PDA

View Full Version : What if our table food is inappropriate to give?

McQ
02-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I want to start giving Declan some more food from our plates, but DH and I eat a lot of spicy food or cream based dishes. I just can't imagine giving him this stuff. Do you prepare a little bit on the side minus the spices/cream to give them? What type of table food is best to start with? TIA!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

amp
02-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Nope, we've been giving him a lot of what we eat, spices and all. Although if it's very salty or if we put a bunch of red pepper flakes, we pull a bit out ahead so he doesn't get that. But he gets garlic, pepper, basil, oregano, etc. And he's eaten a bit of ground beef stroganoff w/ cream of mushroom soup and sour cream cooked in it.

egoldber
02-12-2004, 11:17 AM
The only thing I would worry about is food that is REALLY hot and spicy (like 5 alarm chili). Sarah eats food that is flavorful spicy all the time. I don't see why cream sauces would be a problem unless he has a milk intolerance. And meat that is tough until he has all his molars.

HTH,

McQ
02-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks. I guess I'll go ahead and try the spicey on him. He got a lot of that while I was pregnant anyway :) My big hang up on the cream sauce is that it's so fattening and bad for you. I certainly don't want to give him our bad habits so early.

Allison

C99
02-18-2004, 10:56 AM
fattening is GOOD for babies!

Momof3Labs
02-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Yes, fat is good for babies!!

McQ
02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
But fat from heavy cream??? What about cholesterol or heart disease? Or getting him hooked on the good stuff :) Or is it such a small quantity that I shouldn't worry? TIA.

Allison

Momof3Labs
02-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Fat is important to the development of brain cells up to age 2, so you need to make sure that he gets enough fat in his diet. I can't imagine that he will be drinking this sauce straight; it will probably be too small an amount to worry about. And if that is what you eat, isn't that what you'll be feeding him down the road?

egoldber
02-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Well he'll be drinking whole milk soon and eating whole milk yogurt. There is absolutely no need to worry about the fat content of his food until he is at least 2-3. And even then there is a lot of controversy about what food is good or bad for you.

And if its what you eat, you want him used to that from an early age.

HTH,

McQ
02-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks ladies!

Allison