PDA

View Full Version : Help! How much Gentian Violet for thrush??

lynettefrancois
02-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Ok, I am ready (edited: DESPERATE) to try gentian violet, but can't find how much to use! I read on one website they shouldn't have enough to be drooling purple, another one to squeeze out the q-tip before applying inside her mouth- but how can that be enough? I think I read on Newman's comments, I shouldn't use over 5ml in the 4 days- is that just one q-tip full per day? I don't want to use too much but I am SICK of the nystatin that doesn't work, and Blue Cross won't pay for more than one day of diflucan (been there, done that...). Please help! THANKS!!

heidi_timms
02-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Have you tried Acidophillus/bifidus pills? I got some at Whole foods markets and they were banana flavored. I took them myself (chewables) and crushed up some for DD. I would wet my finger and dip it in the crushed up powder. Before this we had done Nystatin for three weeks with nothing and the acidophillus/bifidus cleared everything in week to a week and a half. I also tried to eat a lot of yogurt.

I was this close to using the gentian violet, but it really stains bad. My dr. didn't recommend it, especially because my DD used to spit up a lot and it would be everywhere!!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

lynettefrancois
02-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Heidi,
I've been on a pro-biotic (acidophilis plus a ton of other things), yogurt, Grapefruit seed extract, echinacea, nystatin cream, and lotrimin af cream for almost two weeks... I also had one diflucan about a week ago. Sterilizing everything, going braless, vinegar washes after each feeding and in rinse cycle, etc. It was getting better until about 3 days ago, so we went back to the pediatrician who prescribed 14 days of diflucan at my request. HOWEVER, stupid Blue Cross of Tennessee refuses to pay for the prescription, even though it is the standard treatment for thrush!!! So I am stuck trying Gentian Violet, but did not get instructions from the ped since the nurse never called me back today. ARRGGH! All I needed was to know how to use it! Can anyone help?? TIA and sorry for venting....

neeter
02-12-2004, 01:46 AM
My pediatrician recommended gentian violet too, and she said to apply it with a q-tip to your nipples and areola, and then immediately let the baby breastfeed. This should be done for three days. She said it would take a couple of days for it to work. Sofar I haven't been able to find the genetian violet, so I'm going to ask for diflucan. Good luck!

tarahsolazy
02-12-2004, 02:03 AM
You should squeeze out the q-tip before painting your baby's mouth (tongue and inside cheeks), and paint your nipples, too. Your baby might look a little "goth" for a day or two. I have seen this treatment really work, although it is a little messy. 5ml is a teaspoon, so that's a lot, when you are applying it with a q-tip. I can't imagine using even 1 or 2 ml. You should apply it once to each of you, and you can repeat in 3-5 days if needed. I would also continue the pro-biotic, as that will also be helpful. If this works, then you wouldn't need the Diflucan, which is awfully expensive if your insurance won't cover it. I have argued with Blue Cross myself at times, and its frustrating. You might see if someone from your doctor's office could also take it up with the insurance company, sometimes exception forms exist,and such. Anyway, good luck, what a frustrating problem!