PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to 3 meals a day? And what about wheat?

alkagift
02-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey there! 8.5 month-old DS is managing 1/4 cup of cereal (dry measure) and a couple of tablespoons of something else (mashed fruit, veggies) with a bit of puffed rice cereal twice a day. He really only started getting good at solids at about 7 months, so we've been doing 2x a day consistently for about a month. When should he be getting more? I don't see any dramatic behavior that would tell me "hey mom, I'm hungry again!" He's still nursing 4 times during the day and once at (yawn) 2 am. When did you make the transition to a more "grown up" schedule? Did your baby give you any signs?

Also, I'm wondering when wheat products are provided--the ped's office isn't helpful since their imaginary food timeline assumes that DS started solids at 4 months so I can't really tell what to do. My only comparitor is my SIL's child who is two weeks older than Matthew and he essentially eats everything--yogurt, teething crackers, pasta, you name it.

Thanks everyone!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

sntm
02-05-2004, 05:03 PM
most say wheat at 10 months or 1 year, particularly if you are of irish/scottish descent (higher risk of celiac sprue)

we just started breakfast (have been doing dinner since a little over 6 months) and are planning on holding off adding lunch until around 10 months. i'd rather nurse more as BM should be the primary source of nutrition until 1 year.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03