PDA

View Full Version : Uh...Is He not hungry or what??

todzwife
02-03-2004, 05:50 PM
He's started a new trick...playing with my nipple, smiling at it, petting it...but he won't eat! He sucks for 10 seconds and pops off and smiles at me. Sure it's so cute, but I am so engorged! He hasn't really eaten since 6 this morning...all the other times I have tried to feed him he just snacks and plays. I am going to pump, but I have no idea when this is going to stop- if at all! Any ideas? I am hurting!

*He's not grumpy, but his hands are constantly in his mouth- teeth this early?
*No "stuff" indicating thrush.
I am stumped!

s_gosney
02-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Shandelle,
Kylee has started doing something similar. She's really taken to the popping off and looking at me thing. Eventually I just put it away and she eats when she's really hungry. She hasn't gone so long without really eating that I've had problems with engorgement though. I'm interested to see what others say.
Kylee's also eating her hands all the time too.
Sorry, no answers just letting you know we're right there with you. Hope you get it figured out.

new_mommy25
02-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Noaha ctually started doing that around the same age. At this point they are starting to discover the outside world and everything is so new and exciting that they can't be bothered with something like feeding! Noah is quite a snacker and it's hard sometimes to get him to eat during the day. Of course all the does is turn him into a marathon nurser in the evenings. This is what I do. Take DS into my bedroom and turn the lights off. Lay down with him in bed, cover us with the sheet and nurse and snuggle. THis is also a very effective way to get him down for a nap. I did sort of set myself up for disastor though because these days he only wants to nurse lying down.

todzwife
02-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Good to know that this is another "normal" little quirk that babies go through. I guess I will just ride it out for now. It's strange because he will nurse on my left side, but not my right- but my right is my super boob... so it HURTS! Thank goodness for the pump!

lizajane
02-03-2004, 08:09 PM
hee hee... he loooooooooooves you. you are sooooooooo pretty.

he's got a crush on you. :)

todzwife
02-03-2004, 09:03 PM
LOL! Thanks Liza! Your post made me giggle!

tarheelmom
02-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Shandelle - My ds was born a few days after Dallin and he just started doing the very same thing!! He keeps popping off and smiling at me. I've been engorged too, and it is a little frustrating. Also, his hands are always in his mouth...it's funny that you said that about teething because dh and I were just wondering about that too. My first ds was a late teether, so we didn't think it was that, but you never know! Sigh...you'd think I'd know more about this whole "Mom" thing since it's my 2nd time around!!

Carmen
Mom to Ryan 8/07/01
and Seth 10/10/03

drsweetie
02-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Laura did a similar thing at that age, so I think it's basically normal, but if he's starting to prefer one side to another, he might have an ear infection, especially if he seems fussy when you try to get him to nurse on the right.

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03

heva
02-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Nash has taken to smiling with my nipple in his mouth...aren't they funny?