PDA

View Full Version : *rant* will never buy from Babystyle again (long post)

indigo
04-15-2004, 04:29 PM
I came across Babystyle.com when I first started shopping for maternity clothes. I liked their funky, hip styles and the wide variety of sale items.

What I didn't count on was their glacial delivery speed and their less-than-impressive customer service.

SLOW DELIVERY, POOR SIZING
After placing my order at Babystyle (around the beginning of February), I then placed orders at Gap Maternity and Old Navy. Gap arrived within two days, Old Navy within a week. Babystyle took something like ten days! What a difference from a place like BabyCenter.com, which delivered my new stroller in 3 days from when I ordered it. (Granted, different type of merchandise, but actually a higher price point and much more difficult to ship!)

When the package arrived, I was eager to try on my cool new clothes. Unfortunately, all their pants ran small. I am 5' tall and 118 lbs when not pregnant, so I ordered 2 pairs in Small and one in Medium, per their sizing chart. Not one of the 3 pairs fit.

SLOW CUSTOMER SERVICE
I then called and e-mailed customer service to ask for exact measurements (waistline in inches), before I placed my exchange order, so as to avoid getting the wrong size again. It took 3 days and several calls before anyone would get back to me with the info. I should point out that customer reps at J. Crew can provide this info immediately, without having to check with "designers" and managers.

I sent back the unwanted items per their instructions, on 2/20. When I called on 3/8 (17 days later), they informed me that it would take a couple more days to process the credit! I called four days later and they had mixed up the receiving of my return, so it was lost somewhere in the warehouse. (I should mention that on sale items they will not issue a refund... so I had to wait till they received my items AND notified me of the credit, before I could place a replacement order.) Finally the credit was processed March 19th.

WISHFUL THINKING
I had requested an exchange on one of the items (hoping that one thing would work) and when that did not fit (a LARGE! can't believe a 5-ft tall woman won't fit in a L) I returned it March 25th, to exchange it for some baby clothes. I called again today (April 15) to follow up, and was told they only do exchanges on identical items. Furthermore, they have not yet processed my $34.99 credit! (It should take another week, they told me.) After that, I would be responsible for placing a separate new order for whatever I would like in exchange. Fat chance.

So, now it has been almost three months since I first placed my order; none of the pants I bought worked; and I am still waiting for a final credit! Good thing I am not relying on them to clothe me, otherwise I would have nothing to wear! Can't believe they have such slow service when they are dealing with pregnant women whose measurements change almost daily.

I do not plan to buy from them again as I don't have the patience to deal with them. Unless you have a store in your area where you can try things on and return them in person, I strongly recommend not doing business with Babystyle.

kensjen
04-15-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm very sorry you had such a bad experience! That is not fun to deal with, especially when pregnant!

I just wanted to say that I have always had a great experience with babystyle. I have ordered large items as well as maternity clothes and baby clothes. Everything was here within a week, and I did have a return that was handled quickly. I know you did have a terrible time, (and you still are) but I wanted to mention that is not always the case with babystyle.

I hope they resolve everything for you, how frustrating. Gap and old navy have great maternity clothes, though. :)

stella
04-15-2004, 04:57 PM
That is HORRIBLE customer service!

I have ordered 2 strollers from them - over 2 years ago.

On one of the strollers I had a coupon cade and tried to use that and the rep asked me over the phone (couldn't get the code to work online) where I got the code and when I told him (from a friend) he said that I was not a designated recipient of the code (or some such language that meant it wasn't sent to me) and it wasn't valid since I was not part of the intended market.

I ordered it again with another rep and she didn't ask where I got the code. But I thought the first guy was very rude.

I haven't ordered since, but I agree that it sounds like a real pain -and I can't imagine size L not fitting someone 5' tall. Ridiculous!

indigo
04-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Jen and Claire,

thanks for the feedback! I just hope my experience is not typical. Friends of mine have enjoyed their purchases from Babystyle, and I do think they have fun stuff, but after giving them several chances it just is not working for me. To be fair, their reps have always been polite when I call. But it just seems like a flawed customer service model. Hopefully they will take steps to improve their policies. Once I get my credit I plan to send them the same recap I posted here, and politely inform them why I will not be a repeat customer.

indigo
EDD 7-4-04

tinkerbell1217
04-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Thats strange! I have ordered from them 4 times since starting to wear maternity clothes and I get my orders within 4 days usually, once it was 5 days, and the sizes and fits have been true to my size completely! I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience!!

Kelly

jec2
04-18-2004, 06:09 PM
I kinda agree with you here. I have ordered from them several times and still will in the future. But, I loathe returning/exchanging thinds to them. They take FOREVER to process the credit. Once I wanted to just exchange a small for a medium and by the time they had processed my return & credit all the mediums were sold out. I was totally bummed. Plus, shipping does seem to take awhile and I'm just up the road from them a click or two. It do agree they are a little on the slow side. Now, I just try and make sure that what I am getting is a true "keeper."

jennsuko
04-19-2004, 08:07 PM
I completely agree!!!

I ordered 2 pairs of pants and a top and paid very close attention to their sizing reccomendations. The order took 10 days to get to me. The items fit horribly. So I thought I would just return them. Of course, I didn't realize items bought on sale could only be exchanged or returned for store credit. So I exchanged 2 items for other sizes and one for credit. The new items took over 3 weeks to arrive and I had to call to find out about the store credit as they hadn't sent me any info about it. Once again the items fit horribly and now I have to deal with returning those. I think I am just going to order a diaper bag and some baby clothes. I will never, ever order from them again and tell everyone I know not to either!