PDA

View Full Version : Petite Maternity clothes???

lilbit
09-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I am short....5'3" with short arms and legs. My extremities are swimming in all the maternity fashions I've been trying on. I look ridiculous. I don't remember this problem last time... I guess I wore alot of crops before, but it is getting cold here and I would like long pants!

Any recommendations short of going to the tailor? I really miss LE maternity :(

Momof3Labs
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Old Navy, JC Penney, Sears, Mimi maternity, eBay...

jillc
09-14-2006, 10:49 PM
I think Gap Maternity has pants in "short" length.

tarynsmum
09-15-2006, 09:09 AM
I had this same problem we I was pregnant with DD. I like my sleeves long (knuckle-brushing), so that wasn't really a problem, but ever pair of pants I owned was at LEAST 2 inches too long. I either rolled them or hemmed them, and left it at that (I was too tired to go from store to store trying all the pants on). I mostly bought from Mimi, etc, if that helps.

lilbit
09-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. I already checked the JC Penny near me and they have literally 2 small racks of maternity :( I just got back from Sears and the Two Hearts (made by Motherwear) pants in Petite are STILL a couple of inches too long! I don't get it, I'm not THAT short!

Ugh, anyway, when DD's napping I will check out the GAP "short" pants online. Hopefully I'll have some luck :)

lisams
09-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I wonder if once you get a bigger belly if the pants don't fit so long. I've started wearing my maternity pants from when I was pregnant with DD and they seem longer but once I stretch out the belly part they seem to shorten up a bit. Still doesn't help the problem you have now though. I am 5'3" and seem to be right in between petite and regular length, it's such a pain to find pants that fit right so I feel your pain!

rockchick15
09-17-2006, 02:31 PM
well, i wore lost from Gap Maternity, and I am 5'2". I wore their ankle length and it worked pretty good for me. Also, Mimi has a few things in petite legths. As for shirts, I am large chested so I was forced to buy sizes L and XL in most tops for them to fit me. Sometimes the arm lengths were too long and I would have to push them up, but it wasn't too bad.

brittone2
09-17-2006, 10:48 PM
i'm right there with you. Some companies mentioned (old navy, gap, etc.) do carry shorter lengths, but not in all styles and that can make it hard.

I am 5'2" ish and everything is long. A lot of shirts are made with low necklines that are really really low if you are short. This summer when I wanted to buy some tank tops/sleeveless shirts/dresses, a lot of stuff hung SOOOOO low up top it looked ridiculous (like I needed the straps shortened by a foot LOL).

I also do not get blessed with big boobs in pregnancy (in the first few months of BFing I did last time, but not until then), and everything is cut huge in the chest, and looks ridiculous at times due to that too.

I need to do some maternity clothes shopping for fall but I'm not really into it. It gets discouraging!

I hope you find some brands that fit you well!

lilbit
09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
LOL, I hear you on the shirts! I love the low V, wrap type look that's so popular in maternity, but all of those shirts show a ridiculous amount of cleavage on me!

Well, I ordered two pair of "ankle" pants from GAP, hopefully they will work. Last pregnancy I ordered a couple of really cute GAP shirts on ebay...they still have the tags on because they are huge on my arms/chest....sigh.

ilfaith
09-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I found Gap and Old Navy ankle/short length pants ran quite short. In fact I found some of the pants I bought were too short for me (I'm 5'2") to wear with hy usual heels (although by the end of my pregnancies I didn't want to wear heels anyway). I find Old Navy bottoms run big and their tops run smallish. Gap ran more true to my pre-pg size.

Also for tops, I think Motherhood shirts run on the small side (they always ended up too short on me once I really popped). I've had two summer babies, however, so long sleeves were never an issue for me.

skipspin
09-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm also just barely 5'2" and wear an A normally, maybe a B in the last trimester, maybe.

I have found two things. First, I have some non-maternity camisols that I wear under anything that opens or is too low. I got them at Petite Sophisticate when I worked there while pg with DD. I actually saw some that were the same fabric at Motherhood the other day. I love the nude colored one because they go with everything. They are thin and stretchy, so they aren't hot and they don't "flatten" since they go ever your bra and are stretchy. The other thing is I just look around a lot more. This pg I have the added complication (and blessing) of a three year old so a borderline neck gets pulled down even more if I am helping her reach the sink at the public restroom, lifting her into the car, etc. I have some nice stuff I got used that is H&Mmama brand. I don't know where it's from but the x-smalls work great in early pg, and they are snug enough and high enough that I don't have the "falling off" problem. I'm living in them now because everything else looks dumb. I think they'll fit for two more months or so.

I also love the Gap ankle legnth roll panel jeans I have, but I never wear heels, or they probably would be too short.

Hope that helps.

skipspin
09-18-2006, 03:44 PM
double post

gisele
09-18-2006, 10:29 PM
JC Penney has a lot of petite maternity sizes. You need to pick up the maternity catalog at the store. Most of the stores won't actually carry the petite sizes in there. I am 5 ft, 2.5 in. I ordered a few pairs of jeans in petite sizes from JC Penney catalog and the length was perfect.

cbscherer
09-20-2006, 05:26 PM
First, I have some non-maternity
>camisols that I wear under anything that opens or is too low.
>I got them at Petite Sophisticate when I worked there while pg
>with DD.

I loved Petite Sophisticate. I have no idea why the closed those stores. Me, my mom and sisters were CRUSHED (we are all short).

lilbit
09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Just a follow up to let you know my GAP ankle length pants are great. I got a baby wale stretch cord that is so soft and plenty long! I probably would have gotten one size smaller had I been able to try them on, but that's OK since I'm going to be expanding rapidly over the next 20 weeks ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

amck
10-04-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm 5'1 and swear by Old Navy XS short, when I can find them. Today (I'm 17 wks) I am wearing size 4 jeans and I cut off the bottom. I don't care what the bottom looks like b/c they make the rest of me look so darn good! :)

kboyle
10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
at barely 5' i found that gap's ankle length & old navy's pants were perfectly fine for me. i also have a pair of xs mimi pants that really on an ankle fit for me.

maybe i've got long legs....length was never a problem for me, it was always waist & tops, i have no boobs..even when pg and most tops were just huge on me.