PDA

View Full Version : Compression stocking advice needed - late pregnancy

sophiesmom
01-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I am currently wearing Jobst thigh highs seem to be falling apart. Been wearing them every day for about 3 months, and one of the stockings is full of runs, luckily i can wear that one on the leg that doesnt have the veins (just in the right leg). The bigger I get the more my right leg is aching even w/ the stockings on, so I'm thinking I need a new pair.

My question is: I'm thinking of going to the full pantyhose style rather than thigh high (some of the veins getting higher), but don't know if I would be able to stand it, let alone be able to get them on with being so big now ! (i'm 34 weeks) Just getting the thigh highs on is enough work for me! Since the hose are so pricey, I was thinking of trying the Ames that were suggested from another post last month. I have submitted to my insurance for the last pair ($80!), but might be able to get reimbursed for another pair if I want to go ahead and try the Juzo this time (have a script for them now). Just wondering what people think about the full length hose vs. the thigh high...
Thanks! I can't wait to stop wearing these things! argh!!!!

DebbieJ
01-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I wore the full hose almost my entire pregnancy. I never tried the thigh high.

That said, I really like the full hose. I could DEFINITELY tell when I didn't wear them. I'd say if your insurance is going to pay, I'd get another pair. I had three pairs.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

nupe
01-08-2006, 12:19 AM
I wish I knew more about stockings when i was pg. Since I have learned about the Juzo ones, I will get those if I ever need them in the future. I only tried the over the knee ones from Eckerd (never could get in to get fitted for real ones) and they kept falling down, so I think I would try panty hose style next time. Not sure if my experience is that helpful. Nupe

sophiesmom
01-08-2006, 10:34 AM
the thigh highs drive me crazy. some days they stay up ok, but some days they roll down all the time, especially when i use the bathroom, the pants push them down.. they definitley help the pain, but these are so beat up i think the compression is decreased.

i will have to think fast to decide if i want to try the full hose or another thigh high, plus decide if i should order from that site (cheaper) or go to the pharmacy where i can get them asap. will have to double check my insurance too to see how many they will cover.
thanks!

s7714
01-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I loved the full hose as they also provided belly support. My belly would actually start to ache when I wasn't wearing them (and of course my legs ached too, but that's a given ;) .)

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

sophiesmom
01-09-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm just wondering if the full hose are a pain, moreso with going to the bathroom all the time! How are they getting them on in general too?

sunriseiz
01-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Stephanie,

Oh, I am sorry to hear things are getting worse! You know my experience with the full pantyhose weren't so great, BUT they were no worse than regular non-pg hose IMO. Especially if your insurance will help, I would say get them fast. I think every step of the way I waited too long so things got even worse than they would have other wise. You may recall that mine are at the "top" and working their way down. The V2 supporter has made a great difference (thank you!!!), but things keep creeping downward. Since hose weren't helping, DH had the brilliant idea to try athletic thigh supporters (like for when you have a pulled hamstring or something..they wrap around and velcro on). These have been lifesavers too. I don't know how much of your legs are having trouble, but you might consider something like this as well. Now I am wearing 2 thigh braces, sometimes a knee brace, the V2, AND my 'belly belt'...I really look like I'm ready for something athletic! LOL! Anyway, I don't know if any of this helps, but I'd say try what ever you can!

Good luck!
Sunny :)

sunriseiz
01-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Stephanie,

Oh, I am sorry to hear things are getting worse! You know my experience with the full pantyhose weren't so great, BUT they were no worse than regular non-pg hose IMO. Especially if your insurance will help, I would say get them fast. I think every step of the way I waited too long so things got even worse than they would have other wise. You may recall that mine are at the "top" and working their way down. The V2 supporter has made a great difference (thank you!!!), but things keep creeping downward. Since hose weren't helping, DH had the brilliant idea to try athletic thigh supporters (like for when you have a pulled hamstring or something..they wrap around and velcro on). These have been lifesavers too. I don't know how much of your legs are having trouble, but you might consider something like this as well. Now I am wearing 2 thigh braces, sometimes a knee brace, the V2, AND my 'belly belt'...I really look like I'm ready for something athletic! LOL! Anyway, I don't know if any of this helps, but I'd say try what ever you can!

Good luck!
Sunny :)

o_mom
01-09-2006, 03:57 PM
I liked the regular ones, for the reasons mentioned (tummy support), but the key is to make sure you get long enough ones. I think Juzo and Sigvaris come in regular and tall, but Jobst for some reason does not. I am not at all tall (5' 7"), but needed the tall ones from Sigvaris - the regular just kept sliding down. It is a major PITA to have the crotch dangling half way to your knees. :-)

I had Juzo with my first preg. and Sigvaris with the second and liked the Sigvaris slightly better.

s7714
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Towards the very, very end of my PG it would take several minutes to get a pair on. But a lot of it was pausing to catch my breath as I could hardly take a deep breath under normal conditions let alone trying to bend over to pull things up my legs. I never really found them to be that bothersome once on. Yes, it did take a minute longer to use the bathroom every time, but unless I pulled them down past my thighs, it wasn't that difficult to pull them back up again. The top part is usually pretty stretchy, like regular panty hose, and not as difficult to squwirm into like the legs.

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

barbarhow
01-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Stephanie-what size are you? I have a pair of sigvaris NIP-they were replacement ones that I never wear. I was going to list them to sell. I would be happy to just get my $20 copay back. Let me know.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!