PDA

View Full Version : What's the most supportive nursing bra you've found?

Saartje
04-19-2004, 04:24 PM
I've gone from a 38C to (I think) a 40F (possibly G, now) over the course of this pregnancy. When I went to a 38D early on, I wore ordinary sports bras (I had a very supportive style I was used to, the kind I wore when running); when those no longer fit, I found some wonderful nursing bras at Motherhood. Unfortunately, that style has been discontinued. :(

Now I can't seem to find a bra that gives me enough support. I'm wearing Bravados, but my back and chest ache frequently (not to mention my breasts themselves!). I just don't find the Bravado style to be very supportive.

I've also never found underwire bras to be supportive, even in my prepregnancy sizes.

I'm having trouble finding stores that even carry my size at this stage, much less have a good selection to try. And I hate to order bras online, because the fit is such a persnickety thing.

Any other large-breasted women have a thoroughly supportive bra to suggest? At this point, I'd be willing to consider a non-nursing bra, if it will just give me enough support that I won't be in pain. I shudder to think about them growing further once I'm breastfeeding.

(One final note: I'm in Chicago, so if someone has a store to suggest that has good bra fitters and a good selection, I'll go there!)

lag555
04-19-2004, 05:37 PM
I totally sympathize. I have gone from a larger-than-average size to a just-plain-ridiculous size. I did not find any nursing bras to be sufficiently supportive. But I really do like my regular underwire bra. My solution was to convert a regular bra into a nursing bra. Most lingerie stores will be able to do it. Basically, they cut the bra where the strap ends and sew on a hook and eye. (It's actually a sort of clip thing, but it's hard to describe.)

I can check the model number and brand name of the bras I like, but they are all underwire. Let me know if you are interested anyway.

Aggie

new_mommy25
04-20-2004, 03:27 AM
For someone your size you really need to shop somewhere like Nordstroms. They have a few styles of nursing bras in many sizes and they are also wonderful for regular full figured bras.

Marisa6826
04-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Angie-

Most Nordstroms won't go beyond DDD. Believe me, I've tried!

I ended up getting really friendly with the lingerie manager there and she orders me bras from the UK (not nursing, just regular ones).

Have you tried motherwear.com?

http://tinyurl.com/ythvb

http://tinyurl.com/3xxz4

http://tinyurl.com/yrnpd

Good luck!

-m

DeborahM
04-22-2004, 12:04 AM
I was in the same situation, my husband used to tease me and ask if I'd used up all the letters yet. I would definitely check out motherwear.com (and request a catalog as well). They have a good selection of nursing bras AND bras in larger sizes. I preferred the catalog b/c it was easier to see which were better for larger sizes. I just tried looking online, but unfortunately couldn't easily pick out the bra I got from them. I think it was a microfiber and an underwire (I always were underwires).

: )
Deborah
Mom to Thomas and soon-to-be baby girl

new_mommy25
04-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Anyway I wanted to add that my favorite bra is an Anita. I bought in a maternity store but found some on the web.
http://www.brashop.com/anita/

meritsmom
04-28-2004, 09:31 AM
I tried the Bravados and was not happy...I felt they had no support either...I ended up sleeping in mine...what I found one that I love by Playtex....I bought it at Mervyns...I got a 40 DDD..it was very comfortable and supportive...it was underwire...I hated not wearing it anymore when my daughter stopped nursing a few months ago....I have another one cooking in the oven due in July..so I'm off to buy more this week..they are excellent...and I am REALLY picky about bras...:)

caleymama
04-28-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure if this is the same one you are talking about, but a Playtex underwire was my favorite nursing bra as well. This is the one I liked: http://www.playtexnet.com/products/4173.jsp. I got it at either Target or WalMart. It looks like the largest size for this one is 42DD, so this may not help the original poster but maybe it will help someone else :)

Just thought of one other place to look - they usually have a good variety of sizes and the prices are pretty good (they're not nursing bras, though - I have read somewhere how to turn regular bras into nursing bras ... I'll have to look for it):
http://www.onehanesplace.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=1600000991&cgnbr=2000000000&P=1&V=A

and for larger sizes like you are looking for : http://www.onehanesplace.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=1600000991&cgnbr=6400000000&P=1&V=A

HTH!

Imperia
04-28-2004, 12:02 PM
I have been a 36DD for years (even before I was PG) and now I am even bigger, but I was told NEVER to wear underwires while you are nursing because it can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis. While this sucks I am unwilling to take a chance.

I have a Bravado and it's okay, very comfy, but I agree it could be more supportive.

Imperia

ALLEYCAT
05-05-2004, 10:04 PM
I have had success with Goddess 511 and the extra support bra from leading lady. Not pretty but thay work. 38e now that ds is 6 months. Started at 36c prepreg, went to 42f the first week.

mamicka
05-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Sending you some good bra-finding vibes!

I've not been able to find anything better than acceptable so far but I thought I'd tell you anyway. (btw I'm about 30K or smallest band size with largest cup size) The Godess 511 & the Fancee Free 94305 work but don't hold-up well after washing so end up being droopy. I also wear a Colesce / Jeunique bra which is VERY supportive but also very shelfy. I'm definitely at the point where I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I found it IRL through this website (on the right it says 'Find A Participating Colesce Distributor Nearest You') www.ahbras.com. Other good website for large bras in general is www.birthandbaby.com.

Good luck!

Allison (Mamicka to Lawrence 6/17/03)

shall85296
05-13-2004, 08:06 PM
The best bra EVER is the Wacoal nursing bra ( okay that's just an opinion ). I believe there is only one style. If you have a Nordstrom - they are wonderful. Call ahead to see if they could help you out. It is worth the bucks!
sh

squimp
05-15-2004, 01:41 PM
That's also what I heard, but I could not live without the underwire nursing bras I have. I think it's probably important to start out with a non-underwire bra (first month or so), to make sure you don't have problems with mastitis. I would not be comfortable going to work and being around people without that underwire support (or maybe duct tape as described below).

I like the ones from Motherhood - the most important thing is to make sure you're wearing the right size or maybe even a little bit big to accomodate size fluctuations during the day. I was walking around in bras that were too small.

readytodance
06-29-2004, 03:54 AM
ROYCE NURSING BRAS FROM THE UK; ANITA NURSING BRAS FROM GERMANY; FANCY FREE IF YOUR BAND SIZE IS 34 OR HIGHER. MINE IS 32! MY BABY IS 8 MONTHS OLD AND I STILL HAVENT FOUND ONE. (I HAVE HIGH HOPES FOR THE ROYCE BECAUSE THE SHOULDER STRAPS ARE VERY ADJUSTABLE. I JUST ORDERED THEM ON LINE FROM THEIR WEBSITE) ALSO I JUST DISCOVERED THE JEUNIQUE NURSING BRAS BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THEM THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE SO SUPPORTIVE THAT THEY MIGHT DAMAGE YOUR BREASTS OR CLOG A DUCT...

mamicka
06-29-2004, 10:44 AM
>ROYCE NURSING BRAS FROM THE UK; ANITA NURSING BRAS FROM
>GERMANY; FANCY FREE IF YOUR BAND SIZE IS 34 OR HIGHER. MINE IS
>32! MY BABY IS 8 MONTHS OLD AND I STILL HAVENT FOUND ONE. (I
>HAVE HIGH HOPES FOR THE ROYCE BECAUSE THE SHOULDER STRAPS ARE
>VERY ADJUSTABLE. I JUST ORDERED THEM ON LINE FROM THEIR
>WEBSITE)

I tried the Royce & liked it a lot but for me the support didn't last all day. I'm also a 32 - but very busty. I would probably work really well for you if you're DD or under.

>ALSO I JUST DISCOVERED THE JEUNIQUE NURSING BRAS BUT
>I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THEM THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE SO SUPPORTIVE
>THAT THEY MIGHT DAMAGE YOUR BREASTS OR CLOG A DUCT...

These are actually what saved me. If you have the right fit, I doubt they would cause any problem, but I've not had any duct problems whatsoever. Maybe if you're more susceptible to them it'd be a problem? I would only recommend this kind of bra for ladies who are desperate for the support & you've exhausted all other options. You definitely sacrifice shape for support. (Although for me that was debatable - hang to my waist or sit on a shelf, which would you prefer? |-) )

munsonjn
07-18-2004, 12:30 AM
> The Godess 511 & the Fancee Free 94305 work but don't hold-up well
> after washing so end up being droopy.

What I didn't like about the Fancee Frees was that their "extra support" foam band made me "extra sweaty".

I LOVE my Goddess 511's. I haven't found them to wear badly... but then I have a front-loader machine and never put bras in the dryer. I adore the fact that I haven't had to make the bullets vs. boulders decision. I've found them at mommygear.com in addition to birthandbaby.com (but ASK if they have them in stock, I forget which place I was ordering from but when they were backordered on my size I had to wait over a month, by which time I was a different size). I've gone from a 40G down to a 38F in 9 months of breastfeeding (that's right, they can shrink even while producing more milk!). In other brands I was being told I should get a H or I cup but the G was plenty roomy. My only criticism was that the straps on my 40G didn't adjust short enough, so I safety-pinned them.

Jennifer