PDA

View Full Version : AAARRRRRGGGGHHH!

Sillygirl
11-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I HATE shopping for maternity clothes!

If the average size for a woman in this country is size 12, why do we not have sizes beyond 16? Big girls get pregnant, too.

I don't wear scratchy cheap shiny polyester when I'm not pregnant - why would I suddenly develop the urge to wear it now, when I'm most uncomfortable?

Why in the name of GOD do these designers think I want bows or ribbons or sequins to highlight my ever-expanding bosom?

Why does Old Navy make only low-rise maternity pants? Who the h*ll wears those?

And Motherhood Maternity? BITE ME! You can't have my name, address, phone number, due date, credit card application, or anything else. Here's the cash, give me the cheaply made, way overpriced slacks and let me leave your overcrowded store.

elliput
11-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I felt the same when shopping for maternity a couple of years ago. There have got to be better options somewhere that don't cost a fortune.

pb&j
11-07-2006, 03:58 PM
gap.com has maternity up to size 20, and in various length inseams as well. I lived in their pants and jeans - no shiny polyester, yay! A bit more expensive than motherhood and ON, but well worth it. Plus, I was on their email list, and always getting coupons for 10% off and/or free shipping. And things go on sale pretty regularly.

But yeah, maternity clothes suck. And I never have understood the physics of low-rise maternity pants.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35775.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

ellies mom
11-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Wow, I could have written your post. But I think you forgot a few, so let me add...

Pregnent women get larger breasts, why are all the shelf bras for an A or very small B cup?

And on the breast subject, what is up with everything being so extremely lowcut?

Ideally, prepubscent girls aren't getting pregnent, why are they designing clothes for that body type?

val01
11-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I had the best luck with JC Penney.com. Whatever, I didn't like, I just returned to the catalog desk.

Valerie

asha
11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Exactly my point. I hate those low necklines. I bought a few warm tops this time around and all of them have really deep necklines. Now, I have to go buy tanks to wear underneath them. Of course that makes these tops really warm and it is not that cold yet.

lilycat88
11-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Ditto. 90% of my maternity garb was from JC Penney. Not too expensive and not polyester.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-07-2006, 09:03 PM
amen sister

I wear a size 24 jeans and went up to and h cup when ds was born a year ago. I bought most of my stuff at once upon a child and a couple things at jcpenny. I HATED going to motherhood maternity.I actually left crying when i was pregnant w/ dd(4 yrs).Sales girl said "We only carry normal sizes,you might have better luck at a differant store." What,so they have a plus size section for what-entertainment?

Finding tops for nursing's been fun too.

Jen

ett
11-08-2006, 04:53 PM
You've said it well. I'm boycotting Motherhood Maternity right now. They signed me up for a Parenting magazine subscription which I never agreed to which I then had to call to cancel. And their return policy sucks.

And what's with all the low cut tops. I can't wear low cut stuff and besides, it's winter - it's cold in the northeast.

tarahsolazy
11-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I refuse to enter Motherhood. Last time, they directly led to my being sent a ton of junk mail, and a bunch of infant formula, which I did not want or need.

I am trying JC Penny this time myself. Order online, return in store. And everything is reasonably priced.

ITA on the styles. I don't wear the styles they are trying to copy, which appear to me to be Juniors clothes. UM, Juniors is for teens, right? I am pushing 35 here.

Sillygirl
11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm quite serious, I never carry cash but I will make a trip to the ATM to have some in hand if I have to stop by Motherhood Maternity. NEVER NEVER NEVER will I give them any way to know who I am. I don't even give them my zip code, and when they make you initial the receipt to acknowledge their LUDICROUS return policy, I even put fake initials. I know that's paranoid but I firmly believe half their income is selling their customers' names to the junk mail firms.

val01
11-09-2006, 09:43 PM
http://tinyurl.com/v6od6

Here is a link to the JC Penney plus size web page. I have bought most of my stuff at Penney's and have been pleased.

Valerie

MamaMolly
11-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Ditto on the JC Penney's suggestions. I was overseas without a maternity store in the entire freaking country (no, seriously!) and did all my maernity shopping online.

I bought pants and tops from Penneys, and also from Walmart. The tops from Walmart were cute, comfy and good prices too, and I got a great pair of pants on their clearance.

And I can't agree enough with the PP about the low rise thing. I thought it was soo gross to pass a mirror and see naked belly poking out of my pants. It has jiggled since puberty, so pregnancy only made it bigger. EEEWWWW! I bought a ton of long, super thin comfy tanks from Gap to hide it.

Good luck!
Molly

snowflake20
11-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Dude. My boobs are small. When I was pregnant, I was still like an A or B. That is just not nice. :(

ellies mom
11-11-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm sorry. Although I'm a bit jealous. I'm a 34DD not pregnant. Those shelf bras give me a true udder look. And they are in everything.

mnj77
11-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I've had good luck with target.com. The store is definitely hit or miss, but I got some black slacks and a really cute dress online. They seem well made, especially for the price. I haven't tried the plus sizes, but I just looked and they appear to have a pretty good range of sizes.

I agree with pp, I feel like I need a shower every time I go to Motherhood Maternity - I don't know if it's from the gross synthetic fabrics or the interrogations from the salespeople!

Erin_Matts_Mom
11-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I agree with everyone on Motherhood Maternity. Their return policy is absolutely ridiculous. I really don't get why a store would make their policies so unfriendly to customers.

smartblonde
11-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Honestly, I think the poiint of Motherhood's return policy is so pregnant women aren't buying clothes and then returning them after they have the baby....it probably happens more than we realize. But, 10 days is pretty strict....they could probably extend it to 30 days.

As for the bra issue, I have the opposite....I am fairly small in the chest (even though I'm a size 14) and am just now wearing a B, and can't find ANY maternity/nursing bras in my size and regular bras just don't seem to be fitting right, so it's not just the "big girls" who are having bra issues!

jestagrl79
11-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Ok, but where do you buy maternity clothes for short fat chicks?
:-) I wore size XL Old Navy mens tshirts from start to finish. I need a top that will cover my 36J breasts. I couldn't buy fitted tops before I got pregnant, and now, to get something that even covers my chest, I have to buy a size 24. I am NOT a size 24!! Women's clothing is ridiculous. I can't even find a NURSING BRA in my size! SO, I feel you. Who wants to go into business with me making real people maternity clothes?

And, on another note, until I was about 32 weeks, I wore elastic waisted pants, I think they are "Modern Knit Pants" from Lane Bryant. They fit comfy and look nice. VERY STRETCHY, and they come in petite!

Megs

http://b1.lilypie.com/mrXym5/.png