PDA

View Full Version : where to shop...

megs4413
08-05-2006, 11:24 PM
i really don't know where all I can find maternity clothes. I don't want to look online cause i need to try on....i go to old navy most, but I went there recently and tried almost everything they had on and only found a couple things i liked (so i bought them)...i think motherhood is so hard to look around in cause there's so much crammed into such a small space. i always feel lost when I go in there...I never find anything at Target, but I think the Target by us has a limited selection of maternity stuff and not all the stuff that other Targets carry. Where else can I go IRL (not online) to look at maternity clothes?

jillc
08-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi Megs,

Those are pretty much the places that I've been able to go to & I share your comments about all of them. It's tough! I found a lot at Old Navy w/my last pregnancy & now this time I'm not so impressed.

I have recently picked a couple of cute items in the maternity section at Baby Gap. The stuff is pretty pricey compared w/Old Navy & Motherhood (I hate the quality @ Motherhood, btw), but I found a cute basic t-shirt & a cute pair of chocolate brown capris both on clearance for $9.99. Score!

I also picked up a couple basic t-shirts at Motherhood. 2/$20. Again, I don't think their quality is great, but the price was right to get me through the next several months for everyday wear.

Hope this helps a bit. Hope you have good luck shopping.
Jill

rockchick15
08-06-2006, 08:51 AM
my favorite places to shop were Gap Maternity, Old Navy, and Mimi Maternity. Mimi is a little pricey and runs small. I did get a few things at Target, but their style was kinda blah. The real Liz Lange collection was nicer, but way too pricey!! I also bought online through Japanese Weekend and Babystyle, and 2chix (for cute tees and tanks). I had to return a few things, but most things fit just fine. Burlingtom Coat Factory also had a few things I liked, mainly jeans by Angels. Surprisingly cheap and well made. IMHO, MHood quality leaves alot to be desired. It has gotten better over the years, but alot of their tops didn't last my entire pregnancy. Their tees shrunk way too much in the wash, even on cold. Mimi had a few items that I wasn't impressed with their quality either. Thin tees mostly. But, their jeans are great, especially their Essentials line.

I absolutely LOVE Due Maternity, but never bought anything due to prices. Next time though, I am going to splurge a bit!! Check them out at DueMaternity.com If you like funky and hip, this is the site!! Good luck!!!

egoldber
08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
This pregnancy I've gotten most of my things at JC Penney. Things are always on sale and you can return stuff on sale, unlike at Motherhood and Mimi which just annoys me no end. I do still have a ton of stuff from my previous pregnancies from Motherhood though, so I have found (at least their older stuff) holds up well. I have a few things from Target too.

megs4413
08-06-2006, 05:26 PM
I didn't know JCpenney had maternity stuff...where is it in the store???

egoldber
08-06-2006, 05:54 PM
In my store, its next to the "Womens" section.

deenass
08-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Sears and Kohl's also have maternity sections.

babyready
08-06-2006, 08:10 PM
I was also going to mention Kohl's. When I was pregnant with dd #1 everything there was really ugly and made with horrible fabric but I checked it out a couple of months ago and they looked like they had a few nicer things.

HallsofVA
08-06-2006, 08:17 PM
I've been a big fan of Gap Maternity, but usually end up purchasing online since the maternity section at the local Baby Gap is so small, doesn't seem to carry my size, and they hang the sale shirts up too high for my 5'2" body to reach! All the stuff I really loved from my last pregnancy came from the Gap, and I found it to be most true to pre-pregnancy sizes, though this time around it's been much more hit and miss. I especially like that you can order shorter length (Ankle) pants from them, to keep me from having to get regular length pants hemmed.

Kohl's also carries a very limited selection of Maternity clothes. Macy's also carries maternity clothes, though they seem to carry alot of Motherhood stuff, along with other brands.

Gap, Target, Lands End/Sears, JCPenney and Old Navy all allow you to return purchases made online to a B&M store. I find it much easier to order on line, and return what doesn't work, then spending endless hours combing through the local stores to see 1) if they have anything I like, and 2) if it's available in my size.

rockchick15
08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
in my JC Penney, it is next to womens, and is only about 3 racks total. Nothing more.

rockchick15
08-07-2006, 08:06 PM
My Macy's has Mimi section, which is great because I can use my Macy's card. I have to say most of my favorite stuff has come from Gap and Mimi. Even though they are both relatively pricey, the quality is pretty darn good. I looked in Kohls around my area and YUCK! And, the prices weren't that great either. Sears, well lets just say there were only about 3-4 racks in all and it was all hideous. Maybe it is different in other areas. Besides, for $10 more, I could buy a pair of jeans from Gap on sale or from Mimi's Essentials line.

egoldber
08-08-2006, 06:44 AM
I would guess that mine has about 8 racks. It is mostly just basics, but thats all I was really looking for. I have lived in my handful of JCP tanks this summer.

rockchick15
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
where i used to live, they had more of a selection. And they do have a better selection online and in catalog.

kochh2
08-11-2006, 02:49 PM
*blush** I have taken to stalking some of our more well stocked goodwills, as I have seen some amazing bargains there, especially on pants... As of yet, i have not needed to buy anything else, but i am sure being my second pregnancy, i will need them sooner!! just a thought, if you're open to it...

ITA about selection though, it was pretty easy with a summer preg. to find comfy, nice looking things, but this time around is another story!!

:)

Zana
08-14-2006, 04:09 PM
ROSS!!

I am on extremely tight budget and hate the quality at Old Navy. The sales racks at Sears, JCP didnt have a great selection...so I stopped by Ross, they have 2 racks of maternity stuff and I got really nice maternity jeans, khakhi's and cargo pants all for $12.99 each and some nice tops for work from $5.99 -$9.99.

ohiomom
08-14-2006, 07:49 PM
No need to blush at all! Given how short a time you need these clothes and the fact that it's hard to find anything decent, it's just expanding your selection IMHO. I scored a $5 black microfiber Mimi wrap black jacket at Salvation Army this year to wear to a conference and got all of my favorite pants (mostly gap) at our kids resale shop that has a small maternity section. Otherwise my favs have come from gap outlet and gap maternity (was in Chicago -- Mich ave store has great selection. The Gap khakis from Chicago store were pricier than I'd usually spend (close to $60/pr), but I knew I'd wear them a lot and i have -- at least once a week each, if not more. They look like "normal" pants and coworkers have even commented that they can't believe I still fit in "normal" pants. I laugh and hike up my shirt for a quick show-and-tell.

safarimom
08-15-2006, 11:37 AM
I also got a bunch of stuff at Ross for a fraction of the price of other stores. While the selection can be limited, the prices certainly can't be beaten. Even better is when some of the items go on clearance. They don't have basic foundation items like sleepwear, bras or panties though.

lisams
08-15-2006, 01:49 PM
I had really good luck when I was PG the first time with consignment stores. Most of the children's consignment stores around here have a section of maternity clothes. I never found shirts that I liked (they usually had stains on them or looked really worn), but was able to find some comfy and nice looking pants and shorts.

JulieL
08-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Motherhood in West County mall is qutite big, much better than SC Mall. They also have a play/tv area. Nine months In Stlye on Manchester is nice but expensive. Kangaroo Kids has a great used selection and just started carrying Glamourmom tanks (new) too.

hth

mama4jc
08-20-2006, 02:05 PM
I also love the Gap (online & B&M), H&M (only some stores have a maternity section but it's affordable and cute!) and Old Navy. I've also gotten a few nicer pieces from Mimi, though their return policy often turns me away from even browsing. With Gap.com, I've purchased the same thing in several sizes just to try on (plus it added up so I could get free shipping) and then returned the rest that did not fit to a local store (so no return shipping fees, either). HTH!