PDA

View Full Version : Early Labor Question

set81616
07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
@2 weeks ago I had a really bad low blood sugar attack and I blacked out for a couple of seconds. I was told to go to the hospital and found out I was having contractions every 4 minutes. Probably due to dehydration. (I sweat a lot after an attack.) The contractions stopped and the exam showed nothing much was happening (my cervix was a little short but not dilating). I had to go get an ultrasound this week and it turns out the baby is already head down. I'm only 28 weeks and the nurse said although not normal it does happen. Should I be worried? I go to my doctor next week but I'd like a little reassurance before then.
Thanks,
Shannon

JenaW
07-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Which is not normal - the head down position or the early contractions? Both of my babies were head down early on and stayed that way...although my son was posterior and did not flip until during delivery. As for contractions, it is very well known that dehydration can cause them. As long as your cervix is not changing and the contractions stopped, I am sure you are fine. Your OB will probably reassure you more at your visit. The hypoglycemic episodes are a bit scary - did you skip a meal? I would be more concerned about that....do they happen often??

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

set81616
07-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I've had low blood sugar since I was a teenager. I haven't had an attack that bad in a couple of years but my doctor says it tends to get worse during pregnacy so I am now trying to eat every 1 1/2 hrs instead of every 2. The blood sugar does seem to be interfering with my gaining weight but the baby is on the chart weight wise even if he's below avarage. I know he can still gain a lot so I'm not worried about him being small right now. I was told the baby being head down so soon was not normal and so I was a little worried about that.
Thanks,
Shannon

JenaW
07-22-2005, 12:40 PM
I worked in OBGYN as a physician assistant before my kids were born, and have seen several babies who are head down early on. Most babies change positions frequently....yours could have been head down yesterday at the scan, trasnverse immediately afterwards, and breech now. At this point in the pregnancy, their position really doesn't matter, nor mean anything!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, and KEEP EATING!!!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

amp
07-22-2005, 01:08 PM
My DS was always head down when we did our ultrasounds. I swear, he was never in another position when we took a peek at him. And I had regular ultrasounds from shortly after 20 wks until the very end. Never had any preterm labor though.

You might want to cross post this in the lounge for more input. The only people in the maternity forum (generally speaking) are those who are pg now. In the lounge, you'll get the benefit of anyone who might have experienced similar in the past.

sidmand
07-23-2005, 08:27 AM
DS was headdown from 28 weeks on. I was told it wasn't unusual and he might move around but he never moved from there!

Debbie

Rachels
07-23-2005, 12:16 PM
I've been having trouble with hypoglycemia, too, and am also having a lot of early contractions. As long as you're not dilating, they're nothing to worry about. You DO need to stay well-hydrated, though. The best thing I've done in terms of managing my blood sugar has been to get a glucose meter and test it at home. It's really not bad, pain-wise, and it helped me get a handle on how quickly my blood sugar drops after I eat. Knowing that has helped me manage it more effectively.

As for being head down, that's nothing to worry about at all. My daughter went head down at 26 weeks and never flipped upright again.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

racerl1
07-23-2005, 05:08 PM
I've had ultrasounds at least every 4 weeks, and sometimes more often, since 7 wks. My baby has been head down in every one of them.

signsing
08-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I am 28 weeks with mysecond child. I'm on bedrest this time due to preterm labor. I get ultrasounds regularly to check my cervix, its too short right now (less than 2cm which is why I'm resting). We do internal ultrasounds since the baby is head down. I was told that at this point they are common to be head down, if they don't get in position now while they can move around they can be breech later on when they have less room in there.
I have a history of preterm labor at 34 weeks with my first so I'm high risk this time. I get contractions which is causing my cervix to thin but since Im on bedrest now its slowed considerably.

My advice, take it easy, ask lots of questions, and stay cool and hydrated. Follow your instincts if you have an Uh Oh feeling call the doctor.

Good luck!
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003