PDA

View Full Version : Can you take acidophilus while you're pregnant?

newdad04
02-25-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi

My wife wants to start taking acidophilus as a preventive measure but I'm leery of her taking anything out of the norm. But she's already had two yeast infections this pregnancy and has always been prone to them.

Her dr. is very much an "M.D" and is no help with things outside of stardard medical treatment.

If it helps to answer, we picked up a refrigerated bottle of Nature's Way Primacidophilus(sp?) from the health food store. I don't have the bottle with me right now but I believe it says to start with one pill a day for two weeks then up it to two.

Thanks for your help.

newdad04

Rachels
02-25-2004, 09:37 AM
It's fine to take it. It's just the healthy bacteria that normally appears in your intestinal tract-- the same stuff that's in yogurt, but more of it. It should help knock out those yeast infections, which is really important. Yeast can transfer to the baby during birth and that exposure can increase the chances for thrush when they nurse. It's definitely worth treating now.

Congratulations to you!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Tondi G
03-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Ditto to what Rachel said and your wife might also want to look into some Bifidus as well.... another natural probiotic that is naturally occuring in our bodies!!!!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

caheinz
03-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm due in two weeks (!) and have been taking it the whole time. I haven't had any complications at all.

I'm taking a Trader Joe's mix now -- it's a mix of 3 or 4 friendly flora, and doesn't require refrigeration (a bonus for me!).

If you're really concerned about it, what about her eating more yogurt? It'll have much the same effect, as long as it has live cultures. (A few years ago, Stonyfield Farms was one of the better ones in terms of the live cultures, but I don't know if that's still true -- it is yummy yogurt, though!)

Cheryl
#1 EDD: 3/24/04!

calebsmama03
03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Definitely tell her to take it. On top of what Rachel said, I had perterm labor and was told that vaginal infections (yeast of bacterial) if left untreated while pregnant can cause irritation that leads to preterm labor. Not sure how true it is since I haven't been able to verify it outside of my OBs office, but Acidophilus and other live cultures are totally safe, so it's worth it to take them just in case, IMO.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03