PDA

View Full Version : Finger Foods What were your child's firsts?

Jen in Chicago
02-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Jude seems to want to feed himself, and baby food is not good for this. He likes Cheerios, diced cooked carrots, peas (I squeeze them b/4 giving them to him to break the skin), zieback toast, crackers and his biscuits. What else should I give him? I was thinking of cut of green beans. He eats about 1/2 of what I given him and plays with the rest. He really enjoys his time in the highchair.

Marisa6826
02-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Sophie likes:

Canteloupe
Broccoli florets in butter (well done and torn into little bits)
Cut up grapes
Special K cereal
Shredded apples
Hard scrambled eggs (only YOLKS if under 1 year)
French toast
Elbow macaroni
Shredded mozzerella (from a bag)

Essentially, I give her anything I eat, as long as it's cut up into small pieces. I try to aim for a size that's between a pencil eraser and my thumbnail.

I think the trick to getting them to eat stuff is having them watch you. Sophie has even had Chinese food and some fried chicken!!

have fun!

-m

amp
02-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Jake eats bits of whatever we are eating most of the time, in addition to his cereal and pureed fruits. He loves grapes (sliced and then cut in to quarters), bits of soft tortilla, shredded or torn up bits of cheese, small bits of shredded chicken & beef, cheerios, small bits of pasta (any kind), corn, torn up bread pieces, etc.

ETA: I read Mariana's post and have to add bits of the broccoli floret and also pancakes and bits of toast.

Jen in Chicago
02-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Thank you! When we eat together, which is rare due to his 6:30/6:45 bedtime (he'll fall asleep in the highchair!), I will give him tastes. I will start giving him more.

MariFP
02-12-2004, 05:59 PM
My baby loves goldfish (I got the baby size) and pizza, brocolli with melted cheese on top, pieces of pancake or anything else we are having and I just put into pieces on her tray.
Good luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Logan started with cheerios and now also gets cubes of tofu. I gave her cut up green beans tonight and she loved them. I'm going to try cubes of sweet potato next. She loves to feed herself.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

amp
02-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey Marisa, I am curious...in your post you mentioned feeding Sophie shredded apples. Are they just fresh and shredded or cooked, or what? I am interested in this since we've never heard of it, but it seems like a good finger food. Can you please enlighten me? Thanks!

Marisa6826
02-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Just take a regular "raw" peeled apple and shred it on your grater or in your food processor. It will turn a little brown from oxidation, but it still tastes the same.

If you want to do a whole apple and save some for later, store it in a container with some water and a dash of lemon juice.

If you prefer serving a cooked apple, I would just throw one in the microwave for a few minutes.

-m

amp
02-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Cool, thanks! I'm going to try that this weekend! I don't mind serving it raw, but wasn't sure how it would work. I'm excited to try it! Thanks for the tip!