PDA

View Full Version : good athletic nursing bra suggestion needed!

polkadot14
02-26-2004, 05:11 PM
does anyone have any suggestions for supportive athletic nursing bras? this was never a problem before i was pregnant/breastfeeding, but now i'm a c cup. while i'm not currently doing more than jogging through the house after my toddler, i'd like to start working out asap. i've seen 2 nursing bras in the title 9 sports catalog, but both of them are only moderately supportive (according to title 9). anyone have any experience with these or others?

tia!

kelly

(i will post this is in the stroller folder as well, because i know i read some posts about **jogging** - how i can't wait to get back to running!!)

Tequillacowgirl
02-26-2004, 08:36 PM
I really like my bravado bra!

lerlerler
02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Dumb question from a preggie...

Why do you need a nursing bra while running? Couldn't you wear a good supportive (non-underwire) bra while running and switch back to your comfy nursing bra after your run (and a shower if your babe let's you get that far)

maybe I'm missing something....

PS I own the No-bounce bra from Title9.. it's MASSIVE but it works...

normally, however, I wear a regular minimizer with a sports bra over it because I am very WELL developed

polkadot14
02-27-2004, 11:08 AM
you know, that's a good question...i guess i just thought it'd be easier to have BOTH features, but i don't know if it's really necessary!

polkadot14
02-27-2004, 11:10 AM
i'll keep that in mind; i've read a lot of positive things about bravados. where is the best place to get them?

houseof3boys
02-27-2004, 01:55 PM
I could never run in a bravado! I have 2 and while I like them, they are not nearly supportive enough to go running in. I bought a cheap bra from target that I have been use for fast walking (not a runner) but if I were a serious runner I would get something from Title 9!!!

COElizabeth
02-27-2004, 10:58 PM
I agree, Debbi! I love my Bravados and wear them all the time because they are the only nursing bras that don't make me itch. However, for me they are NOT supportive enough for running or even light jogging.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

nyc mom
02-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Title 9 has a couple that look good. Check out their website.

molly
02-29-2004, 02:29 PM
i just run in a champion sports bra and then change back when i'm back in the house - earlier on when ds was nursing more frequently, it maybe was a little more of a pain to be changing bras, but now that he's older i'm not running up the driveway unhooking my bra like i used to! for me i just need more support than any of the athletic nursing bras could give. hope this helps

papal
03-01-2004, 01:53 PM
I had the Title 9 Best Ever Nursing Bra. I hated it. It was itchy and had no support. I would not recommend it. Also, it had hook-eye closures and when the flap was down the hook would either poke me or the baby. I returned it. Their shipping was pretty inflated ($6.50 i think, so i was a bit bummed that returns were not free).

polkadot14
03-01-2004, 09:30 PM
thanks for all the suggestions - i think i might need to track down a bravado bra for everyday wear, and realistically, i can probably wait to get an athletic bra for a little while, when i'm not nursing as often!

kelly

jennyriver
03-03-2004, 01:09 PM
i read from another poster here that this is a great bra...it almost sounded like advertising to me...and i had just ordered my 1st bravado but since the "buy it now" price was only $14.99 i thought i'd give it a try. just got it yesterday (took just about a week to come - i think from hong kong?) and it's almost IDENTICAL to the bravado i got for twice as much! main differences were: the bravado has a snap closure for nursing access while the YES! bra has a plastic clip - i think either one can be done with one hand (i tested them both out, but not nursing yet). also, the bravado plain colors are just that...plain, no pattern (i got blush, which is kind of pinkish) and the YES! bras have a kind of bamboo pattern. it doesn't seem to show through my clothes (i got a beige). they're both sports style (no fasteners - just pull over your head) which wouldn't be my 1st choice but they are comfy. the 1st day or so the bravado did not bend under my chest but by the 3rd day it did - the YES! bra claims it won't do this but this is just day one of wearing it and since it's SO similar to the bravado, i don't see how it would perform any different...still, it hasn't folded up yet. the YES! bras are sized a bit differntly but i think i got basically the same size in both - a L+ in bravado and a 4+ in YES! and the YES! seems to be a bit roomier, which was actually a good thing. i can see growing into it and using the bravado once my chest (ribcage) size goes back to normal. if you really want to use either of these for sports (i wore my bravado on the elliptical the other day and was fine - i'm a DD-E) i'd say they're OK but i don't run. also, i hear that the ++ sizes are even more supportive...this then takes away the ability to just pull down the cups to nurse but you still get the clip release option.

my review is...if you want to try a bra like the bravado or even LOVE the bravado, give the YES! bra a shot...for 1/2 the price it's a good deal and the differences seem minor and unimportant. buy 2 for the same price you could get a bravado at! unless you LOVE the leopard or other prints (YES! bras seem to only come in white, black and beige) then this might be just as good for nursers! (oh and if you don't wanna go via ebay they have a website: www.yesbreastfeeding.com) hope this helps!

squimp
03-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I just ordered the Get up and Go nursing bra from Title 9 - I'll let you know how they work. Motherhood maternity has a decent athletic bra for aerobics - it's got a high cotton content and is really comfortable. I wear it around the house. But it's not supportive enough for running.

I've been running for a month now (it's so fun to get out, and I can finally squeeze back into my pre-preg jeans!). I wear the Champion underwire sport top (3 barbells in title 9) and the "Sport Top For Larger Breasted Women Only" (4 barbells in title 9). Then I put a tank top with a shelf bra on over that. It helps with my new D's (I was a C before) Wish I could keep 'em!

The reason I ordered some nursing running bras is because I like to dress for a run in the morning, and take my opportunity when it comes. Sometimes I have been halfway down the street, to discover that I forgot to put on my running bra, which is really annoying.

By the way, I can't imagine that the Bravado is supportive enough for any high impact activities.

Jana, mom to Sophia 10/14/03

mummyluvsu
03-04-2004, 10:54 AM
I love this bra too! Got it 3-4 weeks ago now and hate to throw it in the wash. The band really doesn't roll which is sooooo nice. I agree though, it would be nice if it came in funky prints like leopard. But, the bamboo design is feminine and I like it better than plain for sure.

mummyluvsu
03-04-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm new to this chat thing but can I also say that I agree that these bras are really "sports-style" bras I think and not really REAL sports bras. They just use the same style as jogging bras for more support, right? That isn't being critical, is it? I just signed up so don't want to flame anyone. I love the bra, especially for sleeping. No way for running (as if I do that anyway!)

jennyriver
03-04-2004, 01:46 PM
well, again, i can't comment on the bravado/YES! bras for running cause i don't do it but the + sizes i have are pretty darn supportive and i think the ++ ones are even more so. i think you'd just have to try it out to see, to be honest. i was just thinking, tho, that if all you want is a "sports" bra for is running, since you're not actually breastfeeding while working out, then why even get a breastfeeding bra for sports? i like the extra support of the "sports style" bras like bravado and YES! but mainly because my breasts feel so heavy now. bottom line; if you're the type of person that doesn't mind having different bras for working out and breastfeeding then most likely you'll find your bras from 2 different makers. but if you're looking for a bra that does double duty (or something close to it) then maybe the bravado/YES! bras in ++ would be worth a try.

polkadot14
03-04-2004, 04:22 PM
jana,

please do let me know what you think of your 'get up and go' bra from title 9. you're an inspiration - back into your pre-preg jeans!! my littlest one is about 7 weeks younger than yours, but i'm anxious to be running again!

i was thinking nursing running bras would be more convenient for the same reason you mentioned...anything could happen between the time i get dressed and the time i get out the door, and it would be easier to be able to nurse if i needed to! it does sound like it's hard to come by a bra with both features, though.

kelly

squimp
03-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, I test "ran" the Get up and Go, and it's pretty solid, about the same as my underwire Champion (both are 3 barbells in title 9). It's supportive and comfortable (after I cut out the itchy tags and got used to the four rows of hooks with 4 hooks each). The cups fasten with velcro, which I folded down and out of the way in order to nurse. I still wear the tank with the shelf bra over it, and you won't see me running down hills.

If I have time and presence of mind to change into a more bomb-proof non-nursing running bra before I leave the house, I will. But this one certainly works if I get halfway down the street and realize I forgot.

Have fun getting back into running! It's great if you can get one of your fast running buddies to push the stroller to slow them down! And think of the benefits of pushing that stroller around.

Jana

polkadot14
03-08-2004, 06:56 PM
jana,

thanks for the update - it sounds like the 'get up and go' is definitely worth a try!

kelly

sweetbasil
03-10-2004, 10:41 AM
I have two adidas nursing/sports bras that are really great. They come in at least S, M, L. I'm a 36DD and fell into the range of M by their charts. They're very supportive. Occasionally after a run, the baby wakes up and is ready to eat. I try to shower before feeding him, but sometimes don't get a chance, so I'm glad to have the option of bfing him while in the sports bra.

Other times when I'm doing heavy work around the house (furniture moving, going into the attic, etc.), I'll put the sports bra on for extra support. I love my Bravado bras best, but they're just not cut out for really hard work, IMO. So then I put on an Adidas sports bra, and I'm set. They were about $32 each at our local lactation consulting shop.

HTH,

mominjune
04-17-2004, 03:09 AM
I'm just starting to look into this nursing bra issue. Definitely a newbie! I'm at 8 months so I figured it was a good time to start.

Jennyriver- do you remember the ebay seller ID for the Yes!Bra?

Also, how do you know what size to get? For example, I read the instructions on the yesbreastfeeding site- is it a pretty accurate way to determine the size? Has anyone gone in a store to try them on? What if it's a different brand than the online ones, would trying them on be helpful at all? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance!

new_mommy25
04-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Is there a website where I can purchase that bra?