PDA

View Full Version : PJs for hospital and nursing bras

khalloc
10-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I am due with my first baby in 5 weeks. I need to get some sort of PJs for the hospital stay. What do you recommend? I'm assuming it will have to be a nightdown so that the doctors/nurses have easy-access to "down there" after the delivery. Is that right? Do they need to check how things are healing down there after the baby is born? What do you wear while actually giving birth? Just a regular hospital gown? To be honest I would prefer to get a top/pants PJ set because I would wear it at home too. I am not a fan of nightgowns. But I will buy one for the hospital if I need it.

Also, nursing bras - Whats the best kind? I was a 36B pre-pregnancy. I am wearing a 36D now. I could probably use a 38D now though. I would like something seamless. I hate bras with seams that you can see thru your shirt.

Thanks for any input!!

amp
10-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Well, I had a CS, so my experience might not be the same as what you'll find.

I wore just the gown for the first couple of days. For the 1st 24 hrs I was not able to get up at all, and in fact had a catheter in, so I couldn't have gotten dressed in anything else. After that, it was simply not worth it to me, with all the blood and everything. I was REALLY ready to get dressed the last day of my stay there, so I just put on stretchy knit pants. I still plan to bring some pj's, but don't know if I'll get to wear them. I would not have spent money on a gown I wouldn't wear any other time. but that's just me.

nfowife
10-06-2005, 02:40 PM
I had bought a nursing gown/robe set from ebay (new) for the hospital. I'm glad I bought it on ebay because I never wore it! I was in the hospital for a little more than 48 hours, and upon arrival, put on the hospital gown which I wore through DD's delivery. Then when I could get up I changed into a fresh hospital gown (later that evening) and wore that until the next day when I showered and put on another fresh hospital gown, which I wore one more night until I went home the following day in a pair of yoga pants and T-shirt. I didn't wear a nursing bra at the hospital either, until I got dressed to go home. I would bring 1-2 nursing bras to the hospital and a set of pj's just in case you have a c-section and end up staying for a few days but for typical stay you probably won't need the pj's and even the nursing bra until you're going home. I used the Yes! bras for the first few weeks and they were fine! But they do have the seams. Now that my supply is has stabilized I wear the anita microfiber seamless bras and I adore them (I am a 34E right now). I have one each in nude, white, and black and they are great!! I use the Yes! as my backups now.

kensjen
10-06-2005, 02:43 PM
I wore the hospital gowns most of the time I was there. It was just easier. They do come in and do some "checks" on you, and also the gowns are easy for nursing access. And I didn't want to stain anything of mine and things are really quite messy the first few days. Just think, less laundry!

I wouldn't buy a gown just for the hospital, if you aren't going to wear it at home.

As for nursing bras, everyone has their favorite brand or type. If you can, go somewhere and try a few on. I would only get one or two for now, as your size will fluctuate quite a bit in the coming weeks. That way you won't spend a bunch of money on bras you may not wear too long.

HTH!

elliput
10-06-2005, 02:45 PM
I just wore the hospital provided gowns, and had DH bring my bathrobe from home (I was sent from my OB appt to L&D three weeks early and didn't have a bag packed yet). I wasn't worried about having something "nice" for visitors.

I have a Motherhood bra that is comfortable for me (also 38D) and it has a decent price tag. Only comes in white though. http://www.motherhoodnursing.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=58212008&Category_Id=2008

HTH

kensjen
10-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Margaret, I adore the anita microfiber bras too! They are wonderful, and they are the only ones I saved from last time. I just ordered some new ones, I definitely want all colors!

babymama
10-06-2005, 03:19 PM
We ended up with an extended stay in the hospital bc my DS was admitted to the NICU for 3 days. So I was really glad that I packed a couple of lounging outfits. I would recommend something like a pair of yoga pants and a comfy tee.

For sleeping, I wore the hospital gown the first night. By the second night, I think I probably wore my own pjs (pants, not gown). I think my OB came and checked me the morning after I had the baby - so I would have had a hospital gown on. I don't remember more than one check up. I remember it being very low impact - like she just took a look at my stiches and asked me a bunch of questions. I don't remember the nurses ever checking me.

I went really low budget on nursing bras the first time around, so I don;t have much advice there.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

khalloc
10-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Are the hospital gowns backless? I dont mind wearing whatever the hospital provides I just dont want my @ss hanging out.

khalloc
10-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Ok, one more question - I desperately need a bra to last me thru these next few weeks. Should I just buy a cheaper regular bra or should I et something for nursing that I can wear after I deliver? My 36D bra is killing me right now. Ouch Ouch! I feel like ripping it off and walking around my office braless. Either that or crying. :(

elliput
10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I wore two gowns- one opening in front and one in back so I was completely covered.

jgriffin
10-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I brought a thin cotton robe and slippers with me to the hospital. For the 2 days I was there I only wore a hospital gown (including for L&D), but the robe was nice for when I walked around (it covered my backside!) Slippers were awesome, bring a pair! I brought a bra with me but didn't wear it until I went home. I wore a large t-shirt and yoga pants home.

I found it easier to be topless for nursing for the first few days, since I had no clue what I was doing and clothes just got in the way. I tried messing with a nursing top when I got home, but found it too cumbersome.

And now that I think about it, I also brought a pair of heavy woolen socks to wear in bed. Someone told me how cold she was after her son was born, and indeed, I was, too!

Jen

jhrabosk
10-07-2005, 01:32 PM
I can't answer your questions with any experience b/c I still have a few weeks to go as well, but I can tell you what I've done!

I bought a super cheap nightgown at Target (like $10) so that I have it if I want/need it, but won't be distraught if it gets ruined. I also figure that a lot of my current pjs are getting pretty old so, once I'm able to wear pj pants, I'll use those and not be too upset if they're ruined. Then I get to buy new ones! :)

As for bras...I think I have the Anita microfiber as well. I also have one Bravado, which I LOVE. If you're running out of space in your current bras, do go buy a couple nursing bras that fit. I went to the nursing specialty shop near me several weeks ago and she put me in nursing bras (I was probably 32-33 weeks). I wouldn't buy more than 2, but it's not a wasted investment...you'll grow out of them temporarily but then will be able to wear them again on your way back "down".

Good luck!
Jessica

amp
10-07-2005, 02:13 PM
If you just have a few wks to go, I'd buy a nursing bra and skip the regular bra. Even if you end up having trouble continuing to nurse, it's a better investment, IMO, than having to buy an extra nursing bra later, and you can always buy more if you need them, but I'd buy one or two now to get you thru the last weeks.

o_mom
10-07-2005, 03:29 PM
First time, I just used the hospital gowns - why make more laundry for yourself?

Second time, I wore some really big mens t-shirts that I got at Sams club (I think they were 2XL, undre $5 each, I bought two) I had thought I would wear the hospital gowns again, but didn't have time to change when we got there. I did wear a gown the first night and then went back to the comfy t-shirt.

What I didn't like with either of these was that they didn't open in the front for nursing. If there is a #3, I am going to look for something front opening, but comfy. Haven't decided what that will be, but must be cheap so I won't feel bad about tossing it if it gets ruined. Do they make a front opening t-shirt? :-)

jgriffin
10-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I've been thinking about buying some large v-neck t-shirts to wear at night for nursing. That might do the trick...it would give you some privacy, but when you want to nurse you can just pull the neck opening down and to one side.

Jen

SarahK
10-07-2005, 08:32 PM
My hospital is great and has two different gown types--one for labor and delivery (backless) and one for after delivery--full coverage with discreet nursing slits. I loved them!!

kensjen
10-07-2005, 09:15 PM
>My hospital is great and has two different gown types--one
>for labor and delivery (backless) and one for after
>delivery--full coverage with discreet nursing slits. I loved
>them!!

Our hospital had the same...I really liked the full coverage one, it was great for nursing, and no butt hanging out! :)

new_mommy25
10-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Defenitetly buy the nursing bra. The size you are now should be pretty similar to the size you will be when you are nursing. Just make sure the cups have a little extra room for when your milk comes in. I know I say this over and over again, but I highly recommend Nordstroms. I've been to Motherhood, Mimi, and JC Penneys for nursing bras and the chicks there don't know squat.

KrisM
10-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I'd buy a bra extender. It's just a set of hooks that makes the band bigger. It'll get you through and is only a couple of bucks. I bought a nursing bra at 36 weeks and couldn't wear it after delivery for about 9 months!

khalloc
10-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks. I live in Vermont though and no Nordstroms here. I have purchased from them online though.

bunnisa
10-10-2005, 10:04 AM
I wore a pair of yoga pants and a tank top with a shelf bra. It was comfy and easy to nurse in. Plus, with a shirt thrown over, I was presentable for guests.

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

wagner36
10-11-2005, 02:42 PM
I second this - they are very cheap and effective! I got one at Motherhood last time for about $2, and used it my entire pregnancy.

KrisM
10-11-2005, 08:47 PM
It took me a while to remember where I finally found one and it was at Joann's. You know, the craft store.

marcywench
10-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Yep, use an extra one as a robe!

I recommend just wearing their gowns. Best of all, if they get messy? You just give it back to them, get a new one and don't have to take dirty clothes home. The only dirty clothes I took home were what I wore to the hospital.

rebeccaravit
10-20-2005, 07:32 AM
When I packed for the hospital I filled up a duffel with 4 or 5 tshirts, 2 or 3 pj pants, socks, underwear, bras......... and never touched a thing! After I gave birth I was still in the gown from Labor and Delivery. After my shower I put on a new gown, underwear provided by the hospital (if they got stained I could just throw them away) and a bra. I wore another gown backwards to keep me warm. When my DH came back he brought me a nursing tank that I bought at Target for $12. The next day I wore a pair of his shorts, the nursing tank, and a hospital gown as a robe. When I went home I wore the same clothes that I wore on the way into the hospital. I took alot of the panties provided by the hospital and wore them at home the first week. When I got home, I stopped wearing the nursing tank b/c I was engorged and it didn't fit. I sent DH out to a Lactation Resource Center to buy me some Bravado nursing bras. I love them. Call them to speak with a consultant.... she will advise you on the size that you'll need and you can either order online or find a place that sells them near you. Their bras fit a range of sizes so you can wear it now with a few weeks to go, and they will fit you when your milk comes in and you're engorged. Hope this helps!

table4three
10-20-2005, 09:34 AM
I hated wearing hospital gowns. I felt SO much better wearing clothes. I wore the gown until DS was born (ended up a c-section). After surgery I was in the gown until the next morning. THen I changed into my own clothes. I wore my Bravado nursing bras, which I think is perfect for the first few days because it accommodates the big changes your breasts go through when your milk comes in. I still wear them to bed now (at 6 mo). I wore yoga type pants and matching zip up jacket/tops for the rest of my stay. That way I looked presentable for visitors and for walking to the NICU to see DS, they were comfortable for sleeping in and easy access for nursing. This is what I'll do next time as well. I think it worked well.

Bras:
http://www.bravadodesigns.com/category.asp?ID=7

Pants/Tops (just an example):
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/kmd2002/top.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/kmd2002/bottoms.jpg

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060325/3/15/5/-6/.png

saschalicks
10-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I brought a robe for that reason. Otherwise just wore hospital gown. My mom is crocheting a bed jacket for me this time. I wouldn't bother getting anything.