PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with tuna?

jd11365
02-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Just full of questions today aren't I? Sorry. In my quest to increase Kayla's iron levels, I came upon tuna on several lists. While I'm not ready to go with meat/fish yet, we will be there soon and I wonder about it's safety. My OB told me to lay off (not completely but limit) it when I was pregnant because of mercury levels...so I'm skeptical about giving it to Kayla when she is ready... Whaddya think?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

egoldber
02-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Everything in moderation. Don't give it to her for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but a little tuna now and then is good for her, just like it is for you. :)

HTH,

COElizabeth
02-09-2004, 12:13 AM
I agree with Beth that moderation is the key. Also, it has recently been reported that albacore tuna has considerably more mercury than the standard "chunk light" tuna. So the healthier choice is also the cheaper one, for a change! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

etwahl
02-09-2004, 09:21 AM
i find myself eating tuna quite a bit...probably too much. what IS too much for myself anyway? what are the negatives of too much mercury?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

JElaineB
02-09-2004, 09:55 AM
There was a thread about this a few weeks ago on the Toddler boards:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=267&mesg_id=267&page=

I've decided not to give DS any tuna for now. I hate chunk light and albacore seems to have gone up in mercury levels over the past decade. I rarely eat it myself now. I figure why risk exposure to a toxic heavy metal, especially for a small child whose brain is rapidly developing, when there are plenty of other safe and healthy food choices out there.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02