PDA

View Full Version : Most comfortable pants for pregnancy??? Any ideas?

ShellBelle
08-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm 12 weeks now and my pants are killing me - the waistband is digging in - just not a good situation... I'm not just looking for cheap - I'm looking for comfy, great value for the money and super-easy to maintain pants. If you had a favorite pair of "I lived in these" pants, would you let me know? Please!!! This momma-to-be needs help!

Shelley

kristine_elen
08-16-2005, 01:32 PM
I hate to say this b/c I absolutely hate Wal-Mart, but I was desperate for mat. clothes and looked there. I got a great pair of khaki capris that I wore constantly.

jhrabosk
08-16-2005, 01:54 PM
I know that a lot of people don't love Motherhood Maternity and their stuff is defintely on the lower end quality-wise, but I found it pretty inexpensive and it has held up better than I anticipated.

Somewhere around the end of 1st trimester, I bought a few pairs of elastic/drawstring linen pants, a pair of elastic waist cargo pants, and a pair of lightweight capri "sweatpants". I'd say that each pair was around $20 or less. I wash them after every wear and the only problem I've encountered is that the elastic detached in one pair a few weeks ago. I probably could've opened them up with a seam ripper and repaired it, but the drawstring does well enough. They've been fabulous all summer long...very comfy and easy.

Also, if you want jeans but don't want to spend a fortune, I like the pair I bought at Old Navy. They were about $30.

Alas, at 30 weeks, I'm on the verge of outgrowing everything, but I'm trying to hold on a little bit longer so that I can buy a few fall things to get me through to the end!

Good luck!
Jessica

Emmas Mom
08-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Ok, I'm in that transitional phase too & absolutely refuse to buy expensive transitional clothes. So, here's another Wal-Mart cheapy for you....I found a pair of khaki capris a couple weeks ago for something like $8.54?? $8.84?? I love them though! They are really comfy, totally soft, elastic waistband...great for this stage. I'm not sure I'll be able to wear them post-pregnancy...at least not long term I hope, but they are great for now. I can't remember the brand, probably whatever Wal-Mart calls their brand but they were in the ladies section & had several different colors. HTH.

ETA: With my first pregnancy I bought a couple elastic waist cotton knit pants from LL Bean & Lands End, most just a size bigger than what I typically wear & I still have those...with those brands you can't go wrong.

s7714
08-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Are you looking for casual, or something nice for work, etc.?

My favorite pair ended up being a drawstring waisted pair of althetic pants from Target (the kind with the white strip running down the leg). They were NOT maternity pants either! They are a cotton/polyester mix, and are cool to wear even in warmer temps. I've only seen 100% cotton versions there lately though, but they could still be comfortable. I also had a couple of pajama bottoms that I lived in when I was around the house because they were so comfy.

You might also check Motherhood for some basic knit pants. They usually run pretty cheap, and knit pants are comfy and easy to take care of. I had a couple colors of their boot cut knit paints for my last pregnancy and they were one of my staples.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

Momof3Labs
08-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Last pg, I was able to wear two pairs of elastic waist, drawstring pants (one khaki and one denim) as easily at the beginning of my pregnancy as I was at the end. So I highly recommend that style.

This time, I have a pair of Hanna Andersson stretchy yoga pants that work great for the office. They were on clearance (and no longer available) but other places carry similar stretchy yoga pants (I have some cheapies from Old Navy).

The bonus is that anything like this will also be useful AFTER pregnancy too!

marcywench
08-16-2005, 04:50 PM
I've been wearing some capri pants I got from JC Penney when they were on sale and had a 20% off promotion online.

Otherwise, I'm all about my Old Navy yoga pants (not maternity, just comfy)

I've been pleased with everything I bought in the Target maternity section...

mainepotato
08-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Early on I wore the Old Navy yoga pants (not maternity). I'm looking forward to wearing them again post partum.

During the summer I wore Gap's Safari capris a lot. They slid down, but not as often as all my other pants did! (That was so annoying.)

Now I'm 32wks and I just got the Maternity Flat Front Cotton/Lycra Pants from Lands End for fall.. Wow, I wish I could go back and buy practically all my maternity clothes from LE! I can't really justify much more since I only have 8wks left, but they're all I want to wear. They have the elastic/drawstring waist. You can tighten the drawstring over the belly so they won't fall down, or sometimes I fold the top down and wear it under the belly.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,1467,2_17273_17277_40249_130724_109171_,00.html? sid=8263114224102156660&CM_MERCH=PAGE_40249

csa12
08-16-2005, 10:17 PM
They are a little pricey but I love the roll panel style of pants from Gap maternity. You can wear them at any stage and they won't show through whatever you are wearing for a top (which annoys me with other pants). They are a few pairs of their black basic yoga pants on sale right now for $29.99. They are ultra comfy too.

HTH,
CHeryl

lilylilac
08-17-2005, 12:29 AM
I absolutely LOVE Babystyle's signature stretch pants. They're great! I love the underbelly style - the over-the-belly style pants started to hurt and make me cranky around month 5. Another plus is that they are lightweight and have an adjustable waistband.

ShellBelle
08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Y'all are so incredibly awesome. This is unbelievably helpful... I'm inspired to start researching these various options now!!!

Point of clarification - I do work, so I need both dressy pants for work and bum around pants for buzzing in town and visiting friends. If you think of any other favorite pants, I'm still listening!

Many, many thanks,
Shelley

jgriffin
08-17-2005, 09:53 AM
I found Gap and Old Navy pants to be good quality and comfy. Their return policy is awesome, so early in my pregnancy I bought a bunch of sale stuff online to wear later on. Some of it didn't always fit (Old Navy tended to run narrow) but it was easy to return.

I also bought a pair of yoga pants at Target (in a larger size, not maternity) that are super comfy (esp. now after DS has arrived). They are black stretchy cotton, so if you wore a nice blouse with them you might get away with wearing them to work.

Jen

netne
08-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I got a few pairs of linen drawstring pants and Target and have loved those. They aren't maternity but it's a real drawstring (no buttons or other clasps) so they're expandable. I just bought them a size bigger than I would usually wear. I don't know if they still have them since they're putting out fall clothes now, but worth a look.

I also have loved the style of maternity pants alot of places have now with a "normal" front closure and elastic at the back and or sides. I found the traditional maternity panels uncomfortable (too much material around my belly for summer time). My favorite pair of maternity pants are some white ones from Old Navy with the "normal" front closure that you can roll up into capris.

Rachels
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
My favorite pants ever are from Japanese Weekend. You can often find them NWT on ebay, and they're quite affordable there. They're as comfortable as regular pants, I think, and they don't look ridiculous, either.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

calebsmama03
08-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Ditto the ON stretchy yoga pants! LOVED them this time :) I also loved my babystyle drawstring knit pants. They were pricey but sometimes they'll clearance out last season's colors for under $20. For jeans, I desperately wanted the Gap rollpanel jeans but the initial release sold out the minute they hit the website and didn't get more instock till I was too far along to justify the price :( I ended up with ON jeans, under the belly style that had no panel and were great throughout pg and for the first few weeks PP.
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

twodogs
08-18-2005, 05:47 AM
For work, I only wore Noppies. They are pretty pricey and can only be found at small independent Maternity shops, but well worth it. The fabric is light and thin, and they go over or under the belly. Once you try them on, you'll want several pairs!

lkarp
08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
I've been living in 2 pair of Hanna Andersson cropped pants I bought at their outlet for $5 each. They have the adjustable elastic and I've worn them since I was about 12 weeks. (I am 26 weeks now and they still fit wonderfully) . I believe the pants are now discontinued, but have noticed them on ebay. Good luck!

Leah

megamay79
08-19-2005, 12:19 PM
I like the Old Navy demi panels. Make sure that the elastic part goes all the way around, and they lasted me until - well I still fit in them and I am almost 7 months - although I did just add a pair of roll panel Gap ones that I got with a coupon (couldnt justify $60 for them). the Old Navy ones are under-belly, so I feel like I pull them up a lot, but I love that they fit from the beginning straight through to 7 months anyway. And I expect that they will fit afterward for a while too, since I used to wear my jeans really tight so I had to start wearing these pants at like 6 weeks.

I only wear jeans though, so I cant really comment on dressier styles.

Meg

tweetykl
08-19-2005, 03:18 PM
I got some last spring at JC Penny's. They are capris with a drawstring in them. They have been the most comfortable. I did not fully show until after 28+ weeks but was bloated. I was able to wear them before I realloy needed them and I am now 38 weeks. I have also packed them for the hospital for post partum pants because I can pull the drawstring in. I think I paid $20 bucks for them.

jesseandgrace
08-20-2005, 07:12 PM
The Gap has an incredibly cute style that I think is new. It is a roll panel, so you can fold it over the top of the pants early on, scrunch it, or whatever. They really work for before you need maternity, and look really cool - not too baggy, and supposedly they work for the whole 9 months.

winnypooh
08-20-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm all for Target! Their In Due Time line, as well as their Liz Lange stuff are great. Try stuff on, pre pregnancy I was about a 14, in the Liz Lange, it depends on the pants, I'm between a 12 and a 16, depending on which cut. In my experience, what fits better on are the pants with the softer material off the rack. (I don't know why, if I try on stiffer fabric pants, they NEVER sit right on me!)

JC Penneys near me also has a good Maternity section, worth checking out if you have one near you. I got a super cute top set from them.

Old Navy has some nice pieces, you sorta need to pick and choose. If you find something you really like, get it! Also, if you figure out what size you are in store, I find that their online store is pretty true to size, and their online store carries more variety than my local Old Navy.

I haven't had much luck at WalMart, but I did get one tank top I LOVE.

Mervyns carries Holly Robinson Peete maternity, the one near me has hardly anything! I can't even believe they call it a Maternity Department, but a few of the items are really unique, and worth it.

Pants were hardest for me, and I ended up just finding things along the way. So far, I'm okay, but I'm dreading when I get past the 3o+ week mark, that some of these pants won't fit.

Good luck, I'm trying to use SOME self control, thank goodness a friend of mine I just emailed last week was trying to get rid of her maternity stuff, so I got a few total SCORES from her!

-Wendy

daisymommy
08-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Just an FYI...I found some yoga pants at Target yesterday in the regular clothing section (not excercise section)--by ProSpirit that have the fold up/down belly band just like many maternity pants/GAP jeans have on them. I bought a black and a grey pair ($16 each), and Old Navy has some too (bought dusk blue). They are very stretchy in the belly, but don't fall down even now without a belly. I think they'll be super comfy!

ShellBelle
08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Y'all have been amazingly helpful! I can't thank you enough for this input.

I love this message board!!!

Momof3Labs
08-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh, I just realized that we are due date buddies! I hope that you stick around and join in on all the other fun discussions!

ShellBelle
08-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Lori! Congrats to you :)

I do hope to get more involved with the various discussions - it's just hard to know where to jump in!!! :)

bunnisa
08-25-2005, 04:21 PM
I'll have to check out Walmart. I too am outgrowing my regular clothes (I'm 13 wks), and I have NO summer maternity clothes. And it's still hitting 100 degrees here, and will be hot through November. All of my maternity clothes are for a business environment in the cold north.

I wish I could do the old "hair elastic around the button" trick, but only a couple of my skirts have buttons like that.

Edited to add: Duh! I never answered your question. My answer is that I bought a pair of stretchy black dress pants at Motherhood. They were maternity but had a regular-looking waist, and were suitable for work (dressier). They looked just like any pair of pants with a button and fly. Anyway, I wore them for 7 months of my pregnancy. Towards the end I think I wore them 2 or 3 days a week!

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres