PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing nursing bra!

MommyAllison
09-29-2005, 12:35 PM
I've got about 4.5 weeks to go and need to figure out what nursing bras to buy. I'm planning on going somewhere to be fitted and then ordering online, as the only thing near me is Motherhood (which I haven't ventured into - bought maternity clothes at Old Navy and got hand me downs :) ).

Right now I'm wearing a 36C (pre-pregnancy a 36B), and I'd like to have 1-2 nursing bras and a couple of nursing tank tops as well. (DH is very wary of NIP and so the more discreet, the better!) I have always worn underwire, but I know that doesn't work for nursing - just to give you an idea of the support I'm used to. I also prefer wearing a bra at night (soft sports bra type, though less constricting than a sports bra) - so a nighttime bra suggestion would be great! I am hoping to nurse for a year. A friend is buying me a nursing bra she loves but I don't remember what brand it is - all I know is it's super expensive and mail order :) got to love friends like that! Any recommendations of brands to try, and places to order, would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Allison
EDD 10-30-05 It's a girl!
http://lilypie.com/days/051030/0/25/1/-8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Crisyn
09-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Just wanted to throw my two cents in....
I ordered several nursing bras while I was still pregnant. I have been nursing for four weeks so far and am happy with the following:
1. Spanx Bra - not a nursing bra, but soft and great for sleeping in. You can just pull down the cup for nursing.
2. Elle Macpherson Nursing Bra - lots of support and very pretty!
3. Anita Nursing Bras - great non-underwire bra, with plenty of support
4. Glamourmum Tank BRAS - not the simple tank, but the "bra-tank" - good support, comfy and discreet.

I also bought some cheaper ones at Walmart (Playtex, Warners) and I never wear any of them - I should have saved my money and bought another of the more expensive ones.

Try Figleaves.com for free shipping and returns (even to Canada).

phirey
09-29-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm an underwire chick, too. I wear a 34D-DD prepregnancy and go up to a 36F-G while nursing. Needless to say, the girls need some help staying up!

I ordered my nursing bras for DD#1 very late in my pregnancy from Sierrablue.com. I completely disagree with most here that underwires are out. I had one Leading Lady underwire and two Warners underwires that I LIVED in. I had a Bravado that I hated becasue I couldn't stand the uniboob look or the way it felt.

I also ordered two Spanx bras from the latest 50% off code and seriously regret it. It itches and gives nowhere near the support of the underwires I'm used to. In fact, one is unopened and the other has been worn once. Anybody want them?

HTH

JTsMom
09-30-2005, 10:57 AM
I have yet to find a bra that is comfortable and attractive. I used to wear underwires too, but I didn't want to chance it while nursing. Believe me, nothing without the wire is going to give you the same look. I would recommend trying a Bravado for night at least. I wear them during the day, but the uni-boob thing is true, unfortunately. They are pretty comfy though, and easy to undo.

If you have any specialty lingerie shops, sometimes they have nursing bras. I ended up finding mine at a specialty baby store- those are worth a try too.

Another place to consider is Mimi Maternity. They had some without wires that give decent support, and aren't quite as hideous.

Puddy73
09-30-2005, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't buy very many bras right now, because it is hard to estimate how big you will be when you are nursing. I recommend starting out with two adjustable bras, and then measuring yourself again after the engorgement phase has passed. www.birthandbaby.com has a good selection of nursing bras and lots of information on how to pick the right bra. HTH!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." - Woodrow Wilson

Jenny0116
10-04-2005, 12:53 PM
I am still pg, but I got my bras from breastchester.com and the selection is sooo much better than figleaves.com and birthandbaby.com. I couldn't find nice, comfortable maternity bras and was reccomended to this site. She really knows what she is talking about and is sooo nice. I felt like she cared about what I wanted and needed. She has every size imaginable too, my friend is an H cup and got a really pretty bra there! She has free shipping too. She also has great fashionable nursing clothing, not frumpy nursing clothing. I even got some tops and a dress to wear now and after the baby is born.
Good luck!
Jen

new_mommy25
10-04-2005, 06:17 PM
I got fitted for nursing bras about 2-3 weeks before I was due. I was lucky because the woman who helped me had nursed both her kids and she was very helpful. This was at Nordstroms. I was a 32C pre-pregnancy and I got fitted for a 36DD. That was the perfect size for me and I never had any issues with them being too small. I'm an underwire gal myself and I can't step out of the house without one on. I wore Wacoal http://tinyurl.com/ca7nq and LeMystere bras http://tinyurl.com/b33p4 and loved both of them. The Wacoal bras come in nude, seamless and have an easier clasp, but the LeMystere bras were prettier and they come in black lace. For the next baby I'd like to try some of the Elle Mcpherson bras. They weren't out when my first son was born. When my son was about 8 months I went down to a 34DD and by 13 months I was a 34D. I would invest in some good quality supportive bras since you'll be wearing them for quite a while. I had some cheaper bras from Anita and Motherhood but they never fit as well and I wouldn't go out of the house with them on.

For sleep this time around I'm just going to go with the Glamourmom tanks. I didn't discover them until my son was over a year but I love them! I have several and wear them almost everyday. I noticed that they also have a Glamourmom dress that looks really comfy. I think it'll be nice in the early days when you have people coming over and want to look semi decent. I saw it in a store and really liked the looks of it.

Otherwise, with DS #1, for nighttime I liked the Medela comfort line bra http://tinyurl.com/dvyyx and the Motherhood wrap bra http://tinyurl.com/cpv3y

eta: Just wanted to say that I have been nursing my son for over two years and never had a single issue with underwire. You should be fine as long as the fit is proper.