PDA

View Full Version : What kind of milk does your toddler drink?

etwahl
02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
And I'm curious if you are on something other than whole milk, why?

I think we'll probably start with Soy, but then again, who knows. I really would like to know benefits of using Soy over Whole Milk. Is there enough fat? etc.

Thanks everyone!

emmiem
02-18-2004, 11:25 AM
We use 2 percent since she is older than 2. She will even drink skim because her big sister is drinking milk with the green cap!
Michele

Momof3Labs
02-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Lactaid whole milk because Colin could not tolerate the lactose in regular whole milk.

Soy milk does not have enough fat to replace whole milk, so I'd suggest trying whole milk first to see if Lauren tolerates it. If not, you could use soy milk, but talk to your ped first - she might want you to use a soy follow-up formula instead to get enough fat into Lauren. It's really important not to cut back on their fat intake until 2 years old!!

ETA a link:

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/baby/babyfeeding/1200425.html

Apparently they make a "whole" version of soy milk - so if you can find that (I couldn't when we were trying to find an alternative to whole milk), then you should be okay using soy milk.

mom2kandj
02-18-2004, 12:48 PM
We give lowfat organic soymilk in vanilla. We cannot find whole fat soymilk in our area, but our ped is okay with it as long as we make sure that their diets are supplemented with other fats like olive oil, etc. I probably should have used the plain flavored soymilk, but vanilla tasted better to me. FWIW, both kids have mild dairy allergies and though they can tolerate small amounts of cheese, we avoid regular cow's milk and regular yogurt. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

daisymommy
02-18-2004, 01:31 PM
We use Lactaid as well, because Josh showed all the signs of being Lactose intolerant:
-colicy fussy
-excess gas
-red bottom
-spiting up
-diahreah (can't spell it!)
-sometimes constipation

Once we switched to Lactaid and cut out other milk products he did great. If I so much as give him a serving of mac & cheese at dinner, he cries and fusses off and on all night :(

wendmatt
02-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Emily will only drink bm!! I keep trying soy and whole milk but she turns her nose up and turns away when she sees anything white in her cup now!! Soy milk has less fat (even the fat kind) so make sure if you give it, to make up the fat in other ways.

Melanie
02-19-2004, 05:45 PM
I feel so guilty...Ds doesn't get anything besides breastmilk. I hate hate hate cow's milk so when we tried it and he gagged I didn't even try it again. The thought of him drinking cow's milk makes my stomach turn. Sometimes he gets rice or soy, but it's not really for nutritional value. *sigh* Maybe I'll make drinking milk and Daddy activity so I don't have to watch. I do try to make sure he gets fat in other ways like YoBaby yogurt.

starrynight
02-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Daria gets rice milk, she can't tolerate regular cow's milk and I'm not comfortable with her drinking soy milk after reading that soy infant formula suppresses the immune system,(this was in a parenting mag not some weirdo publication btw) so I'm assuming soy milk might in some ways also.

toomanystrollers
02-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Both Tess & Shea started on whole milk 'til about age 2. Now they both drink skim milk.

egoldber
02-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Well, since Sarah's over two, she drinks either 1% or 2% regular milk. The Costco I go to only carries 2%, not 1%. But if I'm at the regular grocery store, I buy 1%, since that's what I prefer. My ped said she could drink 1% or 2%, but not skim at this point. At age 1, he said she could drink 2% or whole milk.

HTH,

Torey
02-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Well DD weaned herself in one day at 13 months exactly (it was a nursing strike that never broke and a very long story). Anyway, I have not been able to convince her that milk in any form will taste good. So she has been getting her calcium/dairy from plain organic whole milk yogurt and cottage cheese. Fortunately, she seems to love both of these and eats a lot of them everyday. I have heard that soy isn't the best for little girls because of the estrogen found in soy (which can be great for menopausal women). If Lauren is still a happy BF baby, I would just stick with that unless you are eager to wean. I wish we had been able to continue BF till age 2 but DD had other ideas.