PDA

View Full Version : I'm feeling frumpy and fat :( Need trasnsitional clothes for warm weather

daisymommy
08-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Help me ladies! I know this may sound shallow considering the fact that we tried for 2 years to get pregnant, and now I am finally expecting a beautiful baby. But this time around, my belly has popped so quickly it's crazy! Already I cannot even zip up any of my shorts! True, I'm not big enough most people would ever notice, and no way can I wear actually maternity clothes yet, but none of my regular bottoms fit at all, and my tee shirts are already too tight over my ample boosums :)

I pulled out my boxes of maternity clothes, and started crying when I saw how HUGE eveything is. Was I really that big at one point? ACK! What have I gotten myself into? Now I'm scared! ;)

So, what do I wear now? Everything I've ever seen for transitional pieces are for cooler weather, suach as Yoga pants, stretch pants, GAP jeans with the belly band. But what do you do when it's still 90 degrees in the summer, and when you give birth it will be 80 degrees (in April here in VA). I need to go shopping fast, as nothing fits and it's making me feel fat, frumpy, and depressed :( Not to mention the fact that that my underwear is leaving a horrible red mark across my belly! Help!

Momof3Labs
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Amy, you have the same problem that I have - we were HUGELY pregnant over the summer in 2002, and now need teeny-tiny preggo belly clothes!

I found some shorts at www.landsend.com on their overstocks page that are worth a look for you. But IMO their maternity bottoms run VERY large, even if you go by the measurements in the size chart. So, consider ordering a size smaller. The underbelly shorts are not something I would normally consider, but are quite comfy with a little belly, I've found!

netne
08-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I agree with the underbelly shorts for early pregnancy in the summer. How about a couple maternity tanktops? Alot of places have some more form-fitting tanks/camis that don't scream maternity, but would give you a little more room. I also really loved the drawstring linen pants at Target (not maternity, but very comfy). I got several pairs of them. I would check out Old Navy too. They have some cute summer maternity clothes, and I bet they have summer stuff on sale now. They have some pants that have adjustable waist bands, so they still look like "normal" pants but can grow and accomodate you as you grow.

daisymommy
08-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions gals! Lands end was out of my size in the under-belly style :( But I was able to find a ton of cute stuff from OldNavy.com (during the brief 2 hrs. the site was back up!) and Motherhood.com. Everything summery is on sale!

I wish I could've tried it all on in the store, but thankfully I had called places before schlepping out there and was told all the shorts are gone--eeks! So I ordered a ton of variety that I could try on at home (without a crazy preschooler running around in the dressing room ;))--and then I can just send back what I don't like. Old Navy does FREE returns too, so that's great!

I ended up buying shorts and capri pants (for in another month or so). I'm hoping that with the under-belly shorts (which the site said are great for transition before belly/after baby)--I can wear my regular tee-shirts and not have to do the maternity shirts too for awhile. Maybe by then I'll be calmed down enough to suck it up and wear them, LOL. The crazy preggo hormones are going and I'm not dealing with my "evolving" body image very well this time around.

Thanks for listening!

newbelly2002
08-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Actually, the under belly stuff was the ONLY thing I could wear for the duration of my first pregnancy. Anything across the belly was like nails on a chalkboard for me. So don't discount it as only before and after wear. Where are you finding under the belly stuff, especially for fall and winter?

I'm now in the same boat at y'all (down to hugely preganant in the hot VA summer of 2002!) only the weather here is much cooler. So far I haven't found a single pair of underbelly stuff no matter where I've looked. As that's the only thing I could wear last time, I'm really scared. Right now, I'm living in yoga pants but let's just say I stand out in fashion concious Berlin. Ack!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02
And 2 sweet peas in an April pod

Momof3Labs
08-31-2005, 02:52 PM
IL was pretty hot that summer, too, lol!

I found quite a bit of underbelly stuff at www.landsend.com, including some pants on overstock that are custom hemmed (a bonus for vertically challenged me). Haven't tried any other brands, but so far this style seems to have a lot of potential.

I don't see wearing it with regular t-shirts, though Amy, unless your regular t-shirts are long. Mine are mostly hip-length and do not cover the underbelly part!

Now if only my search for transitional underwear would be so successful. I'm not a bikini gal but hardly ready for the massive granny pants that fit in my final days of pregnancy!

daisymommy
09-02-2005, 09:55 AM
I found all my underbelly stuff at Old Navy.com and Motherhood.com There are lots to choose from! I am cringing thinking that I won't be able to wear my regular tee-shirts with them right now. I so don't want to spend another $100 bucks on short sleeved tees only to have the weather cool off in another month.
As far as underwear goes, all mine is digging in pretty bad too. I just ordered some bikini pairs from oldnavy and motherhood to try out. I'm like you Lori, normally I don't like bikins and wear high cuts, but I just can't do it with this belly! And I pulled out the granny panties--while they were super comfy, I couldn't even look in the mirror :)

Here's hoping my clothes arrive soon! I'm running out of sweat-shorts to wear!

daisymommy
09-02-2005, 05:04 PM
UPDATE:
My boxes arrive today, and I was very pleased with the khaki cargo shorts and denim shorts from Motherhood Maternity. They are underbelly style, but right now I don't have quite enough belly to go under them. So, they fit great mid-tummy. Perfect transitional shorts! I paid $14 each for them.

Unfortunately, I found everything from Old Navy to run too big right now. Maybe in 2 months, but right now they just fall off my hips.

I LOVED the bikini underwear from both Old Navy and Motherhood.com equally. Both barnds fit exactly the same. They feel soooo much better than my regular undies. Pure comfort...ahh! I just ordered several more packs.

Rachels
09-09-2005, 07:49 PM
The other thing to consider is a bella band. It's a GREAT new thing that has come down the pike since the last time we were pregnant. It will hold up too-big maternity pants or unzipped too-small regular pants, and it's comfortable to wear. You can do a search online-- they're about $30 and well worth it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

houseof3boys
09-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Amy I have tons of stuff that I just have been too lazy to list. I ended up buying more this go around too since I wasn't working anymore and my belly popped fast too! I have mostly smalls, size 8's with drawstrings and some mediums if that might work for you. Email me if you want to chat about it.

daisymommy
09-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Debbie, you are too sweet...But I haven't worn a size 8 since I was a teenager :) I wish!

Rachel, I had seen the Bella Band, but had never heard a review on it, so wasn't sure how comfy it would be. I may have to try one out! Thanks!

I am also amazed at fast my belly is growing with this pregnancy (no twins in our family that I know of! ;)). The shorts that were too large last week nearly fit now! I have only gained 2-3 lbs. since I became preggo, but everything is just shifting around I guess.

I am feeling so much better having a few pairs of good fitting shorts and undies, and I am still wearing my regular loose fitting tee-shirts since the shorts aren't quite under my belly yet.

Thanks for listening and your help!