PDA

View Full Version : Help with 3rd Trimester clothing for an oversized belly

barbarhow
02-27-2005, 03:52 PM
OMG! My belly has exploded in the last week or so. None of my clothes are going to fit in a week or so-most are no longer fitting now. I am not a huge person-wore an 8 pre pregnancy and now am having trouble fitting into size large maternity clothes. I need a couple decent pairs of pants that I can wear to work-black twill pants work well-anything. I do not want to spend a fortune-I am hoping to get stuff on sale. I am doubting at the rate of this decline that I will last the next 8 weeks at work. Between the varicosities, the pubic pain, now the HUGE leg swelling-I don't see it happening. I would probably even settle for one pair of pants-I work M, W, F so I could wash them every other day.
Any ideas? I have perused the Gap, ON, Babystyle-haven't seen too much in the right price range. TIA.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/6/05!

ktdid74
02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Hee-Hee! Want to come up to L&D and steal some scrubs :) What about JCPenny's or Sears. Maybe they have some basic black that would last you through the home stretch! I can't believe you're in the 3rd trimester already :) Take care--

C99
02-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Barbara,

I have a pair of size L dark gray maternity pants from Mimi Maternity that I bought last time when I just swelled up about a week from giving birth. They are huge. I bought them just before my shower, wore them about twice and haven't worn them since. I don't think I will wear them this time. If you'd like, I can send them off to you and you can see if they'd work. Just PM or e-mail your address and I will get them into the mail tomorrow.

trumansmom
02-28-2005, 03:18 AM
What about these? http://tinyurl.com/4qbcu

or these? http://tinyurl.com/6pwso

I LOVED Lands End pants when I was pregnant. I actually considered having them altered so I could wear them after!

Good luck surviving! That last trimester is a bitch!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

WeasieG
02-28-2005, 03:44 AM
I've found that Target's Liz Lange line is very affordable, and it's professional enough to pull off at our consulting firm. The look is tailored, and the price is right. Sometimes there is a limited selection at the stores, so I'd advise going online at http://target.com/target_baby/liz_lange.jhtml
PS, I cried last month (month 7) when I couldn't fit into even my preggo clothes. I used to be a size 8, and now it's just insulting going to Motherhood or Mimi, and God forbid Pea ITP wrt sizes. The sizing in the Target Liz Lange collection are true to forgiving, too.

NatalieM
02-28-2005, 10:07 AM
I see we are due around the same time! I purchased some work pants at Old Navy and Lands End. At the time I bought a few mediums to wear right away and a couple of large sizes for later on (at Old Navy). Sure enough, I'm wearing my size large pants now. I also saw that they had size XL too. I got a few tops there, but not too many. They were not expensive at all, but have held up pretty well so far. I'm a programmer so the dress code for me is business casual. I don't know about anyone else but I can only wear my Liz Lange jeans (which I only wear on the weekends, not to work) b/c the other outfits I bought shrunk drastically when I washed and laid them out to dry. The other clothes I've bought were from PIP and Mimi, but unless you get some good sale items you'll obviously be paying a lot more.
HTH, Natalie

calebsmama03
02-28-2005, 05:48 PM
I noticed the LL stuff seemed really stretchy. They had a stretch jersey reminiscent of the JW and BS "Luxe Jersey". Comfy like sweats but nice enough for work.

FWIW, the outlet at babystyle has some jersey and other stretch pants on clearance. Not sure what size you need now, but it seemed everything there was either the largest or smallest sizes - you might check it out? Don't you just HATE the idea of buying pants that will only be used for 3 months?!?

ETA: Here are some
$12-20 depending on color at BS
http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=12336&SIND=1&cmCL=estyleoutlet&frm=2

Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

barbarhow
02-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Caroline-I just pm'd you. Thanks.

barbarhow
02-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Did you actually have these? I am wondering if I get a size 14 if they would last me the rest of the time. I am so afraid my butt and hips will swim in them. Worth a try I guess, though.

barbarhow
02-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Don't you just HATE
>the idea of buying pants that will only be used for 3
>months?!?
OH YES!!! It's killing me! I have a closet full of size medium Mimis and others-none of which fit. Ugh. Like I can't think of a million other ways to spend my money. Like maybe on the $110/pair maternity support hose that I have to get to support my swelling legs and varicose veins....

mamahill
03-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Hugs. I bought 3 pairs of Large pants a couple months ago and it was the best thing ever. I'm actually (gasp) comfortable. Some of my size M shirts that button up are starting to pull at the buttons - lovely. Gotta love the expanding belly - it's like watching a bowl of bread dough rise (and just about the same color, in my case).

Dcclerk
03-01-2005, 11:07 PM
It's off-topic, but still one near and dear to my heart. :P I haven't had to wear them much this pregnancy, but with DS, I wore them every day. And, having bought over 8 pairs, just wanted to give you the heads' up that eBay is a great place to buy the support hose. I bought my first ones at a pharmacy place to make sure I was fitted correctly and there after, I just bought the NIP (new in package) ones off eBay. I swear I paid about 2/3 less on eBay. I HIGHLY recommend that route if you are going to get more than 1 pair.

As for the big clothes, I am completely with you on being huge. I feel like I should beep as I back up like the big semi-trucks. I can't believe I am this huge and have 3 weeks left. It's ridiculous. (Even the doctor today said, "Wow, you're big." Thanks :P) But for such a short amount of time, I would 3rd/4th or whatever the Target specials. Or, alternatively, I am always very impressed with the Japanese Weekend HUG line and really do think that I will be able to wear it as transition wear, also. Good luck for the home stretch.

barbarhow
03-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I am laughing WAY out loud!!! It is kind of like bread dough-only I never get to punch it down :-)

barbarhow
03-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the tip on the hose. I picked them up today and have them on-my legs feel so much better. The rest of me is totally exhausted but my legs feel like they could do a jig...
I love the thought of beeping when I back up. It is getting rather absurd. People at work-including my patients-laugh at the size of my belly. It is all belly-but it is just gigantic. The real test is the appt tomorrow with my regular doctor who always says exactly what is on his mind-being a New Yorker-I totally love it-so it should be pretty funny to see what he has to say about it.