PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to soothe an over tired newborn?

1ontheway
02-06-2004, 07:27 PM
I posted this in the Baby 411 section, but i don't think there is as much traffic over there.

DD is definitely a touchy baby and always wants to be held. We have resorted to cosleeping just to get some rest at night. Now that DD is beginning to stay awake some after feedings we have run into another problem. She has trouble going to sleep. She'll do fine for 30 minutes or so, but then she has a meltdown crying for another 30 minutes or longer. DD is BF. She won't take a pacifier. She gets upset if we try to hold it in her mouth. Rocking, walking, baby swing, nothing seems to help. Once she wears herself out crying, she will finally nurse for a few minutes and finally fall asleep. Any advice?

Christina
and Leah Grace 1/19/04

jec2
02-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Have you tried swaddling? That might do the trick.

amp
02-06-2004, 09:24 PM
I would recommend you go to the store or the library and find Dr. Harvey Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block." If you aren't familiar with it, it uses some of the techniques you are already using, but it makes a lot of sense and it's been a lifesaver for a lot of parents here. If none of that works, hang in there. This too shall pass.

Momof3Labs
02-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Ditto - Dr. Karp's book is amazing!! I wish that I had read it before Colin was born!

aguinn
02-06-2004, 10:35 PM
christina,

we had this problem for naps when DS was born (he was better at night). is Leah getting enough sleep during the day? that was always a factor for us - if DS slept well during the day (most of the time in someone's arms!) then he would sleep better at night. that is still the case.

i agree both with the swaddling and with the dr. karp book suggestions. i didn't read the book until DS was over 4 months old, so it was mostly too late to follow, but for #2 i'll try the methods described (dr. karp is also a major proponent of swaddling).

i know it doesn't seem like it, but this time will pass quickly and you will get sleep again!

hth,
;)amy
proud momma to aidan ~ 7/29/03

ohiomom
02-06-2004, 11:42 PM
Here's another vote for Dr. Karp's book or better yet the DVD or video. After we started following his steps, DD was far less fussy -- she had clearly been overtired early on and we, as 1st time parents, just had no clue. I gave the DVD to my brother and sil who had their baby early this morning with the suggestion to watch it early on!

Nicole's Mom 7/03

1ontheway
02-07-2004, 08:51 PM
DD doesn't like to be swaddled while she's awake. She starts screaming right away. She likes having her hands up near her face like when she was in the womb based on the ultrasounds. We have to wait until she is asleep before swaddling her because her jerky movements do wake her up.
I'll have to get the book from the library and see if we can find something that works. Thanks everyone.

Christina
and Leah Grace 1/19/04

lizajane
02-07-2004, 10:49 PM
how about a sling? she gets to be held and you get free hands.

new_mommy25
02-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Liza, I was just going to suggest that.

Get yourself a comfy pouch and wear your DD during the day. She will feel calm and comfortable snuggled next to you and she will nap better during the day. The sling is a lifesaver for me, even now sometimes it is the only thing that will calm down an overtired DS. It is also great for you to run errands. My DS was never content sitting in his carseat while awake, so wearing him was a perfect hands-free option!

chlobo
02-08-2004, 08:49 AM
There is another swaddling method called the aussie swaddlw that swaddles the baby so their hands are near thei face in case they want to suck on their fingers. I'll try to fnd the instructions.