing less. It never affected Norah's nursing, and now that she's almost completely weaned it hasn't affected her bottle feeding either. If it seems to have an effect, then you can cut back.

I had never heard that about the orange veggies, now I'm paranoid! Norah loves squash.

Oh and FWIW, it may be that he's sleeping a little more just because he's older, not because he's eating solids.

Seems to me that watching the baby's cues is the best way to go, and that's exactly what you are doing!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

jennifer13
01-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Delete- Double post, sorry!

sadie427
01-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks so much! In terms of the "pureed foods" trap, I'm definitely not trying to make stuff too smooth, but I am a little worried about choking. I've just mashed things well with a fork, so it still has little tiny lumps, is that enough texture? And the baby oatmeal I've been making just a little thinner than what I would eat. It's definitely more texture than the jars, I did open a jar of Earth's Best sweet potatoes when I ran out of the homemade and they were liquidy, definitely way smoother than what I was doing.