PDA

View Full Version : Healthiest/Best tasting jarred baby food

essnce629
02-05-2004, 05:35 AM
I plan on making all of my baby's food, but I also want to buy some in jars to take when I go on trips to my grandmother's house and I also plan on buying jarred carrots. I have the 4th edition book that rates Earth's Best highest, but I was also wondering about Gerber's Tender Harvest line. How does it compare to Earth's Best? Pricewise, tastewise, baby's preference... TIA.

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03

stillplayswithbarbies
02-05-2004, 10:00 AM
I have found it to be a little cheaper, although that varies with sales and coupons, and to taste just as good. (yes, I taste it all, even the nasty prunes)

I use both brands

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
02-05-2004, 10:13 AM
gerber TH has some flavors that earth's best doesn't, so we use a combination, with some homemade.
i can find earth's best cheaper if i buy on sale with coupons at whole foods but gerber's TH had some buy one get one free coupons a while back so we got several that way at krogers.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

lrg
02-05-2004, 12:41 PM
I've used all 3 (those plus Naturally Preferred)- whichever I needed to get as much variety as possible. I also made a whole bunch of food, but found that my son likes the jars better! I often had to throw out what I tried to feed him from the home-made stash or else disguise it by mixing it with the jarred or yogurt or something. (yogurt once he was older)

EB seemed to be the most expensive around here. I never saw coupons anywhere, Kroger sometimes had sales where instead of .59 a jar the Nat Pref were .50 a jar.

I have found that I can't get a huge variety in the organic and have recently started to wonder if I need to start purchasing from the regular jars (for the variety) just until I can get him to eat pieces and feed himself. (an issue we're working on) Kroger has been inconsistent with always carrying the same foods, so some favorites are not always available. I found Publix to only carry a very small variety of the Tender Harvest and nothing else.

nathansmom
02-05-2004, 01:25 PM
As someone who has been living off of baby food for the last 3 weeks I think I can tell you which ones are the best flavored. The Earth's best is yummy but is hard to find in my area. The Tender Harvest line I think has better tasting meat flavor. Both lines are yummy in fruit but I give the edge to Earths best in veggies.