PDA

View Full Version : I found a great nursing tank top! (UPDATE with comparison)

chrissyhowie
06-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Had to post a rave about a new nursing friendly tank top I just got. It's made by Emma Jane, a UK company of maternity underwear. I've been resisting urge to get Glamourmom tanks given their hefty pricetag. I'm so happy to find something that is stylish and nursing-friendly that is priced right! I purchased the Emma Jane nursing tank top from an Ebay seller named chocmama5.
Here's the link to the company website for the tank top:
http://www.emma-jane.com/tops821.htm
(**disclaimer: I am not affliated with either the company or this ebay seller**)

This tank top is great! I got the lilac color, which is a beautiful shade. It has the same cut out holes in the support shelf bra as the Glamourmom tanks and easy to open snaps on the straps. The tank is not too short, like some tank styles can be. Best of all, I didn't have to pay $40 for a tank top! With shipping included, it ended up costing about $25.

If you are interested in them, search for the ebay seller chocmama5. I liked it so much that I ended up purchasing two more, this time in black. I can't wait for them to arrive. You can also email her directly (her name happens to be Emma too) at [email protected] and she will work out a deal with you (that's how I ordered the two black tanks).

My DH thinks I'm nuts over how happy I am over a tank top, but I know you ladies would understand my joy :).

**Edited to add an update**
I got the two Emma Jane black tanks and they are fantastic! I also recently got a Glamourmom nursing tank dress off ebay, which I think is basically like a very long tank top, so I can now get a decent sense of the differences between the two. I can definitely say that I prefer the style and design of the Emma Jane tanks.

The Glamourmom is heavier and hotter for this summertime weather. Like the person who posted below, some might prefer the higher cotton content, but I prefer the weight and weave of the Emma Jane fabric. It is much more breathable.

In addition, I find the Glamourmom chest band to be kind of wide and itchy for whatever reason. It's probably designed for those more well endowed than me (which is just about everyone LOL). I much prefer the shelf bra in the Emma Jane tanks.

The mesh pockets to hold the nursing pads in place on the Glamourmom tanks are a nice design touch though. Definitely holds the pads in place a little better, although not worth the extra pricetag for me.

The shoulder strap clasps on the Emma Jane tank are easier to manipulate one handed, yet they are very secure. I don't worry about them popping open. I have a harder time opening and closing the Glamourmom clasps.

They are both well designed tanks. Definitely great for summertime and layering. The differences between them are really more up to an individual's taste versus a definite design advantage. But with the lower price tag and for me better features, I prefer the Emma Jane tanks.

HTH,

Wife_and_mommy
06-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Cool. :) Will have to check her out.

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

new_mommy25
06-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Does it have the mesh to keep in nursing pads like the GM tops?

chrissyhowie
06-22-2006, 05:41 PM
No, it doesn't have a mesh area, but I don't find I need it with this tank. I use the Lansinoh pads, so they have a small sticky area. While those sticky spots are useless in some of my clothes, I don't have any problem with the pads shifting if there is a shelf bra.

citymama
06-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the tip -- I have been wanting to get something like GM that doesn't cost as much. But my hesitation is that it's only 45% cotton unlike GM which is 95% cotton. I am not a fan of synthetics...

Anyone know of mostly-cotton GM-like tanks? Otherwise, GM is about to get another chunk of change from me...:-)

mldflygirl
07-08-2006, 08:46 PM
So glad you posted the tip! I've been looking for something like that! I'll have to go check it out.

ErinMC
07-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't need/wear breast pads, so would the lilac tank have enough coverage - meaning that it wouldn't be see-through?

Thanks - these look great!

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
... and Baby Logan! May 20, 2006

chrissyhowie
07-10-2006, 04:59 PM
It has a bit of a bullseye effect, given the light color, when worn without the pad. It's not too bad, though I'd be more comfortable with a pad in there.

HTH,

ErinMC
07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Bummer, that's what I was afraid of. I'm paranoid enough that I know I'd never wear it if I bought one and was wooried about the bullseye. Thanks for the feedback!

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
... and Baby Logan! May 20, 2006

tina-t
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi Chrissy, how did you determine your size? Do you base it on your current bra size or the usual size shirt that you wear? I usually wear a size small but my bra size now is a 38. I'm confused if i should order a small or medium.

Thanks.

mldflygirl
07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Chrissy,

I was just going to ask you a similar question... did the sizes seem to run small or large or anything? I'm always afraid of buying something online & it not fitting right. But I really like the look & description of that top!

chrissyhowie
07-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Christina, congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

I usually wear size small tops too, but I almost always order mediums for post-partum clothes unless I know for certain they run really big. I'd much rather have something fit too loosely than try to squeeze into them, especially with engorged boobs LOL.

I got the medium size for these Emma Jane tanks and they fit me perfectly. I have a medium in the Glamourmom tank dress. It's almost too snug in the chest band area -- I can't even imagine what a small would be like. Seems like these kind of tanks tend toward the smaller side.

HTH,

chrissyhowie
07-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey! Garrett and Jonas almost share a birthday :). Congratulations to you and your family!

mldflygirl
07-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Chrissy. :) And congrats to you too!

Well, I ordered one of those tops, and I'm all excited about it now. I've been *looking* for something exactly like that, in my price range! I have a bunch of button-up shirts I can't button now because my chest is too big, and my 2 old tanks that I'd wear under them don't fit anymore either. This top will greatly expand my wardrobe!

tina-t
07-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi Chrissy, thank you!

I went ahead and ordered one in medium. She did not have any black left so I went with the lilac. Can't wait to get it and try it on.

chrissyhowie
07-13-2006, 05:13 PM
See, I knew someone would understand my joy ;).

I seriously wear these tops continuously these days. They make me do my laundry because I want to wear them again, so they are good for more than just nursing LOL.