PDA

View Full Version : Okay, tell me about Babystyle maternity sizing one more time

nohomama
02-09-2004, 09:16 PM
There are a number of good basic maternity clothes on sale at Babystyle right now. I'd like to buy some and know from previous threads that Babystyle's maternity line tends to run small. I'm just having a hard time selecting XL when I'm usually a M. I need those of you familiar with this line to tell me again that this in the thing to do. For what it's worth, I'm a size 10-12 and I'm not expecting to wear these clothes through to the end of my pregnancy. I'm due in August and most of the things I'm interested in will be appropriate through late spring early summer only. Heck, by the end I'm expecting that I won't want to wear clothes at all.

TIA,

nohomama
02-09-2004, 09:16 PM
There are a number of good basic maternity clothes on sale at Babystyle right now. I'd like to buy some and know from previous threads that Babystyle's maternity line tends to run small. I'm just having a hard time selecting XL when I'm usually a M. I need those of you familiar with this line to tell me again that this in the thing to do. For what it's worth, I'm a size 10-12 and I'm not expecting to wear these clothes through to the end of my pregnancy. I'm due in August and most of the things I'm interested in will be appropriate through late spring early summer only. Heck, by the end I'm expecting that I won't want to wear clothes at all.

TIA,

jec2
02-09-2004, 09:38 PM
I usually wear a small or medium in regular clothes (and, of course, brand dependent, can sometimes get away w/xs). But, buy bigger w/ Babystyle brand because it does run small, at least the bottoms seemed to on me when I was pregnant. I bought a few things and always doubted that I should move up to a medium and was always bummed to find out that the small was too small and had to be exchanged. And, exchanging with them is a hassle I think. However, I found that the tank tops I bought in Medium from them were slightly too roomy (the shoulders kept falling off).

HTH

nohomama
02-09-2004, 11:34 PM
So, do you think I should just go up one size to a L? Not two sizes to an XL??

jec2
02-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Eeeks, this is why buying clothes on-line just sucks! Well, I would say since you are normally a 10-12 you fall within two size categories--medium and large. I think an L would definately give you a little more longevity. However, if you don't tend to gain a lot or are more tall and thin than shorter and fuller that might make a difference too. But, gosh, I don't know about an XL. That just seems like such a huge jump. So, I might think the L would be fine but I'd hate to steer you in the wrong direction and you have to return it all :(

nohomama
02-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Bump.

Can anyone else comment? Pleeeaaase. I'd really love to place an order soon. My regular clothes are still fitting but they're a getting a little snug.

nitaghei
02-10-2004, 10:36 AM
My experience was the opposite - tops ran really small, and the bottoms ran really large. I generally wear a medium petite, and I did not gain a lot of weight. I couldn't button the medium jacket I got from babystyle, even when I was still fitting into most of my regular clothes. The medium skirt, OTOH, finally fit when I was in my ninth month - pretty much falling off until then. And I have a narrow back and big hips.

HTH - probably doesn'! :)

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

nohomama
02-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Nita,

Most of the things I'm looking at are tops. Considering your experience, would you recommend buy one size up or two?

Their sizing is a bit tough for me to guage. I'm a 10-12. They say their M is for 8-12, L is for 12-14, and XL is for 16-18. Because I'm on the cusp of a M and L, my normal inclination would be to order a L. But since their maternity line seems to run small, I'm wondering if it would be better to buy the XL. When I look at their sizing guidelines though, I balk. From what they say, if I were to buy an XL I'd be buying 3-4 sizes up from what I normally wear.

Why does this have to be so difficult???

nitaghei
02-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Sarah,

If I had to do it again, I would get an XL - even though I'm normally an 8-10. However crazy it seems to be buying that many sizes up!! How did your body change with your last pregnancy? My chest did get quite a bit bigger when I was pregnant - several inches - so buying a couple of sizes up makes sense, I think. What was weird was that I was fine in a small or medium in sweaters from the Gap.

Totally - I wish it wasn't this hard. Though what drove me really nuts was maternity suits - there aren't ANY maternity suits in petites!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

sadie427
02-10-2004, 03:10 PM
I wore some babystyle stuff-the t-shirts, cotton drawstring pants, and a nice dress, top and and skirt. I got my true size (xs or small pre-pregnancy, got xs maternity clothes.) The t-shirts got a little short by the very end, the pants and skirt still fit, the dress and top probably would have been too small by the last month but I was no longer interested in dressing up by that time so I don' think I put them on. HTH. Especially if you only need them thru early summer, I'd just go up one size.

JenaW
02-10-2004, 09:18 PM
sarah

I usually wear an 10-12 too prepreg. I wore a med in GAP for example (their tops seem to run huge). I just found out I am preggo with number 2 too, and have been searching ebay and the babystyle site. I just won some Large babystyle shirts (the 3/4 length sleeve V neck) on ebay. They don't fit NOW and I am like 6 weeks pregnant, so I would definitely go with the XL. (My chest is a 38DD+, but they barely fit in my stomach too, which is pretty flat). I hope I am not steering you wrong, but I think that would be your best bet. I haven't had too much trouble returning with them, but most things they will only give you store credit, not money back.

HTH

Jera