PDA

View Full Version : Tall Maternity Clothes

longtallsally
02-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Just thought I'd share my experience in case it helps other tall mothers-to-be...

I am 6'1, weighed 165, and was a size 14 prior to pregnancy. I am now 36 weeks along and have had a lot of trial-and-error experience finding tall maternity clothing. I find that JCPenney had the best tall maternity capris and slacks. I like tall Gap maternity jeans the best.

Maternity tops have been my biggest challenge. Most are too short, either in bodice length, overall length, or sleeve length (of course). Since I don't like to wear empire-waist tops where the waistband comes up over my boobs, or tent-like tee-shirts that end at my waist, I have worn Lane Bryant (LB) knit tunic-length tops instead.

I have found that plus-sizes tend to run longer than regular sizes (eg. 31 inches long for a 14/16 tunic top) and the extra length covers up the elastic waist bands/panels on my maternity pants. LB has a lot of 3/4 length sleeves, eliminating the too-short-in-the-sleeves issue. They even have some cute, fancy blouses, camisoles and duster-length sweaters that I have worn for Christmas parties, formal dinner functions, and family portraits.

I'm sure other plus-size tops would work for tall women just as well as LB, I just haven't had any experience with them. I have to do all my shopping online, since I live in Japan and can't shop for clothes on the local economy.

I signed up for the LB e-mails and have gotten some really good deals, thanks to their coupon codes and "gift cheques". LB shipping is fast; once I ordered something and received it in five days. When I have ordered from Gap and Old Navy, my items have taken SIX weeks to arrive! JCPenney shipping usually takes a couple of weeks. All four retailers have been good about returns/exchanges.

I hope that other tall ladies & online shoppers find this info helpful!

L.