PDA

View Full Version : Compression pantyhose/stockings

s7714
01-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks to the lovely blugging vein that has been growing down one of my legs :(, I am looking for some good compression pantyhose or stockings. Any recommendations? By chance, has anyone here tried compression thigh-highs?

TIA,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
#2 It's a girl! EDD: 6/05

Dcclerk
01-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Here is a link to another discussion re compression hose.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=19171&mode=full

In sum, I didn't try the thigh-highs, so can't help you there. I tried a number of different brands and really thought that Jobst were the best. Use rubber gloves (like for dishwashing) to get them on; it really helps you grip without busting a hole through them. Sorry you get to join in the fun!

s7714
01-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the link. That thread didn't show up when I did a search for some reason!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
#2 It's a girl! EDD: 6/05

Puddy73
01-21-2005, 09:27 AM
I had to wear Jobst pantyhose for a few months. My legs felt sooo much better after I started wearing them. I didn't try the thigh-highs or any other brand. As Kerry suggested, rubber gloves do help you get them on straight. My doctor recommended that I put them on before I got out of bed in the morning, and it was such a struggle to squeeze my fat self into them without even going to the bathroom first. Sorry you have to join this club!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

nan
01-25-2005, 02:56 PM
<sigh> Welcome to the party. My mom told me to put my feet up and by compression stockings even before she said congratulations! Runs in the family, you know ...
Got mine at www.ameswalker.com. Great customer service. I have the Jobst 8-15mm and the Ames Walker RxFit Style 26 (15-20mm) I think. Actually like the AW better-- more support, and more durable. I got 4 pairs with my first pregnancy, and I'll be having #3 next month. And I'm not exactly light on these-- travelling, toddlers, machine wash ... The Jobst are sheer-er, but they are also less supportive. And AW has probably improved in the last 4 years.
I agree w/PPs-- unbelievable maneuvering to get them on (remember to laugh) but well worth it at the end of the day, especailly if you're on your feet.
Thigh highs would make me nervous ... I can't even wear socks with elastic ankles right now because my ankles swell above and below the elastic. Not terribly, but enough to annoy me. The thought of the same thing happening around my thighs pains me. I'm sure the engineering takes that into account, but I just don't think they'd work for me.

Good luck!
Nancy

Clytemnestra85
01-26-2005, 11:19 AM
I wear T.E.D. hose knee highs. They're great and run around $25. I think you can get them at any drug store. They aren't the most fashionable that's for sure, but they do the trick. The T.E.D. thigh-highs are OK, as long as you pick the right size!

My one trick for putting them on is to put baby powder on your legs and feet before putting on the hose. Not only will this allow them to slide on easier, but it will absorb any moisture if you start to sweat. Also when putting them on, pull up on the hose from the spot right above your heel. I'm a nurse and I put these hose on swollen people all the time. I frequently have "races" with the CNA's to see who can get the hose on the fastest and I always win :).

HTH!