PDA

View Full Version : IV antibiotics during delivery and thrush. Anyone?

smallestangel
02-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi

I tested positive for Group B Strep and so now I'll be on IV antibiotics during delivery. My concern is this: I ALWAYS get a yeast infection when I'm on antibiotics. I've never been on *IV* antibiotics but I'm assuming the case will be the same, if not worse.

I am also planning on bf'ing Jacob and I'm worried about thrush. Everything I've read tells me that it's a real devil to get rid of once it occurs.

Can the antibiotics cause any kind of issue with bf'ing? Or am I wrong in my thinking that it might make thrush more likely?

Thanks for any input!

Amanda
3/9/04
Jacob David :)

MartiesMom2B
02-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Amanda:

I was given antibiotic for GBS too and I didn't get one. Maybe it's because you are given one big dose through the IV just through the delivery and aren't taking it for 10 days. I'd ask your OB for more info. though. We didn't have any problems with thrush either. So many people on the boards have dealt with thrush, so if it happens you'll get tons of advice.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

cchavez
02-15-2004, 10:01 PM
I was on IV and oral antibiotic b/c I had a c/s..... I got a horrible case of thrush. Talk to your ob and a lac. consultant......maybe you can change your diet....less carbs, talk acidhopolus, etc so that you will be less susceptible to thrush. I ultimately stopped bfing after 2 months....thrush was one of the many reasons. Best of luck to you!

Momof3Labs
02-15-2004, 10:13 PM
I was on the antibiotic drip during labor and did not get thrush. I agree that you can help stave it off by taking acidophilous (the fresh stuff from a health food store), eating plain yogurt, and such.

But ultimately, your OB and LC will be the best ones to answer this question.

C99
02-15-2004, 10:39 PM
I was on IV antibiotics during and for 48 hours after the delivery and did not get a yeast infection or thrush. But we did get thrush after a couple of rounds of oral antibiotics for mastitis when Nathaniel was 2-months-old.

smallestangel
02-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys.

I've got an appointment with my OB on Thursday and I plan on asking him about it. I wanted to get some info beforehand and I also wanted to make sure my thinking about the IV antibiotics=increased risk for thrush wasn't too off the wall. I'm always finding something new to worry about. But I just so want our breastfeeding to go well, it's really important to me.

Thanks Again

Amanda

jubilee
02-16-2004, 12:33 AM
I had IV antibiotics and did get a ductal yeast infection in my breasts. It was horrible, and I am glad to know others were able to avoid it. I almost quit nursing because of it! By the way, my son didn't get any effects of it and avoided a yeast infection.

lynettefrancois
02-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Watch out for yeast elsewhere- that's what happened to me. I could barely walk without the nystatin "down there" and finally asked if I could take a 7 day monistat, which cleared it up. It was hard to tell since they kept telling me I "should" be uncomfortable, so it took longer than it should have for me to figure it out. And they don't want to test you since it would be torture, so just keep that in mind. Now I've got thrush from taking an antibiotic for a sinus infection (sigh) which I've tried everything except the long term diflucan to get rid of... If you are likely to get yeast infections (like me) I would emphasize that to the LC/OB/anyone who'll listen and see what they suggest to prevent getting an infection. The doctor treating my sinus infection didn't think I'd need a preventative diflucan, and 3 weeks later, we've still got thrush. At the very least, I'd use probiotics and cut sugar. BTW, if you get sick and need antibiotics after the birth, try eating raw garlic (like 5 cloves a day) first and see if that works- it's a natural antibiotic but won't give you a yeast infection. I read it somewhere on the kellymom website. HTH!

Melanie
02-16-2004, 01:03 AM
I would highly recommend having them re-test you before delivery. Is it one of those quick-tests where they get instant results? Just because you have it now, does not mean you will at the time you delivery. If they don't have instant-tests, maybe have them test you again near your due-date.

I don't think I had it during delivery, but I did three months later with another operation and I got it right away. Luckily Ds didn't so it went away quickly once I got the nystatin and started the vinegar rinses/probiotics/etc.

It sounds like it all depends on the person, but it definitely can cause thrush/yeast. It is killing all the beneficial bacteria in your body as well as the Strep. If you have to go on it, take probiotics (refridgerated) and try to make sure they get you some yogurt right away.