PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Formal Maternity Outfit?

psophia17
05-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I just bought this dress off of eBay, for the bargain price of about $30USD
http://www.ssb6.net/users/20439/dsp_102_6995.jpg
It's a Gap XXL, and has adjustable straps and a side zipper, so MIL and I can take it in if needed. I'm also hoping it's long enough that I can sneak some shorts on underneath, to help avoid the whole thigh-rubbing thing that kills me every summer, preggo or no...

BTW, the eBay store I picked it up at seems pretty wonderful, if you already know what you're looking for - it's from http://stores.ebay.com/BELLE-BLUE-FASHIONS.

--------------------------------
For when I'm 7mos pg?

We just got an invite to a wedding in mid-August. It's a formal wedding. You've got to be kidding me.

Oh well - any ideas on what I could wear that's formal, will fit a heavily pg woman (I tend to carry in front), and that doesn't look like curtains/drapes?

And where could I get this creation?

Oh yeah - and it needs to be cheap. I don't figure I will be wearing a lot of formal maternity-wear ever again.

stefani
05-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi Petra,

When I was 6 month pregnant I attended a wedding. What I got was a long black skirt and separately I bought a tafetta maternity blouse (short-sleeved). Would something like that be considered formal enough?

Let me see if I remember where I got them. It was online for the blouse for sure, and the skirt I may have gotten it from JC Penney.

Let me see if later I can post pictures and add more details.

psophia17
05-15-2006, 12:59 PM
In the paraphrased words of several friends - just let someone try and give a heavily pg woman grief about her choice of formal wear for an August wedding.

A friend has offered me a dress that will hopefully fit (both me and the bill!)...maybe the key will be in my hair and accessories...cross your fingers!

A skirt with a fancy blouse is good back-up, though...if you can find pics, I'd appreciate them :)

stefani
05-15-2006, 10:22 PM
OK, the skirt I ended up getting was from a local consignment store, but the top was from www.motherhood.com I looked there briefly, and there are some "social occasion tops" that are reasonably priced.

Mine looked like this:
(the color is burgundy, but it looked too dark in the pictures)

psophia17
05-15-2006, 10:25 PM
That could do, I think. I'll have a look around and see if I can find anything similar locally. We don't have JCPennys here in Canada, but my aunt is heading to the states soon, maybe she can look for something for me.

DH won't let me ask the bride how formal she means for us to be. Formal is less formal than black tie, right?

new_mommy25
05-16-2006, 03:47 AM
I loved Japanese Weekend while pregnant. Their clothes are very comfy and stylish. http://www.japaneseweekend.com/

Jo..
05-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Party Definitions (from About.com)

"Black Tie means formal. Men wear tuxedos, women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

White Tie means ultra-formal. Men wear full dress, with white tie, vest, shirt. Women wear long gowns.

Formal usually means the same as Black Tie, but in some trendier cities like New York or Los Angeles, it could mean a black shirt, no tie with a tux. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates. "

Dressy evening separates sounds promising...

psophia17
05-16-2006, 11:33 AM
They sure do have a lot of tube top/strapless numbers these days. Is flashing the guests inappropriate at a formal wedding? ;)

The tops sure do look comfy, though...maybe if I can find some summery pants.

Susan in OR
05-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Check out Target.com, then go to women, scroll down to Maternity.

Liz Lange for Target has a couple of maternity little black dresses (under $30) that you could accessorize with a pretty colorful/silky shawl and/or jewelry.

I actually found a book at my local library about high fashion during pregnancy by Liz Lange & it definitely gave me some ideas I hadn't considered, without having to go to the high priced collections.

Just make sure you're comfortable -- is this a daytime or a nighttime affair, inside or outdoors, etc.

Susan

giraffemom
07-04-2006, 12:22 AM
I had to go to a formal wedding Saturday and ended up getting this dress at Motherhood Maternity.
http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=18731161&category_Name=Social+Occasion+Dresses&Category_Id=1161&MasterCategory_Id=26
It wasn't as long as I wanted but I was under the gun and struck out at Penney, Target, and Old Navy. None of them had maternity dresses at the stores.

I dressed it up with formal jewelry and a formal handbag.

ErinMC
07-09-2006, 07:56 PM
VERY cute! Let us know how it works out.

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
... and Baby Logan! May 20, 2006

psophia17
07-09-2006, 08:52 PM
It's here, and it fits great. MIL is going to take the top in just a touch (the side seams gape a touch - I have plus-size boobs, but don't have arms and shoulders to match, and that's a good thing except for clothes).

Wedding #1 of this summer is next weekend, so I'll post pics of that outfit soon, and the wedding that this dress is for is August 6, so that's when there will be more pics...

The lady who runs the store I got this dress from was so helpful and nice - if I ever need to, I'll buy from her again.