PDA

View Full Version : How neurotic are you about hiding your belly?

Marisa6826
09-26-2004, 01:53 AM
I just bought a bunch of babystyle.com Essential Mom longsleeved Ts. Wouldn't you know it, they're not long enough. What IS it with shirts that aren't long enough? I already have a waste of about 8 Target shirts that shrunk too short.

I look like Winnie the Pooh!

I'm figuring that this is the only point in my life where I can get away with bearing my midriff a bit. I'm kind of worried since I have ten weeks to go. I'm NOT spending any more money on maternity clothes though!

Do you care about your belly hanging out a bit?

-m

mamicka
09-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Nope - not at all. I say let it show - especially if it's comfy for you. You're not talking about walking around with a bra-top, it's just peeking out of your shirt. I think I asked this kind of question a few months ago & most of the responses were very supportive of showing bellies.

Go for it!
Allison

beckyr88
09-26-2004, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't mind showing some actual belly, but I *hate* when the shirt won't cover the jean's panel! I am having the same problem as you, Marisa. I tried on some cute fitted T shirts from the Gap, and they are perfect, but just now (and I'm only 24 weeks). My belly has a looong way to go, and I'm not spending $25 on a T shirt for the next 2 weeks! Why don't they give us just a couple more inches???!!

annasmom
09-26-2004, 03:27 PM
I swear, I was just coming onto this board to complain about the Gap t-shirts. I was wondering if it was just me. I loved them because they didn't look like maternity t-shirts, kind of form fitting. But they are not long enough! I feel like a fool always pulling up my pants to cover the panel!!! And I am only 20 weeks. I did buy some t-shirts from Old Navy that are much longer. I think I like them, but they are a bit tent-like. I may have just bought them in a size too big though. I am hoping they shrink -- a little. The Old Navy t's are much cheaper too, I think $14. Please let me know if you all find any better t-shirts!!

Eileen

amazz
09-26-2004, 03:46 PM
2 words--Land's End!!!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

amazz
09-26-2004, 03:47 PM
I have some nasty looking stretch marks so there is no way I would let my belly hang out. However, if I didn't have such bad ones I would totally do it. :)

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

lisbeth916
09-26-2004, 05:15 PM
I just found some t-shirts from JCPenney Maternity catalog. $9.60 each (on sale), really nice cool cotton jersey material. So far my favorite shirt. Waiting for my order to come in, ordered one in each color! They have solids and stripes, (I however, would not wear a horizontal stripe non pregnant, let alone pregnant). For the solids misses it is DS285-0830 non sale $14.00, Womens DS285-0834 non sale $16.00. They are nice and long, definatley a high quality T! ~Beth

Marisa6826
09-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Ang-

I have some serious stretch marks too. They're actually from Sophie, not Amelia.

At this point, I consider them a badge of courage ;) :P

I'm also only talking about maybe 1-2" of skin showing, max.

-m

momathome
09-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Ugh!!! Marisa, I feel your pain! It is amazing to me how much the styling has changed on maternity shirts since I was pregnant with Kasey - I have size small and medium Motherhood tees from 4 years ago that are huge on me right now. And yet a new Motherhood tee and a Mimi tee just barely fit and my belly is just starting to show. I cannot get over how short and form-fitting the new maternity shirts are. I bought some cute Liz Lange Target tees and had to get a large - and they fit fine FOR NOW! What happens when I am 8 months pregnant - extra-large, anyone? The only thing I can think of is to get some extra-large mens dress shirts that you can layer over the maternity shirts. Otherwise, just let it hang out! ;)

Piglet
09-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Yes, that is my problem too - I wouldn't mind the belly showing, but urrggghh, I hate the panel showing.

I solved the problem by buying men's stretch T's. They are longer than women's and stretch enough that they fit over my belly.

calebsmama03
09-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm all for showing off the belly! I felt it was my reward for getting to the point that I actually HAD a belly (went into PTL and almost lost C at 22 weeks). The only thing I can't stand is showing the belly panel on pants :( I had all underbelly pants for that reason.
I say show that belly mama!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

Sia Anderson
09-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Although not currently pregnant… I loved to hang it out. However it does depend on your body and self-esteem. I had a few friends that preferred to cover it all up and shouldn’t have. Being pregnant is an amazing time when things change, embrace that change and love it! ;-)

lizajane
10-01-2004, 08:08 PM
i think a tiny little bit of belly peeking out is cute. but i, too, hate the panel showing!!! even the underbelly kind. so i let an inch sneak out now and then when i am wearing my size up shorts with my regular size tees. but i don't when wearing maternity jeans. but i saw a woman recently in maternity jeans-the underbelly no panel kind- with a tight top and some belly sticking out. even though you could see the stripe of "maternity jean" i thought she looked SO cute! of course, her figure was perfect and her skin was dark (asian) so of course she looked great!