PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to being a grown up....what to wear to a xmas party?

megs4413
12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
i know it's weird that i'm on my second kid and still feel like a teenager (i'm 23) but there are life situations coming up all the time that i feel like an imposter in! DH's xmas party is coming up and it's semi formal and held at a really fancy hotel downton. from what i undersatnd it's good food and a lot of booze...i've never been to a work party...i haven't worked as an adult actually (went straight from college to mommy-hood) and don't really know what's appropriate to wear. on top of that i'm preggo! so i'll have to buy something maternity...any ideas? some of you must be going to xmas parties...where did you get your outfit!?!?!?

i'll have just started my third tri when the party happens if that helps...and i can't do anything sleeveless as i'm the pastiest white woman on the planet....black is not a good color for me! TIA!

babyready
12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I am right there with you, I totally feel like an adult imposter! I never know what to wear to these things either!

GAP did have some really great stuff but it looks like most of it is gone now. They had some sparkly tops and things that would pair nicely with black pants or a skirt. They do have an affordable black dress that looks like it would work for that sort of an occasion, or any occasion really. You could go with a simple black dress and then glam it up with some accessories.

Good luck!!

JFC
12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Okay, I know you'd rather not have black or sleeveless, but... it is the easiest thing to find/accessorize, etc. I'd try something like this dress from Old Navy:

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=5870&pid=230759&scid=230759042

Then you could get a pretty color pashmina wrap to cover your arms and add some color.

They also have some other dresses (http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=5866). There is a pretty plum colored sleeveless one, or some wrap styled ones that have sleeves.

JFC
12-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Okay, I'm back...not sure why I didn't think of this before (as I wore a similar outfit to DH's work event last month)...

What about a Sweet Pea top like this - in black or red - with a pair of black Sweet Pea mesh pants (they are flowy enough that it looks really nice, but is so comfortable - I felt like I was in my PJs). I dressed it up a bit with a big fun sparkly necklace and a low heeled pump from Aldo. HTH!

http://www.mimimaternity.com/Product.asp?category_Name=&category_Id=&product_Id=2089A3005&MasterCategory_Id=0#

leeza
12-14-2006, 09:58 PM
I ended up buying a dark red wrap top at Japanese Weekend which looks festive, and have been able to pair it with different bottoms and jewelry for different occasions. I used a pair of white pants and black flats to do Thanksgiving, and I'll wear it with a black skirt and boots for Christmas. The top is woven, not knit, with a little bit of structure and sheen, which makes it dressy enough, esp paired with sparkly accessories ;) I can also dress it down with jeans for dinner with friends, so I feel like it has more mileage than other options.

JW can be expensive, but they do have sales -- check them out and check out the options on Nordstrom's sales section. (Sales, women, maternity... )

Good luck!
Leeza
1 1/2 yo DS and another due in March