PDA

View Full Version : Plus size maternity clothes?

dknees
11-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Okay, I'm not a thin gal, I'm 5'9" and I generally wear a size 16. I am having the hardest time buying maternity clothes! The "regular" sized ones (XL) are too small. Not in the belly area, because I'm only 17 weeks and my belly's not really popped out. But, shirts are too small in the shoulders and bust and pants are too tight in the thighs! Why is this? ALL of my regular clothes fit me just fine in these areas. Even my Levi's, which have a tapered leg fit me in the thighs, they're just too tight around the belly. I am still able to wear my regular shirts, but soon will need a little extra room.

I went to Motherhood to buy some pants, and the woman informed me that I had either had fat thighs to begin with or had gained a lot of weight in my thighs (she said, "some pregnant women just ARE that way!") which is why their pants didn't fit. She directed me to their plus section, which is RIDICULOUSLY huge on me. The pants looked like a tent! I managed to get a couple of pairs of pants from JC Penney in XL Tall sizes and they're a little better, but not the full panel, so I'll need more "coverage" as I get bigger.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have gained 2 pounds total this pregnancy, so I'm finding it hard to believe my thighs and shoulders have suddenly become enormous!!!! I've looked at some of the suggested retailers of plus sized maternity clothes from the book, and I'm just not impressed with their selections. Any ideas? My job is fairly casual (khakis, sweaters, etc) so I'm lucky to not need dresses or pantsuits, but I'm running out of ideas. I don't necessarily need tall sizes, I'm kind of "in-between" in the height area. Plese, HELP!!!!!!!!

TIA

Sangiovese
11-07-2004, 09:20 AM
I don't have the exact same problem as you, but I can empathize. Maternity clothes aren't one style fits all. You might have to "think alternatively". Try larger sizes of pants with elastic waistbands or men's clothes (particularly men's shirts). You could even just push the waist band under your belly (like men do) - some women find this comfortable, some do not.

I am 37 weeks, in my second pregnancy, and I still can't wear maternity pants/shorts. The belly part of the pants is too big and the bum/thigh part is too small, even in the XL Maternity sizes. And the pants are always too long. Pre-pregnancy, I was a size 12, but I have always had a good sized bum and thighs. My favorite bottoms are two pairs of LLBean XL shorts with elastic waists (non-maternity). I only half-jokingly say that the baby must be in my bum and my boobs because my belly wasn't getting very big (until the last 2 or 3 weeks).

You might have a lot of early swelling - I did with my first pregnancy, but not with my second. (With my first, I was buying wide sized shoes around 4 months.) That might be the reason that the fit is so difficult.

I know that it is frustrating - I was so looking forward to wearing those cute maternity clothes, but they just never fit.

lisaE
11-07-2004, 10:12 AM
A pox on that saleswoman! How rude!

Have you tried Old Navy?

JElaineB
11-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Try http://www.babybecoming.com. I am much more plus-sized than you and I got almost all of my maternity clothes from there. I actually went to their office (not a store really) in Rhode Island and got personal service and a few custom made pieces, along with some available from their website. The owner Charlotte is a plus-sized mom herself and is very good to work with. If you have any concerns about sizing I am sure you could call her and she could make recommendations or even custom make something from your measurements.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Marisa6826
11-07-2004, 11:38 AM
www.gap.com goes to size 18-20 and www.landsend.com goes to 18.

LOVE the LE stuff. I am normally a 22-24 and the LE 18s fit with room to grow. I'm 34w, and still have room to "unbutton" the insides more. The LE XL shirts also still fit me and my belly is really out there.

Good luck (btw - I'm up 35 lbs)

-m

dknees
11-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks, ladies for your ideas!

I have decided to completely boycott Motherhood. That nasty rude woman, after telling me I had fat thighs, wanted me to register. I was like, "uh, no!"

I will take a look at baby becomings. I just don't understand why maternity clothes are cut smaller in the shoulders/bust/thigh area than regular clothes! You'd think mommies to be would need EXTRA room in those areas and not want to wear something that's too tight.

I've tried dh's clothes. I can wear his shirts and his sweat pants, but not his regular pants. I actually was wearing them at the beginning of the pregnancy, but now they seem to be a bit tight in the belly and I find them uncomfortable.

Canna
11-07-2004, 06:24 PM
I was also going to recommend the Lands End. Their styles seem roomy and they have pants that actually come in SIZES - not just S/M/L/XL.

I got some cordouroy pants from them and they seemed true to their size chart and are very comfy, and they hemmed them to my specified length. Their tops are roomy too.

Here is a link to my pants. I am wearing them right now and they are very cute.
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_54818_108660_87107_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_34717&sid=6937076749938117090

Marisa6826
11-07-2004, 07:07 PM
What's great about the LE and Gap stuff is that you can return them to Sears and Gap stores no questions asked.

I highly recommend both of them.

I personally hate Motherhood/Mimi/Pea in a Pod. Not only does their quality suck, their stores are a wreck and they sell your name!

-m

dknees
11-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Well....I ordered a shirt and a pair of pants from LE this afternoon. I did like most of the stuff I saw. Now, we just need to see how well stuff fits :)

Thanks for your help!

ellies mom
11-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Oh, I hated buying maternity clothes for just those reasons. The clothes are all cut for prepubescent girls, who shouldn't be pregnant in the first place, and not for real women who are. Motherhood Maternity (evil place) sells an elastic band / cloth panel contraption that turns a pair of regular pants into something resembling maternity pants. It works just ok, but it's better than nothing. Good luck.

tinkerbell1217
11-08-2004, 06:27 PM
What a rude saleswoman!!! Ugh, I would have walked out!

I am normally a size 14/16 and Gap works for me. Most of the time I buy their ankle length, I am short, and it fits perfectly. Since you are taller I would think their tall would fit great! They have the demi panel too, which I loved! Their tops fit a bit snug if they are 100% cotton, but for the most part they are great! When stuff is on sale its great too. I got most of my maternity clothes from Gap with a few MHood and Mimi and JW thrown in. I had most of my luck at Gap. Lots of luck!

HannaAddict
11-09-2004, 03:06 AM
Can't stand Motherhood Maternity anyway. I lived in Old Navy jeans since I could get them long enough. They were cheaper than Gap, if you can find some that fit. Good luck.

dknees
11-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I just got my stuff from Lands End today, a pair of twill pants and an oxford shirt, and I'm soooooooooooo happy to say that they fit so well and are FABULOUS!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm off to buy more comfy clothes :)

MeredithsMom
11-18-2004, 09:15 PM
I was about the same size pre-pregnancy and gained very little. I had the same issues with Motherhood pants--very thin through the leg, while the plus sizes were huge. The clothes are also horrible quality and fall apart almost immediately. I had lots of luck with Gap Maternity tops XL (I'm smaller on top) and Target Liz Lange shirts and pants. Finally, I bought some plus size pants at Lord and Taylor, but I looked for a very specific type. They were almost capri pants (a little longer, but big and stretchy around the stomach, super small around the ankles). B/c of the shape of the pants, they fit my tummy without swimming around my legs.

Good luck!