PDA

View Full Version : Birthing Ball

Bean606
05-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I am looking for a good quality, but inexpensive 65 cm birthing ball with pump. Any recommendations on where to purchase one are welcome. I have seen a bunch online, but they all look the same to me, and I don't want to get one that is going to burst the first time I try it. Thanks!

Momof3Labs
05-26-2006, 03:26 PM
aka exercise balls - we got one at wal-mart!

tina-t
05-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Got an exercise ball from Target. The brand was Gaiam. It is the same thing that they use as a birthing ball.

scarletsmommy
05-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I hate to show my ignorance, but I have been dying to ask. What do you use a birthing ball for? I am about 23 weeks pregnant. Would it do me any good?

Momof3Labs
05-27-2006, 09:07 PM
The birthing ball was heavenly when I was in labor!!

brittone2
05-28-2006, 11:15 AM
They are also good for getting baby into a good position pre-birth (can help prevent things like the baby being posterior which can cause back labor).

www.spinningbabies.com has good info if you want to read more.

Sitting slouched/leaning back a lot can make it hard for some babies to get into a good position, but using the birthing ball makes it more likely you'll sit with good posture. It can help with back pain and just sitting on it alone works your abdominal and back muscles in a subtle way.

psophia17
05-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Whatever you get, just make sure it's anti-burst - my ball is rated to 1100lbs, so I think I'm safe for a while yet.

You can also call your local gym or YMCA to ask if they have any for sale there - mine does for super-cheap, because they get theirs wholesale.

Bean606
05-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the input.

daisymommy
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
www.birthwithsol.com sells some that are not only anti-burst, but slow leak if they were to ever be punctured or burst, so you wouldn't slam down onto your behind :) They also sell soft flannel covers for them.

I used a birthing ball to bounce on to get my cervix to really open up quickly, and to roll back and forth on to widen the birthing canal. My labor ended up being a quick 3.5-4 hrs. start to finish. I am convinced the birthing ball really helped with this!