PDA

View Full Version : Removing Underwire from Nursing Bras?

Kendra
08-15-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm currently pregnant, expecting in November. I bought 3 nursing bras to wear as maternity bras (something I think Baby Bargains should recommend in their book - rather than spending $ on separate maternity bras). Two of the bras are underwire. I know that U/W can cause clogged ducts once I start nursing (assuming these bras will even fit then) so I wonder if it's a big deal to just pull the underwires out of the bras and wear them that way when the time comes. (Actually, one cup's U/W already came out in the laundry, so I didn't bother to try to work it back in yet until I got some feedback.)

Opinions?

Thanks!

stcelia
08-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Depending on the style and cup size, I suppose it could work, but I'm doubtful. I say try wearing the one that's already missing the UW, and see what you think. I've noticed that the band on soft cups tends to be wider and constructed differently than in uw bras. Good luck!

Momof3Labs
08-16-2005, 04:24 PM
The reason that they probably don't mention it is that nursing bras can be quite expensive, and you often are not the same size while nursing that you are while pregnant.

That said, you can try wearing them without the underwire, but I wouldn't expect much support. Non-underwire bras are constructed differently, as the PP mentioned, to provide support without the wire.

SashaBear
08-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I would say that it is highly unlikely that the bras will fit come that time. You will probably go up another cup size after baby is born. Your band size will go up during pregnancy and back down after a few weeks postpartum.

And like the others said, they probably won't be as supportive without the underwire.

Kendra
08-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for all the feedback - it seems like such a "waste" to buy so many bras that will only fit for such a short time. I've been wearing these three for a few months, but I know I'll have to buy different ones soon - why is it everyone is giving me baby clothes out the wazoo, but no one's throwing used bras at me? :)

jhrabosk
08-18-2005, 09:05 AM
This probably won't be helpful to you now, but maybe it'll help someone else who's earlier along...

I bought 2 really good bras ($50-60 Wacoals) as soon as I started outgrowing my pre-pregnancy stuff. I went to a specialty store where they measured me and made some recommendations...I think we went up one band and one cup size. Then they gave me an extender for each bra. I'm now hooking both extenders together, but I've made it through the bulk of the pregnancy! They're getting a little tired, but I figure I can squeeze a little bit more wear out of them later, as I'm losing baby weight.

Now that I'm nearing the end of the 7th month, I'm planning to go shopping for some nursing bras to wear through the end.

As others have said, it's probably not a great idea to take the wires out...as frustrating as it is, you won't get the same kind of support.

Good luck!
Jessica

fox3long
08-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm due 1 Nov and bought 2 underwire nursing bras about 2 weeks ago. Before that, I was using my pre-prego bras. I am using these bras as my maternity bras since I can't fit into my pre-pregnancy bras anymore. I prefer underwire now because of the extra support. I didn't have to increase my bandsize (and probably won't need to). I did have to go up 3 cup sizes. So help me if I go up any more cup sizes. I know many women have had problems with clogged ducts and underwire bras, but you may be different. So you may want to wait and see before you start buying more bras. I am going to wait and see. I will buy 2 more bras after the baby is born... if the underwire bothers me then, I will buy 3 non-underwire.

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Heck, I stopped bf'ing almost 1.5 years ago and I still have a nice black nursing bra in my current rotation. There's no reason you can't keep on wearing them beyond your bf'ing career.

I tried removing the underwire from 2 of my bras (like you the uw had already partially or completely come out already). They weren't very supportive but they were good enough- and comfy. Not super practical for bf'ing though since you can't access the feeding source as easily. It just didn't pull over the breast very well. Ok for use around the house where being at all discreet didn't matter. :)

Beth

MariFP
09-02-2005, 09:24 PM
I just wanted to add that I did remove the u/w from my nursing bras and I loved it. Much more comfortable. I tried on one of my cheap Motherhood first :P

stanathan
09-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Same here. I just weaned my 20-month old (due to my nipples being very very sensitive since I am expecting No. 2 in May).
Anyway, I almost exclusively used underwire nursing bras with the wires removed b/c I liked the style better than soft bras (I used few soft bras at night). All my bras are and have always been underwire. I didn't notice a big difference in support -- they worked just fine. Regarding the size -- my ban size increased slightly, but I went from cup B (pre-preggo), to cup C (preggo), to cup D (early months of nursing), back to C (around 6-months of nursing), to C in regular bras when I was nursing only am and pm (around 15-month). Still wear C.
Hope this helps.

wagner36
09-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Most of my nursing bras were underwire - I think I had one non-underwire sleep-type bra that I would while around the house in the beginning while my supply was being regulated, but after that I never avoided underwire and never had a lot of plugged ducts.

The $2 bra extenders were all I used during pregnancy - those were genius!