PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant women - how do you put socks and shoes on?

jennifer_r
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
I can't bend over to put socks or shoes on or at least it's a struggle - last year I was due in Aug. so I wore slip-ons but this time, the weather is starting to get cool and I have another 5 weeks left. I'm going to need socks at the least! So what do you all do? Am I the only one w/this problem or should I just really struggle to put socks & shoes on?

I'm relatively small considering I'm 35 weeks (I've only gained about 17 pounds thus far). I guess I just don't have the flexibility I used to have.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
And another DD arriving end of October!

jennifer_r
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
I can't bend over to put socks or shoes on or at least it's a struggle - last year I was due in Aug. so I wore slip-ons but this time, the weather is starting to get cool and I have another 5 weeks left. I'm going to need socks at the least! So what do you all do? Am I the only one w/this problem or should I just really struggle to put socks & shoes on?

I'm relatively small considering I'm 35 weeks (I've only gained about 17 pounds thus far). I guess I just don't have the flexibility I used to have.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
And another DD arriving end of October!

ellies mom
09-27-2005, 06:28 PM
I got a longer shoe horn to put on shoes just struggled to put on socs. I wore my slip-ons into early November.

amp
09-28-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't! Seriously though, last time I had a baby, he was born in May, so I just had to get thru the winter during a slightly larger time, but at my largest, I was able to wear slips ons, like you did. This time, I've been wearing slip ons all the time, but dont' know what I will do when I have to wear actual socks and shoes. Yikes! Good question!

melbb
09-28-2005, 12:20 PM
I sit down and hold my leg/foot up on my knee to put socks and shoes on. My shoelaces end up getting tied a little crooked, but other than that, it is pretty easy so far.

entttc
09-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I just sort of struggle with the socks. I don't have any shoes that require my hands- do you mean buckles or ties?

jhrabosk
09-28-2005, 01:44 PM
LOL! I was just discussing this yesterday with a coworker who has some metal in her back and has similar difficuly bending at the waist. I was actually talking about how I'm having some difficulty drying my legs when I get out of the shower...

I usually sit in a chair and put my foot on the opposite knee to put the sock on. Then I shove my foot into the shoe on the floor. Finally, I hoist my foot up onto the footboard of my bed (I find that's the best height as opposed to a chair or the bathroom sink) to tie. If I tilt my knee out to the side a little, there's room for the belly and I can reach my foot.

That said, I'm looking forward to my fall slip on shoes, even though it won't alleviate the sock issue!

Good luck!

SarahK
09-28-2005, 02:24 PM
My daughter was born in Dec of 2003 and the only shoes that fit me at the end (I had pre-eclampsia and PIH) were backless slip-on shoes...so I was wearing those in the middle of winter. Right now (at 21 weeks) I can still reach my feet.

MomtoOLT
09-30-2005, 03:14 PM
With my 1st, I ended up with pre-eclampsia and gained 30 pounds of water weight in one month.

Needless to say, even before that I was swollen. I ended up only being able wear birkenstocks. I had the sandles and just wore heavy socks with them and bought a pair of wide, size 11 shoes that were slip ons, no back, to squeeze my feet into, also.

Maybe look into investing some $$ into a nice pair of shearling UGG clogs/slipons or birkies?

soontobemommy
10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
I agree with previous poster - get some clogs or slip ons. I am almost 33 weeks and it's getting chilly here in CO and I can't put on shoes/socks either. I got some Ugg shearling clogs and love them. However if it snows I am in trouble - LOL! I also got some Ugg boots but have a heck of a time getting those on and off but I just get my husband to help if I will need to however on weekdays am on my own. I guess I will do socks (also hard to get on though) with the clogs if I have to. I figure only 6 more weeks and pray it doesn't snow!

Good luck - those clogs ARE warm though!
Lauren

jbowman
10-07-2005, 08:00 PM
During my first pregnancy, I never had a problem putting on shoes and socks. So far, so good with this pregnancy as well. That said, I live in the South, so I can (and do) wear sandals almost everyday!