PDA

View Full Version : need help fast: Motherhood swimsuit sizes

american_mama
08-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Need quick sizing advice! I have to order a swimsuit by 7 pm EST tonight for a friend to bring it to me overseas next week. Has anyone purchased a maternity swimsuit from Motherhood and can you help with size advice?

I need to know whether to get a Medium or Large, and their website sizing info. is not helpful. I am 5'3", about 143 pounds pre-pregnancy, maybe 36C bra or smaller pre-pregnancy, somewhat small above waist but pretty big hips and butt. I haven't bought new clothes in so long, but I suspect I would take a size 12 pants and usually a Medium or Large top. I'm 6 months pregnant now and will be wearing the suit throughout the remainder of my pregnancy.

I am looking at the following two styles: Light Blue Periwinkle Skirted Suit or Silver Hardware Suit at http://www.motherhood.com/collection.asp?category_Name=1+piece+and+2+piece&Category_Id=1017&MasterCategory_Id=19&Pageison=1.

If you know of any other maternity suit options available over the internet for under $35 (ideally, tankini style), let me know ASAP!

amazz
08-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I have this suit from them: http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=24941017&category_Name=1+piece+and+2+piece&Category_Id=1017&MasterCategory_Id=19
and I think that was one you were looking at. I think it is really comfortable and I got a large. I am the same height as you, but bigger all around I think, so you may want to try a Med. The bottoms are pretty big (I don't really fit into any other Motherhood jeans or skirts and if I do I need an XL) and all swimsuits get a little larger when wet.
Old Navy has some suits as well and I almost got one of those. I didn't try them on though, so I can't help with size. They do have a better size guide on their website than Motherhood does. Here is the link: http://www.oldnavy.com/asp/dept_index_all_paging.asp?wdid=80355&MODE=B

I hope this helps somewhat!!
Angela
EDD 10/15/04

american_mama
08-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Angela;

Thanks for the info. So now I am convinced I need a Motherhood size Medium (which they don't currently have online in any style I like), but I still wonder about other brands. I have been cruising the internet and found some cheap swimsuit options at Old Navy (asyou suggested), JCPenney (bad website... takes a lot of looking to find suits), amothersplace.com, and ebay (I found some new suits on ebay.) I'm just frozen with indecision about size. Just worried about tight bottoms, and thinking realistically, how likely is it that a mail order suit is going to please me? I am very much a try-things-on person, but I can't do that where I am located.

amazz
08-08-2004, 09:56 PM
I hear ya on needing to try things on. By the time I decided I really liked one of the Old Navy tankinis and would take the chance for less than $30, it was gone!!! I was lucky enough to walk in to Motherhood just the day they put all their bathing suits out on sale. I had decided with Old Navy that if the suit didn't fit I would just return it and keep looking, but did you say you are overseas? That might not be as much of an option for you. x(
I wish I had some more advice for you, but just wanted to commiserate. I hope you eventually find what you are looking for!!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

american_mama
08-31-2004, 01:19 PM
In case anyone finds the message and is in a similar situation trying to gauge fit of different brand swimsuits, I am the original poster and ordered two materntiy swimsuits and had good luck with both. I'm 5'3", 143 pounds prepreg, size 12 pants and 36C bra. I got a JC Penney swimdress in a medium and it fits great top and bottoms. The straps are adjustable and there is a very supportive, lightly padded built-in bra. It does float up a lot as you swim and get really clingy around the legs when wet, so it's more flattering dry than wet, but I can live with it.

I also got an Old Navy tankini in large, and the bottoms fit great and the top fits OK. There is a tiny droop in the top between my breasts, but it's very minor and still looks good and covers me fine. The top is lined with a pseudo bra, but it offers no support and fits poorly, so I would not recommend the top for anyone who requires really good support. The top does have adjustable straps, which helps with fit but not much with support. I have not worn this one in the water yet.

I would include photos, but I can't find the link to the JC Penney suit anymore. It is a medium blue two piece suit with long flared top and green trim under the bust and on the straps. The Old Navy suit must have been last year's style. It is an underbelly bottoms with a simple tank top, no crossover on the bust, halter on the neck, or racer on the back.