PDA

View Full Version : Nursing bras and clothes

KBecks
10-06-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm starting to think about nursing clothes and probably dont' want to buy anything special. But now I realize I will be wearing button-front everything for the next 12 months, is that right? Or would stretchy T-shirts be good enough to hike up for nursing too?

Where do you find nursing bras in stores like Target? I haven't found them -- are they usually by maternity or by the lingerie? I'm small chested (barely outgrowing my A cup during pregnancy), but probably will want a few nursing bras for when I go out.

Yesterday I purchased a poncho and think it will be great for discreetly nursing. Let's hope the baby goes for it.

KBecks
due 10-18-04

linsei
10-16-2004, 01:26 AM
I found that for nursing, I just wear normal clothes. Most of my tops have lycra and are stretchy anyway. Button down shirts, IMO, were awkward. I found myself pulling them up rather that unbuttoning. I do use a nursing bra. Regular ones would be difficult, I think.

I had a hard time locating the nursing bras at Target too. I did find them in the regular lingere section on a small display. I didn't end up using theirs, though.

HTH

Linda

linsei
10-16-2004, 01:26 AM
I found that for nursing, I just wear normal clothes. Most of my tops have lycra and are stretchy anyway. Button down shirts, IMO, were awkward. I found myself pulling them up rather that unbuttoning. I do use a nursing bra. Regular ones would be difficult, I think.

I had a hard time locating the nursing bras at Target too. I did find them in the regular lingere section on a small display. I didn't end up using theirs, though.

HTH

Linda

ErinMC
10-16-2004, 12:01 PM
I did buy some nursing clothes, but found that stretchy t-shirts and button-front clothes worked just as well. In fact, I sometimes found myself hiking up my nursing t-shirts without realizing it, instead of using the nursing slits! :-) The nursing shirts are great for the occasional nursing-in-public times, but one or two should be fine. With a poncho though, you might not even need any!

The Target nursing bras are in the lingerie section. They also have nursing bra/tank tops in the same place, which I really liked, although since DS was born in the spring, that was helpful for me, and with you being due in the fall, that might not help as much.

My favorite bra has actually been a Playtex Expectant Moments. I bought one at Sears, and one at Target, but I haven't seen them at Target regularly. I have others, bought online and in stores, but that's still my fave.

HTH!

ErinMC
10-16-2004, 12:01 PM
I did buy some nursing clothes, but found that stretchy t-shirts and button-front clothes worked just as well. In fact, I sometimes found myself hiking up my nursing t-shirts without realizing it, instead of using the nursing slits! :-) The nursing shirts are great for the occasional nursing-in-public times, but one or two should be fine. With a poncho though, you might not even need any!

The Target nursing bras are in the lingerie section. They also have nursing bra/tank tops in the same place, which I really liked, although since DS was born in the spring, that was helpful for me, and with you being due in the fall, that might not help as much.

My favorite bra has actually been a Playtex Expectant Moments. I bought one at Sears, and one at Target, but I haven't seen them at Target regularly. I have others, bought online and in stores, but that's still my fave.

HTH!

jillc
10-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I agree w/previous posters that it's really the easiest to just wear regular t-shirts or sweaters & then just hike up one side for the baby to nurse. I have a few button down tops, & I still end up just hiking them up to nurse. I also bought two nursing tops from Motherhood, which are ok, but it's quicker & easier to just hike up, in my opinion. You might buy 1 nursing top to try, especially if you're nervous about nursing in public, or there's a specific situation that concerns you. I bought mind b/c we were having some home repairs done & I was concerned about potentially flashing the workers. I rarely wear them, though.

You'll find that at home it's easy b/c who cares if you're discreet or not, and you'll quickly get adept at nursing discreetly in public. :)

At the recommendation of my lactation consultant, I went to a certified nursing bra fitter (who knew these existed??) about 3 wks before my due date & she had lots of bras for my to try on, and she helped my w/the fit. (My MIL thought this was completely ridiculous, but I'm glad I did it.) I purchased 2 Medela nursing bras from her which I have used almost exclusively. I think they were about $30 each, but they have held up great & are easy to use.

When you do purchase nursing bras, make sure they fit you on the loosest setting. It's amazing how much your ribcage will shrink (back to it's pre-preg size)after you have the baby. I now wear mine on the tightest setting, & they're a bit roomy.

HTH.
Jill

jillc
10-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I agree w/previous posters that it's really the easiest to just wear regular t-shirts or sweaters & then just hike up one side for the baby to nurse. I have a few button down tops, & I still end up just hiking them up to nurse. I also bought two nursing tops from Motherhood, which are ok, but it's quicker & easier to just hike up, in my opinion. You might buy 1 nursing top to try, especially if you're nervous about nursing in public, or there's a specific situation that concerns you. I bought mind b/c we were having some home repairs done & I was concerned about potentially flashing the workers. I rarely wear them, though.

You'll find that at home it's easy b/c who cares if you're discreet or not, and you'll quickly get adept at nursing discreetly in public. :)

At the recommendation of my lactation consultant, I went to a certified nursing bra fitter (who knew these existed??) about 3 wks before my due date & she had lots of bras for my to try on, and she helped my w/the fit. (My MIL thought this was completely ridiculous, but I'm glad I did it.) I purchased 2 Medela nursing bras from her which I have used almost exclusively. I think they were about $30 each, but they have held up great & are easy to use.

When you do purchase nursing bras, make sure they fit you on the loosest setting. It's amazing how much your ribcage will shrink (back to it's pre-preg size)after you have the baby. I now wear mine on the tightest setting, & they're a bit roomy.

HTH.
Jill