PDA

View Full Version : Casual maternity clothes recommendations needed!

youngmommy
11-06-2006, 09:22 AM
I've read really great reviews for these t-shirts:

http://shadeclothing.com/Maternity-BabyTee.aspx
http://shadeclothing.com/Maternity-CapSleeve.aspx

If you do a search for "shade clothing" you will get several reviews.
Sorry I don't have first hand experience yet, but I plan to order some soon. Their non-maternity shirts look great too, esp for that transition time where you don't need maternity, but do need extra length. I think there's another post about exactly that idea!

HTH!

daisymommy
11-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I really liked GAP maternity clothes. Most of my jeans and tee-shirt tops, & sweaters are from there. I also liked the fit of most Old Navy pants as well.

I hated anything from Babystyle because while it looked cute in the magazine, it always fit weird and shrank-up really badly.

elizabethkott
11-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I've had the best luck with Gap and Old Navy Maternity. I have discovered that I have to buy the Old Navy cotton shirts up one size because as I get bigger, they just aren't long enough to fully cover the belly to my comfort level. They also have some really great sweaters and performance fleece zip-ups right now that are very very comfortable.
I've had somewhat of a jeans struggle, since my thighs have well, spread out, since the beginning of my pregnancy. I have a pair of the roll panel ones from the gap that *started* with some stretch, but just don't seem to do it the way they used to, kwim? :)
Oh, and I did find a turtleneck that I am IN LOVE WITH at H&M... I didn't even know they had maternity clothes!
HTH!

Erin_Matts_Mom
11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
I loved my gap maternity jeans. My favorite maternity t-shirts were by Olian. They were super soft and comfy. They are definitely fitted. I've only seen Olian in boutiques or online.

Dcclerk
12-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks so much for everyone's feedback. I really wish that I had an H&M store near me because it seems right up my alley. Based upon your recommendations, I have been stalking the GAP and Old Navy websites and have come up with a few good staples. I also have gotten a bunch of non-maternity Shade and Layers shirts. They go so far down , and they don't look tentlike at all. Those St. James Carol pants look VERY similar to a pair of pants I just got at Babystyle, so I suspect I will be living in those, too.

Thanks, again, for all of your help.

August Mom
01-08-2007, 09:21 PM
I have really comfy jeans from Gap with the type of band you are talking about. Some of them are on sale right now for $29.99 at gap.com (and can be even less in the store).

I'm still working on tops. I got some from Gap, but they really haven't been washed much so I'm not sure how they'll wear. I just picked up a couple of sweaters from Kohls (from some division of Motherhood) that I really like the looks of, mainly because they are 3/4 sleeves and my arms are too short for all the long sleeved maternity tops. There were also some hooded ribbed cardigans there in blue, brown and white.

cmdnewton
01-09-2007, 10:51 AM
As I am four weeks away from my due date, I can tell you that I am pretty much over ALL maternity clothes.....

As for my recommendations, I will start by telling you that I am somewhat of a denim snob, so I spent a lot of time looking for the perfect jeans....here is what I bought and how I feel about them...

Habitual - first pair of maternity jeans I bought when I really didn't need to buy maternity clothes yet. I liked the style, the dark wash, the fact that they didn't have a panel or fold down material....what I felt would be the perfect maternity jean, except for the fact that they ended up fitting for only another month or so. They are supposed to fit under your belly, but I can't imagine how comfortable that would be now that I have a belly. Kind of a bummer to pay almost $200 for jeans that you wear for a month.

Citizens of Humanity - these were stylish every day jeans. They have the pull up stretchy fabric waist (for lack of a better description) that I wore down. Citizens was the only brand that my local maternity boutique would not guarantee to fit the entire pregnancy. After about two months, they still fit, but the section where the denim met the fabric on the waist started to feel tight when I sat down. Overall, I liked them, but maybe not worth the $180. These are jeans that I will be wearing once the baby is born and before I am into my pre-preg jeans, so maybe worth the $$.

Maternal America - I LOVED these! They still fit at 35 weeks, but I wore them last week and was fine when I was standing and walking around, but they are now not so comfortable when I sit down. I found that these were more comfortable than the Citizens, but half the price. I was told that they were more flattering than the Citizens.

and that leads me to the Gap - I swore I would never buy Gap jeans....and let me tell you, I broke down and bought a pair with the roll down waist and I now wear them EVERYDAY. Plus, I think that they were $50. Overall, I find that the Gap is really hit or miss on "stylish" maternity jeans.

I hope that helps....

writermama
01-13-2007, 03:05 PM
I can't help you with T's (I lived in Old Navy v-neck t's, which were comfy and washed well, but pretty plain), but for Jeans I had a pair from Gap that I loved.

There was an old commercial that said something like "the average woman tries on 11 pairs of jeans to find one that fits." I took that pretty literally and ordered 1 pair of every jean from Gap that looked even remotely interesting to me. After 14 pairs, I found one I loved. Thank goodness for free shipping coupons and free returns to stores.

jadwiga
01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
i am 15 weeks pregnant and beginning to outgrow my "fat jeans" if you know what i mean....

i've tried TARGET and HATE the selection and material.

i've tried OLDNAVY but for some reason the pants are all too short on me and even when i buy a size larger, the jeans still become floods (note that i am only 5'6--nothing fits right at old navy).

its so frustrating since these are the two shops that most people recommend...

but i have to say, yesterday i went to kohls and have to tell you i was so surprised. the selection is small but for ladies that like to wear jeans past her ankles PLEASE check out kohls (the store NOT the website).

i am a HUGE fan of JAPANESE WEEKEND + OLIAN. i have not tried to top shop yet b/c i'm just not big enough but when i start that i'll let you know.

good luck.

ps. i heard jcpenny is pretty descent....

Dcclerk
01-19-2007, 02:01 AM
I am on pregnancy #3, so you would think that I would be all set, but I'm just not.

I just got my maternity clothes back from my SIL. Some are insanely faded, and as I suspected, some I just can't fathom wearing because I apparently had some bouts of hideous taste while pregnant that last time or two ;). I can still wear my regular clothes, but it is clearly only a matter of time before that will stop working. Plus, my mom just gave me some monney that was especially earmarked for some maternity clothes, so I have decided that it it is time to go shopping. :D

Can you please give me some recommendations for the following:

1. A couple of really cute, stylish t-shirts. I liked my Michael Stars ones but they are threadbare now. I also had a couple of cute ones from NOM that have seen better days. I really didn't like the Gap tees that I had (really washed up weirdly), but if you swear they are great, I'll give it another try.

2. Great maternity jeans. I want the kind that you don't mind wearing every day and go with everything. In my stash right now I have some from NOM (shows my butt when I bend down), Babystyle (odd rinse color and fits weird at my too ample thighs), and Mimi (no stretch so not quite as comfy as my regular jeans, and I don't love the panel). I'm willing to pay if they are fantastic.

3. Adorable wear with everything skirt. I had a Babystyle denim skirt that was absolutely fantastic but it is beyond faded right now. I loved the underbelly wide band and the length and cut. It was right above the knee and A-line so I could still traipse around with the kids, but it was cute.

4. A go with everything sweater or sweatshirt. We don't really have seasons here, so this would probably be sufficient for the winter for me. I want something that I can throw on over most anything, and it still looks cute.

Overall, my favorite waist style by far is the Japanese weekend, wide elastic under the belly style. I also much prefer a longer shirt since I get freakishly large and need a lot of length to cover my enormous belly.

TIA!

Dcclerk
01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I still have not found the perfect denim skirt (although I do have some really kickass denim shorts that will probably take its place).

BUT-- all you Gap jeans girls were right. To say that I was shocked was an understatement :) But, I swear, I have on the CUTEST pair of Gap jeans right now. And, of course, this is after buying (and wearing) some maternity AG (Adriano Goldschmeid-- kind of like Seven) jeans.

These are my new favorite jeans. http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6017&pid=446979

http://www.gap.com/Asset_Archive/GPWeb/Assets/Product/446/446979/main/gp446979-00p01v01.jpg

They are really cheap ($25), super comfy (have stretch and useable pockets), and remind me of a True Religion knockoff from the back.

I also am really happy with this dress from the regular Gap. It looks super cute over some black pants. http://www.gap.com/Asset_Archive/GPWeb/Assets/Product/464/464597/main/gp464597-01p01v01.jpg
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5733&pid=464597

And, this sweater from regular Gap-- it is very long and soft (though I sized up
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=8988&pid=397902)
http://www.gap.com/Asset_Archive/GPWeb/Assets/Product/397/397902/big/gp397902-00vliv01.jpg