PDA

View Full Version : How much formula to feed?

Bridget
02-04-2004, 02:53 PM
We are breast feeding and supplementing with a bottle of formula given by my husband at night so that I can get a little rest. Last night I am told the baby drank 3 oz of breast milk and then another 3 oz of formula! This seems like alot of food to me! Does anyone know where I can find guidelines for the right amount of formula an infant should be drinking? My DD is 3 1/2 weeks old. Thanks

Bridget
Mom to Amy Grace 1/9/04

SeekerMage
02-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Hmmm, Im not sure about the right amount of formula to give, but it sounds either like she was really hungry, or just wanted to suck. She could be going through a growth spurt and therefore eating a lot more. We have always given a bottle with breastfeeding since she was born, usually an evening or morning feeding....she is now 10 weeks and only just up to 4oz of EBM so 6oz total seems like a lot to me. I would try the 3oz of EBM and then try a pacifier in her mouth while rocking or holding her and see if she is satisfied with just the sucking. If she spits it out right away its because she doesnt have the right suck, you have to hold it in for a few seconds until she gets a grip on it. Lil'bit is a binki baby but she still needs us to hold it in for her at first sometimes.

Another thing to consider is if you have the bottle lid on tight enough and if she has a slow enough flow nipple. If she is sucking it down to fast she will drink more because of the need to suck vs the need to eat. Tighten the lid as tight as possible on the bottle and tip it over, if it drips a drop of two thats what you are looking for (in my opinion) but if you get a spray of milk coming out thats too fast. This has atleast been our experience with Lil'bit. She sometimes crys after finishing her bottle but we know its from her want to suck not lack of food. She is satisfied with her binki or even a change in position. If offered more food she may or may not take it. However, I do not worry if she isnt getting enough, she is in the 75% for weight and very content so we must be doing something right! Anyhow....each baby is different so its really hard to tell. Trust your instincts and if she seems hungry, then give her the food, but if it seems more a sucking need (does she suck a lot while nursing - not swallowing but chomping more) if so then its a sucking need more then anything. HTH