PDA

View Full Version : Safety of canned foods...

jd11365
02-08-2004, 01:47 PM
So Kayla is on to finger foods and I figure she can start eating some of the things we do as I cook them for ourselves. Only thing is, I feel strange giving her foods from a can. Isn't that strange? It doesn't bother me...but I keep thinking it's not healthy for her...food sitting in metal and all. Is this rediculous? I know I can do fresh and frozen, but we as adults definitely open a can of corn or spinach every now and again...KWIM? Will it harm her at all?

TIA!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

COElizabeth
02-08-2004, 02:15 PM
I think the latest research shows that canned and frozen vegetables retain as much nutrients as fresh (sometimes more, since they are "preserved" right after picking). My only real concern would be the salt if she is eating lots of canned food, but you can buy reduced salt versions of most of them.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

egoldber
02-08-2004, 02:24 PM
I have always fed DD canned veggies. I definitely do the no salt added versions, though, when I can. And like Elizabeth mentioned, generally canned and frozen veggies retain as much or even more nutrients as "fresh" because they are usually processed VERY quickly after picking. As opposed to "fresh" veggies, which go into trucks and then a super market warehouse, and then sit on the supermarket shelves.

HTH,

jd11365
02-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Thank you for the great info! What about the metal factor? Is there anything to be concerned about the food sitting in the metal? I don't wrap frozen foods in aluminum foil for some reason either...I must have heard something about metal and foods when I was young and have a strange aversion to it.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

egoldber
02-08-2004, 03:06 PM
If you have ever noticed, the insides of cans are actually coated with a substance to keep the food "separate" from the metal. Personally, I don't worry about it. As far as aluminum foil goes, it WILL react with very acidic foods (like tomato based things or things with tomato sauces on it). For freezing, I always use wax paper and freezer bags.

The BEST veggies to eat are those picked fresh and served immediately. But in general, that's just not gonna happen for me, so I gotta make do...

deborah_r
02-08-2004, 04:53 PM
I personally always go for frozen before canned. But if using canned, I read somewhere to not discard the water from the can because many of the nutrients leach into the water.

Here's some excerpts from Super Baby Food:

"In general, canned foods are nutritionally inferior to fresh or frozen foods, an canned foods are frequently high in sodium....there should no longer be a problem with lead in canned foods manufatuered in the US."

"Don't buy cans or jars that are sticky or those with stains. Make sure there are no bulges, dents, broken seams, rust or small holes in the can."

Paraphrasing: make sure it looks "normal" - if it's supposed to clear, but is cloudy, throw away. Don't store opened contents in can.

And this tip I like: "Wash cans and jars before opening" - "You never know what's on the outside of cans/jars of food from the supermarket - dust, dirt, germs and who knows what else. Some supermarkets even spray insecticides directly on the shelves..." goes on to say you don't want to contaminate the contents with the can opener or when pouring out of the can.

jd11365
02-08-2004, 05:43 PM
I read that too...which is another reason why I posted... Buy she's also a bit over the top with things too sometimes...2 words...dessicated liver... ;)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

COElizabeth
02-08-2004, 06:51 PM
I think her book has some good information, but some of what she says has since been contradicted by newer findings. Many people now recommend a later age for feeding nuts than she does, for example, and I think the canned food being not as nutritious idea is another outdated one. Granted, heavy salt is still a concern.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

cchavez
02-08-2004, 08:23 PM
I was just reading in super baby foods that she recommends you wash canned beans to get rid of the excess sodium but then you wouldn't be using the liquid from the can then b/c of the extra sodium and therefore removing some of the nutrients???

BTW, I am glad you posted this b/c we eat canned veggies quite a bit.

lizamann
02-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Seriously LOL! Do you know anyone who actually feeds dessicated liver powder or brewer's yeast to their babies???