PDA

View Full Version : Help me teach DD that my nipple is not a teething ring!

s_gosney
02-04-2004, 06:04 PM
So...suggestions anyone? No teeth yet, but she's gumming like crazy and it hurts! We've got to break this habit especially before her teeth come in! TIA!

papal
02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
No suggestions.. but OUCH!! I had posted in the lounge about what to give baby when they are gumming (Leela is gumming too)..and Jamie suggested getting the Baby Safe Feeder and putting some ice or frozen EBM in it. I am going to try that and see if it helps any. Leela is chewing away at her fist right and lower lip right now.. but she might enjoy some variety.. and no harm getting some calories into her while she is at it. :)

Rashmi
(mom to Leela, born 10.17.03)

s_gosney
02-06-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm bumping this up because I really need help!
She's too young to understand "no"...I'm at a loss what to do.
Help please!

s_gosney
02-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Rashmi-
Have you tried the BSF yet? If so, what do you think? Can it be found at stores or just online. I think I'm going to maybe try it, but I just wanted to see what you had decided.

papal
02-06-2004, 02:13 PM
I have not tried the BSF yet.. darn BrU did not have it.. i am going to order it online today. Have you tried giving her a washcloth to chew on? Does she not like her fingers/fist/pacifier? Wish i could help more.. will let you know about the BsF as soon as i get it.

Rashmi
(mom to Leela, born 10.17.03)

momma_boo
02-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi Sherri,

My DD didn't usually gnaw on me but when she does, that's my sign to end the feeding. If she's hungry, she is all business. As soon as she starts to try to bite/gnaw on my nipple, she's done.

momma_boo
02-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Edited -- double post for some reason!

barbarhow
02-07-2004, 12:31 PM
She may be too young to understand no-but I believe that they do understand cause and effect and I would agree with Joey-if she is chewing on you-she isn't eating so end the session. When Jack would start doing this I would say "No. You hurt mommy." Cover up my breast and offer him a teething ring. He rarely bites now-Can't remember when he last did-has 8 teeth and molars coming in.
The other thing to try is the Hylands teething tablets. They work wonders.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

s_gosney
02-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks ladies! I will try these suggestions!

papal
02-15-2004, 01:36 AM
Sherri.. i finally got the Baby Safe Feeder and HIGHLY recommend it. Yesterday i gave Leela a frozen baby carrot in it and she chomped away on it like crazy. Later i panicked because i was not sure whether i should have boiled/steamed it first and then froze it.
Today i cut up little slices of banana and froze them and gave that to her. Once again she loved it. At first she was a bit wary but soon she started chomping away on it.
I think it is a great way for her to get to taste different foods also, even though it is a bit early. I wish she knew how to hold it on her own though.. she still has not mastered her hand-eye co-ordination (even her thumb-sucking is a hit and miss).

votre_ami03
02-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Sherri, I was bit (w/teeth) for the first time yesterday. Ouch! Nolan is 6 1/2 mos old though. The first time it was kind of an accident, he was tired, the last 4 or 5 times he thought it was funny (different session), I stopped nursing as well. He didn''t do it again later, TG!

Btw, when he was smaller (he cut tooth 1 at 4 mos & tooth 2 at 5 mos), he gnawed on his soft Lamaze toys, washcloths (frozen & not) & bibs. As he was able to sit up, I introduced biscuits.

I know my BRU carried the Safe Feeder. I thought another mom mentioned finding one at Wal-Mart too, but I had no luck.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

s_gosney
02-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Christy- yeah, the biting with teeth is the part I'm definitely dreading. It hurts bad enough when she clamps down with just her gums. At this point, DD pretty much chews on everything she can including her doll, her clothes, my clothes, and whoever's fingers happen to be close.
Rashmi- thanks for the review! I might have to test it out. How does it work though? Does the baby actually get some of the food or just liquid? I hadn't planned to start solids yet, but I don't know that it really matters...hmmm. We're going in for Kylee's 4 mo check-up next week so maybe I'll talk to the ped about it then. I know what you mean about wishing Leela could hold it herself though. Kylee's hand-eye coordination is still lacking too. If I give her something to chew on, she usually get confused and chews on the backside of her hand with the teether hanging out in front of her. LOL.

papal
02-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Sherri.. yesterday i gave Leela a frozen grape in the BSF.. it takes her 15 minutes to chew and then suck on it to get all the juices out. No large particles ofsolids can come thru the mesh.. just the liquids (or a fine paste).. and it is such a small quantity I don't think it can be of any harm. Infact i think it is a great way to introduce different tastes and textures. So far we have tried frozen banana, carrot and grape. I am going to try apples and pears next (i think i will steam them first and then freeze them).

LOL. I know what you are talking about when you say Kylee gets her teether-hand confused.. i wonder when they start holding things on their own (especially their pacifiers!!).