PDA

View Full Version : The Comprehensive Nursing Bra thread!

papal
12-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey mamas,
I thought we could do a thread with a list of different nursing bras. If you could add to it, that would be great.
Other useful info, size-range, how supportive, how comfy, how pricey and would you buy it again?!

Thanks!

papal
12-13-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't know if things have improved in the last year or two.. this is a review of Bravados from 2 years ago.
These were the only nursing bras I had for a long time. There is no underwire (that was the mantra I heard all the time.. don't get underwire.. don't get underwire!), it is a sports-bra styling.
Honestly, I can say I hated them. The band kept rolling and there was just not enough support (I was a 36DD). The CS at Bravado was excellent though.. they sent me a free bra when I called to complain about the rolling band issue (she said I may have got the wrong size but if the new bra had the same problem then I was one of the women whose body shape just did that to the bra).
I did like the fact that they were 100% cotton.

Anyway, unless someone tells me there is a significant change in their design, I will NOT be getting these bras this time around.

new_mommy25
12-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Let's see last pregnancy I mostly used Wacoal or Le Mystere bras. Loved them both. Loved the Wacoal a little bit more because they were seamless and had an easy clasp. The Le Mystere was so pretty and it came in black. They are about $50 a piece. Supportive for me but I was only 36DD at my largest. I think I have a very wierd chest though - I really wanted to love the cheapo Target Playtex or Motherhood bras but they never fit me right.

Around the house I wore the Motherhood Maternity cross over bras. Not supportive in the least but they were comfy, 100% cotton and kept nursing pads in place. http://tinyurl.com/cpv3y

I still have most of my bras from before. If my size is the same as last time I will probably only have to buy a few more. I really want to try the Elle Mcpherson soft cup bra. I plan to wear my Glamourmom tanks a lot too. I also plan on getting the Glamourmom dress.

Momof3Labs
12-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I also disliked the Bravados because of the curling bands. I was a 38-40D-ish over our nursing career and fell in the + sizing, but didn't find that style very supportive. The ++ style was much more supportive, but again had the rolling band problem. I also used the Medela seamless softcup bra a lot (we nursed for 19 months) and it was fine, I guess. Easy to nurse in, comfortable enough, and without underwire. But it didn't really give me the shape or support that I wanted (I'm an underwire fan when not nursing). So not right for under fitted t-shirts, but pretty much fine anywhere else. It also had odd straps - there was padding for the shoulders, but it never sat ON my shoulders, always in front of my shoulders. Do my boobs just hang too low, lol?? I had a different Medela style, too, for "extended sizes" (extended size classic softcup, perhaps??) and never really liked that one. Too grandmotherly. The Medelas held up very well over the 1.5 years.

I had a few other odd nursing bras, including a Playtex, but none of them fit that well while we were nursing nor were comfy. The Playtex was downright itchy on the nipples!

Not sure what we'll use this time. I have a few Yes! bras tucked away and figure that I'll get fitted for something better after a few weeks of nursing. Last time, I got fitted late in my pg, as recommended by many, and my size (especially band size - I carried DS high) changed too much after DS was born to feel comfy in those bras.

Piglet
12-14-2005, 11:36 AM
To preface - I am a 38C when nursing...

I had a Bravado last time and also really disliked it. I was so disappointed because everyone raved about them and I finally found one only to find that it was not very supportive (I could only buy the least supportive style because I am not so well endowed) and the rolling band was AWFUL!

This time I had a Yes! bra that was much better than the Bravado even though the design seemed so similar. No rolling band and a bit more support (still not the best though).

I also had a padded underwire bra that looked great, but was impossible to nurse in. The foam cups didn't move away well enough to nurse in comfortably and the underwire pulled away whenever I tried to nurse. In the end, I found that for the few special occasions when I needed such a bra, I could wear my non-nursing bras and just lift them up. I bought it sight unseen, so maybe if I were fitted correctly, I would have loved it, but my friend had one and had the same complaints. The only great thing about it is that is hides leaks and nursing pads well.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/breakoutbras_1874_328154

I also had a Glamourmom bra tank which was really wonderful. I wore it more in the winter than in the summer since I am a cold person and needed it to be more like an undershirt. The best thing of all wsa the lack of exposed tummy when nursing!

Finally, I had a soft-cup cotton nursing bra from a Canadian store (Thyme Maternity) that was my favourite once I regulated my size. It actually replaced my Yes as my fave. I found this store to have horrible quality, and that was confirmed when the one nursing bra in a different style that I bought from them when I was pregnant fell apart, BUT they replaced it no questions asked and the new bra was awesome. I really hope they have improved their quality now because I loved the new style! www.thymematernity.com

Piglet
12-14-2005, 11:37 AM
To preface - I am a 38C when nursing...

I had a Bravado last time and also really disliked it. I was so disappointed because everyone raved about them and I finally found one only to find that it was not very supportive (I could only buy the least supportive style because I am not so well endowed) and the rolling band was AWFUL!

This time I had a Yes! bra that was much better than the Bravado even though the design seemed so similar. No rolling band and a bit more support (still not the best though).

I also had a Leading Lady padded underwire bra that looked great, but was impossible to nurse in. The foam cups didn't move away well enough to nurse in comfortably and the underwire pulled away whenever I tried to nurse. In the end, I found that for the few special occasions when I needed such a bra, I could wear my non-nursing bras and just lift them up. I bought it sight unseen, so maybe if I were fitted correctly, I would have loved it, but my friend had one and had the same complaints. The only great thing about it is that is hides leaks and nursing pads well.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/breakoutbras_1874_328154

I also had a Glamourmom bra tank which was really wonderful. I wore it more in the winter than in the summer since I am a cold person and needed it to be more like an undershirt. The best thing of all wsa the lack of exposed tummy when nursing!

Finally, I had a soft-cup cotton nursing bra from a Canadian store (Thyme Maternity) that was my favourite once I regulated my size. It actually replaced my Yes as my fave. I found this store to have horrible quality, and that was confirmed when the one nursing bra in a different style that I bought from them when I was pregnant fell apart, BUT they replaced it no questions asked and the new bra was awesome. I really hope they have improved their quality now because I loved the new style! www.thymematernity.com

tarahsolazy
12-14-2005, 04:17 PM
I was probably a big C at my fullest, so take that into account.

I had the Medela Seamless microfiber bras, which fit well and were pretty supportive, and had an easy clasp to use. I used these for about 6 months. They did give a sort of uni-boob look, though, which was not the most attractive.

I thought Bravados and Yes were so-so, also had the rolling band issue with Bravado, not Yes.

My faves are Blue Canoe Jane Plus tops www.bluecanoe.com These are not specifically meant as nursing bras, I think. Simple organic cotton stretchy cross-over style. Not the most supportive, but enough for me. The best part is no fastenings, just push the cup aside to nurse. I will be using these exclusively whenever I have another baby.

phirey
12-15-2005, 09:37 PM
I am a 34 D-DD pre-pregnancy and a 34 G or H nursing.

My first DD, I bought a ++ Bravado and hated it -- didn't really care about the band rolling, although it did. What I hated was the uniboob. So I moved to underwire nursing bras and never looked back. I had two Olga bras and a Leading Lady that carried me through that year, with the Bravado and a motherhood cheapie as laundry day backups.

The one thing I learned is that many will measure you above the breast, under the arpit, to determine band size. Maybe I'm a freak, but I measure between 36 and 38, depending on the day. If I buy a 36 or 38 band size, the bra rides up my back and allows my boobs to sag. This time around I ignored that measurement and went with my true band measurement, under my breasts. My bras fit so much better!

By far the best bra I've found is the Medela Seamless FullFit bra. It is underwire and holds my breasts the way my non-nursing bras do. The straps are padded, the cup has a full sling and the hands-free pumping loops. They are lined with supportive stretchy t-shirt soft material and the bra does not itch! It washes well. I can easily wear this bra for 12+ hours without even thinking of taking it off. I only have one but I've ordered two more and am wondering if I need even another... It comes in sizes to fit us freakishly large girls, which is rare...

donovanmom
12-16-2005, 09:00 AM
I was never a big fan of the Bravado. I didn't think it had a enough support but maybe I just wasn't using the right one. I loved the Title Nine nursing bra. I used it for day and sleep. Hope this helps!

psophia17
12-16-2005, 01:41 PM
ETA: I was a 40G while BF DS...I'll be a 38 something this round.

This is the only really good nursing bra I had while BF DS:

http://store.yahoo.com/breakoutbras/fanfreexsupn.html

It is the Fancee Free Extra Support Nursing Bra, #94305, and at www.breakoutbras.com they sell for $28.99 or 2 for $55.00. I got two in 40G, and that's what I lived in, 24/7, until DS weaned at 10.5 months.

It is not pretty, and it only comes in white, but it did such a fantastic job holding my gigantic girls up and out of the way. The band didn't roll up, and the cups have a supportive hammock thing going on, so that a large breast won't just fall on your DC's head when you unhook the cup to feed - it has some support. The seams sometimes showed up when I wore thin clothes, but it wasn't that bad - DH is the king of pointing out VPL and he only commented on the seams once.

I will be buying more of these this time around, and hopefully get a couple of other options, as well, including the glamourmon tank (and maybe dress?).

One way or the other, I highly recommend www.breakoutbras.com - great prices, great stock, and great customer service.

kboyle
12-18-2005, 11:56 AM
I never got all that lucky in the boob department. Nursing, my largest size was a full 32B. Well....they don't make that size in nursing bras. Some online stores offer that size, but I have yet to actually see it in stock. I currently use a 34B that is huge, but since I am pretty much at home most of the time, I'm ok with it. It's a cheapo Target/Walmart bra. When I do go out I'll just use that with a sweater to hide my big bra & lumpy pads :) If I need to look normal I'll just wear my normal bra w/nursing pad and just bottle-feed due to bra inconvenience. During the summer I used my Lilypadz a lot since I wouldn't have to wear anything, but that became a PITA to nurse discreetly while holding this silicone pasty like item.

I'm also pretty petite so the target nursing tanks were too big as a whole, not just the bust part. I wanted to try a Glamourmom, but am too scared to order + pay for S&H and then it be to big and have to send it back.

I've got a few "uniboob" type of bras, but I prefer the flap as opposed to the crossover style.

Ugh, woe is me, the one with the small boobs :( DS2 doesn't seem to mind though, they feed him, keep him warm, and are his current best friends!

If anyone knows where I can find a 32A or B nursing bra, please share!

nfowife
12-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I have 4 Yes! bras, 4 glamourmom tanks, and 3 anitas. I'm a 38DD/E right now.

Yes! bras:
+ style: these are like the bravado but the band doesn't roll. These are good for the beginning when your size goes up and down a lot (and they are cheap too!). I still wear them around the house occasionally. They are kind of "thick" though so if you are a sweater (I am) they might be a little warm.
++style: bought 2 of these because I felt like I was a little large for the + style, but I found them LESS supportive so I wouldn't recommend it, and definitely a uniboob look.

Glamourmom: I have 3 of the bra style tanks (nude, white, black) and I do use them. They are quite supportive for a shelf tank and the straps make a huge difference- do NOT get the tank style if you need any support! I used the tank style as my free one through the codes and it stinks. Total waste! The straps are not supportive and keep stretching so you have to tighten them all day long (until you can't tighten them anymore and they still keep stretching....so you keep moving south....). The bra style is nice for NIP though, especially at the beginning and when it's cold so you can have a covered midsection. I like these when travelling also, they are more discrete on the airplane.

Anitas: My ALL TIME FAVE. I have 2 in the 5062 style and they are great. supportive, somewhat pretty, easy clasp, and seamless. I also have a 5075 that's not quite as supportive (a little bit thinner/stretchier but also 100% seamless) but still good. Definitely worth the $$; I use them every day!

Rachels
12-18-2005, 12:06 PM
I tried a lot of bras the first time and wound up wearing Elita Crossover bras pretty much exclusively. I always ordered from Sierrablue, but after a recent really shoddy experience, I won't order from them again. This time I'm wearing GM tanks and Japanese Weekend Hug bras. I'm a C / D cup when I'm nursing-- D in the early days and C later on.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

Suzanica
12-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Oh No!! I just ordered 4 Elita bras from sierrablue TODAY!
What happend w/your "shoddy" experience?
Suzanica

genevieve
12-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I was a 36F during my last pregnancy. I am rather petite with small shoulders. I had a terrible time with bras during my pregnancy and nursing. I even went to a bra shop to be fitted. They sold me these terrible underwire nursing bras. The underwires dug into my armpits and they were so high in the front that I couldn't wear anything with a v-neck. They also only came in white.

I don't know what to do this time. Any suggestions? I need support without such high underwires. I don't want the uniboob look either.

Genevieve

Devinsmom
12-27-2005, 07:57 PM
I am struggling with this same problem! I've had a hard time even pre-pregnancy(32DD). Right now I need a 36F, but I can't stand the high sides and high front. Even wire-free bras are too wide at the sides and irritate my armpits.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Shirley

swt2th1
01-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I *thought* my Bravados were great and comfortable (except for the rolling band issue that got worse with time), but then I tried the Blue Canoe stretch organic cotton ones and WOW. I LOVE Blue Canoe bras! I wore the Jill's Bra Top and the Jane's Bra Top and they are SO comfortable! Don't get points for being sexy though. :) I just pulled it down to nurse and had no problems.

I hated:
My cross over sleep bra from Motherhood fell apart after a few months and the nursing tanks from Target were not stretchy enough run really small.

babydogs3
01-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Can anyone tell me a website where I can by Yes nursing bras? Thanks.

Momof3Labs
01-17-2006, 09:59 PM
www.ebay.com, seller is breastfeedingisbest

sunriseiz
01-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Me too! I would appreciate ANY suggestions for decent, small nursing bras. I ended up with one leading lady bra that I wore mostly last time. It was "ok" but that's about it. Help?!

Thanks!!!

JSF111
01-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I want to add support (ha!) for the GlamourMom tanks. I really like them (I bought 2) and use them for sleeping and as a layer under sweaters (yes, BFing in winter and showing the belly is not my fave!). They fit ok, for the smaller women. I am a 34B when not nursing and not a whole lot more even when nursing (other than the first month). Mine fit fine, are comfy, and provide enough support for daytime use, but they do slide around a bit for sleeping (which was my original purpose in buying them). Still, they work and are comfy. The only other downside- I find one-handed re-clasping nearly impossible. I can unhook just fine, but lining them up... well...

I really liked (for comfort and ease) the Playtex ones last time around. They are far from attractive, though. I tried several others (a few Motherhood, one pricey one from Nordstrom, one from Target), but nothing else made me happy (darn hook and eye clasps!!!). I was just looking to find something new (my old ones are beyond nasty, but got nearly every day wear for 14 mos the first time, and nearly 7 so far and tried to get some advice here.

So far, I'd say, I might have to give a crossover style a try - I wondered if I'd feel too saggy (yes, even wee boobs can sag!), but the no-clasp sounds nice. Otherwise, I might just end up back with playtex...

Jessica
DD 2/26/03
DD 6/30/05

heather13
01-27-2006, 01:56 PM
While this is probably too late for some, I have a nursing bra from titlenine.com that is a bit more like a sports bra, but fits my small bust really well.