PDA

View Full Version : Buying clothes that fit?

duesept05
05-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Okay I have had the hardest time with maternity clothes. I'm 24 weeks pregnant and clothes just don't fit right. I think I sort of grew all over rather than in my belly so much...especially my chest size which outpaced everything else.

Before pregnancy I was a size 4 and wore a small in everything. Once I hit about 8 weeks or so, my medium sized tops weren't working right and then I got to need the size 8 pants.

But now, I'm having a hard time getting clothes to fit. I have some maternity jeans that someone loaned me that are probably a medium low rise and they slowly fall down as I walk. I thought they just didn't fit and bought a pair from Old Navy that seemed to work well - also size medium. Now I have the same problem where I have to constantly pull up my pants.

With shirts - If I get a small they're too small on the top and same with some mediums. However, a lot of medium tops are too big on the bottom. I've tried large and it just doesn't work. I was a 34B before pregnancy and am at 34D now. I haven't grown too much up top lately, but fear it will start to pick up.

I feel like I look frumpy rather than pregnant. Any suggestions on what I can do????

stcelia
05-30-2005, 07:55 PM
I don't think I owned a single pair of maternity pants that didn't slowly fall down as I walked. I guess that's what happens when pants no longer have hips to hang on. I don't have any suggestions for you, sorry. But, being as small as you are, I'm sure you are cuter than realize. I look back at my pregnant photos and think "what was wrong with me? I was so cute and didn't realize it!" You are your worst critic.

C99
05-30-2005, 08:47 PM
As the other poster said, I think pants that slowly fall down are a part of maternity wear. I had good luck w/ the Babystyle Everyday drawstring pant -- especially b/c they are billed as "in transit" wear and you can wear them after pregnancy too. But really, just wait...by 32 weeks, you should be filling everything out and by 36 weeks, you'll be wondering what you were thinking when your maternity tees are stretched to the max.

twodogs
05-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I had the same problem. I finally found some pants that seemed to work the best, although I agree with the other ladies that all maternity pants fall down to some degree. I bought Noppies brand pants (only at nicer maternity shops). They are made of the same nice fabric all over, and the top part can go over the belly or be folded down for under the belly (that's how I wear them). The fabric is light and thin, so it doesn't bulk up even when you fold them down. Once you have tried them on, you will love them! I ended up with 2 pairs of long pants, 2 pairs of capris, and 2 skirts. They are about all I wear these days. Good luck!

twodogs
05-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Sorry double post.

sidmand
05-31-2005, 01:29 AM
Geez, I was beginning to think I was just the wrong shape for maternity pants. I love the look of my Old Navy pants, but all day long I'm pulling them up and it drives me nuts! If you have one of those maternity belts though, you can wear that over the pants. I'm not sure it's helping any for any other pain, but it sure does keep my pants up! (And now that I'm not peeing every five minutes, it's okay, but kind of a pain everytime you have to go to the bathroom.)

As far as clothing that fits--I'm a lot bigger than you, but had the same kind of problem--my chest definitely grew first and then I just looked big all over rather than pregnant. Eventually it does even out and as the pp said, you probably look better than you think. It is hard though. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with pants falling down. I was thinking if I'm still in these pants with a baby, how will I ever cope without hands to pull up my pants!?

ETA: (my signature) and also I meant to say that I've had better luck with Motherhood Maternity pants that stay up. In fact, all my Motherhood Maternity pants stay up fine. It's pretty much only the Old Navy ones that keep falling down!

Debbie
http://lilypie.com/days/050619/0/8/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

It's a boy! Now we just need to come up with a name! Narrowed down to probably Sawyer...

dianna
05-31-2005, 02:12 AM
I've had good luck with my Gap Maternity Jeans staying up...but yep...everything else seems to creep its way down. My Japanese Weekend jeans, which were the most expensive, are the worst offenders of sliding down and driving me nuts.

As far as tops, I've found that unless its a stretchy material, its really hard to find cute things that fit well. :(

soontobemommy
06-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi,
I too was a size 4 and nothing seems to fit right (am about 16 weeks) and I have some jeans from Old Navy and they fall down all the time. I have found the clothes are Gap are MUCH more flattering and also make me look pregnant and not round. Just an FYI - more $$$ but worth it. I got an adorable outfit there today - can't get over it's even maternity. The Old Navy stuff makes me look wide and doesn't stay up well. I'd try Gap. I haven't tried pants at other places yet as it's summer and I mostly wear dresses/skirts anymore but give Gap a try.
Lauren

nola
06-02-2005, 06:33 PM
These ideas probably aren't jems, but throw them out there...

Since the other options are working, give non-maternity clothes another look. In both my preg, I used normal clothes (larger size, low-rise, and often in a stretch material) until the last trimester. The tummy just didn't warrant the full-on maternity styles. I really wondered why the breasts were growing faster than the belly.

Buy styles that allow for a belt. I belt most my pants and they don't fall. I notice Old Navy low-rise ones have no belt loops. What were they thinking?

Or (if you sew) take your Old Navy low-rise maternity pants and pull in the elastic and sew at the seamline, or add belt loops. You can also take some existing pants that fit the legs and hips, cut out the top 2 inches from the waistline, and add a fabric covered elastic 2 inches wide. If they fall as you walk take in the elastic. Someone somewhere posted detailed instructions.

Sorry not to have better ideas. You really shouldn't have to deal with dropping pants all day.

pb&j
06-03-2005, 02:16 PM
I agree that Gap fit me better than Old Navy. I was about a size 6 pre pg. I had a few pairs of ON mat. pants, and they never, ever would stay up. When I was first starting to show, they fell down because my belly was too small. When I was really showing, they fell down because my belly was too big. I loved my Gap pants though. A little more spendy, but I wasn't constantly hitching them up.

-Paige,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Chippie, edd 01/15/06

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

MarisaSF
06-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Paige, my dear. Guess who??? You can't hide from me!

ETA: sorry to hijack there.

OP: I agree with PP who said just you wait, but 32 weeks you'll be looking cute in all those maternity clothes!

new_mommy25
06-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Lol, I remember that all too well. I agree that Gap is waaaay better than Old Navy. Have you seen the Bella Band? It looks pretty cool.
http://tinyurl.com/83jqw

pb&j
06-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Teehee, Marisa! I have been stalking you here for ages. ;)

Sorry for the hijack!

-Paige,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Chippie, edd 01/15/06

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

becca13
06-07-2005, 09:49 AM
I agree with those who liked Gap stuff. I have one pair of pants (they come in black and gray) that are stretchy and that I wore from 20 weeks and still wear now at 35. There is a skirt version in the same material that is great. Some of the Gap roll panels seem to work for me too. There is no avoiding the slide down in some cases. First the jeans slid down because they were a bit big, then because my belly pushed them down. Another good transitional option might be some motherhood pants (if there is a Macy's nearby go to their motherhood shop since they have an actual return policy). The ones I have have a short zipper (with a stretchy panel behind) on each side with a belt in the same material across the back. You can adjust the belt as your belly grows, and then unzip the zippers while adjusting the belt if you get very big. (I have yet to undo the zips). HTH