PDA

View Full Version : Which maternity bras to try?

daisymommy
09-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Well, my cup already spill-ith over :) I'm positive I have outgrown both the cup and band size on my bras already. The underwire is cutting in to the sides of my breasts (ouch!) which is leading me to walk around without a bra on while I'm at home--pure comfort for awhile, until the added weight starts to hurt from them not being supported.

So, are there actual maternity bras out there that are not nursing bras? Or do I just buy a larger size non-underwire bra for now? I didn't have to wear anything bigger when I was preggo with Joshua until my 3rd trimester (when I just bought some Playtex nursing bras)--so this early on need is new to me. I'd like something that can grow with me a little so I am not re-buying all new bras every few months.

Any suggestions? Oh yes! One more question--what about maternity sleep bras too? I am waking up in major pain at night!

Edited to add: I need a D cup size bra now, so it can't be too flimsy :)

calebsmama03
09-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I also needed bigger bras sooner this time! There are "maternity" bras out there but I wouldn't bother. If you're planning to nurse at all just get the nursing bras since chances are you'll go through several sizes post partum before your breasts and ribs settle into your "normal" nursing bra size. If not, I'd just buy regular bras that fit well. IME, "maternity bras" are really overpriced, ugly, and don't support or fit any better than regular bras. My cup size stabilized early on and was the same till the very end, so another idea to save $$ is to get the cup/band you need now and use a bra extender should your ribs expand more than the band size allows for.

I just wore slightly larger regular bras until well past 30 weeks, then switched to nursing bras (but I had the larger size I needed in my drawer anyway from C). At 32-ish weeks I got a Spanx bra - now, this is a love it or hate it thing and I'm on the "love" side ;) DOn't know what cup size they go to though??
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

cynsteele
09-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I just went bra shopping yesterday. Unfortunately, I needed a bigger cup size. I was already a DD so this was really annoying.

I just bought regular bras, with underwire since I cannot imagine not wearing it for support. Nothing marked "maternity" or anything, just went to a department store to find some that fit well and support me.

Cynthia

julierobin
09-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I had great success with a SPANX bra. I think a few others on this board tried and liked them too. www.spanx.com. Other places sell SPANX too, so you might want to check around for better deal or coupon code. When I bought mine I had a 50% off code. That code has since expired.

It is a soft bra, but firm enough for some support. I am an underwire bra person and thought I would not like the SPANX but I did like it -- LOVED it. It is very comfortable. I wore it at night too. I was a very large C / small D during most of my pregnancy. fell to a b now! Have not been a B cup since HS!!! :-)

Julie with two kids Ben 8/7/03 and Maggie 1/15/05

daisymommy
09-14-2005, 07:31 AM
Ooh--the Spanx bra looks very comfy :) I'll have to try to find a coupon code for it. Thanks for the rec.!

Rachels
09-15-2005, 07:06 PM
I just got mine this week, and they're DEFINITELY comfy! If you find a code, post it-- I'd order a few more.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!